Discussion » Nonsense » Help and Advice needed!

• Martin
    Martin wrote:
    Ok so I have recently been offered a teaching position with Web International English in Beijing (http://www.webi.com.cn/en/) and I have a couple of questions about the offer which perhaps some of you guys can help me with.

Does anyone here know anything about the school? Does it have a good reputation? I have read both good and bad reviews about the school online. The bad ones are only complaining about minor problems though so im not overly concerned about that.

The salary is 14000rmb a month but they dont provide accomodation so I'm gonna be looking at around 4-5000rmb a month for rent. So I'll be left with around 10000rmb a month for expenses like food and going out and hopefully to save some money too. First of all will it be possible to live a comnfortable lifestyle on that ammount of money? I know its quite a high salary compared to the national average but it would be good to get some reassurance. Also, since they dont provide accomodation they are providing me with seven days in a hotel upon arrival while I find accomodation etc. Realistically, is seven days going to be long enough for me to find a place?

And my last big question is regarding the visa situation. The company have told me that I will have to enter China on an F or L visa (Im not sure which they said and have to double check) before then travelling to their head office in Shanghai where I will sign the work contract and then they will begin the process of aquiring my Z visa and work permit. Does this sound legitimate? Im reading stuff online that says its a bad idea to enter China on anything but a Z visa if your intention is to work. On the other hand im also reading stuff that says even though its not technically legal it is very common for teachers to enter China on a tourist visa and then convert to a Z visa upon arrival. What do you guys think is the best course of action? When I speak to the company next im going to urge them to process the Zvisa  before I arrive but if that doesn't happen then would it be best to just find another job or take the risk?

If anyone has worked at this company before or knows someone who has and can give me some info on their experience it would be massively appreciated. Also, if anyone can give me some good advice on what to do about the visa that would also be great.

Thanks in advance.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Teaching on an F visa is not DOUBLEPLUSUNGOOD UR GONNA GET THE REEDUCATED THROUGH LABOR ZOMG CAPSLOCK like the wailing ambulatory uterus upstairs suggests. There's actually some security in knowing you can walk away from an unsatisfactory employer without having to worry about them taking away your right to stay in the country.

Although enforcement of regulations and prices/availability of grey market agency visas is highly variable, you'll usually have plenty of warning before a PSB document-checking crackdown because it will be preceded by highly publicized scandals involving foreigners. But only Nigerians ever get busted, and you haven't asked us to help you transfer any money to a mysterious bank account.

If you don't need those office hours to prepare lesson plans for 25 hours of classes then you're either singing and dancing for awful little brats or you're a fucking shitheel teacher. Either way, welcome to Beijing, asshole.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    > wailing

> You have no right to be in the country if you are working and don't have a Z visa.

No, you have no right to work in the country if you don't have a Z visa, you dense motherfucker, and being forced to leave the country is only one possibility if you are caught. Last I heard the anti-loawei PSB angry fist task force is on hiatus.

I got away with teaching on Ls and Fs for three years and the only time it ever caused me any trouble was during the 2008 Olympics. A few years back I was a "visiting scholar" at a national university receiving a monthly "living expenses stipend" with a six-month F visa acquired through a tourism agency.

Country of lawls, amirite?
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    > Getting away with and being legal are different things

And fuchsia and magenta are different colors. This distinction is very fucking important in China.

Your punctuation sucks, failtroll. Keep your pony off my lawn.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    > genuine forum post by genuine English teacher answered by genuine resident of Beijing ruined by genuine pony
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... the chock is choking ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.