Discussion » Film & TV » Shanghai is Shit?

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
      Eh, have you ever heard of Shanghai Duck?
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Exactly.
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    Awww.  That mildly retarded guy is kind of sweet.

    Looking forward to being drip fed thirty seconds of this at a time over the next two or three years!
  • Rebecca Arnesen
      shanghai is the shit you mean do you?
    yes, you do.

  • Rebecca Arnesen
      you talking about vics/mix/that other really really really(like no place i've ever seen) gaudy shit club round the other side of gongti stadium whose name i forgot?
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
      No one is complaining about China.

    Can you even understand English??
  • Rebecca Arnesen
    @isidnar 
    here here
    as a bitchin' pom myself

    @εїз
    'Even though I've been to Shanghai only once for few weeks'
    this kinda invalidates what you have to say - since you have only a superficial knowledge of Shanghai, of course you'll think it's superficial. you must see this right?
    I've lived in both  BJ and the shang, both for more than 2 years (I realize this doesn't give me exclusive rights to "The Truth"), in my experience both have the good and the bad.
    I like both cities(and sometimes hate em both too) Overall I marginally prefer living in the Shang because the local people are less likely (proportionally) to hate me for no reason (had a few pretty lame Lao Beijing interactions)

    I hear many (dumb) people living in BJ hating on the Shang, and (dumb) SH people cussing out the Beej.
    As you can probably tell, I think it's pretty lame...
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    "I guess my English skills must be deteriorating. "

      It's a shame there is no possible way to check in what way you got it wrong.


  • Rebecca Arnesen

    I'm talking about foreigners who live in BJ hating on the city of shanghai and visa versa, the locals comment was just an after thought

    shanghainese people only like money. and they take baths of pure superficiality twice a day. It's on tap down here.

    good that beijing is a socialist(with chinese characteristics) paradise with it's honest and frank people eh.

    10 years. you musta met a fair few twats (both chinese and non-chinese) in that time! haha

    truthfully though, among the locals very few people in shanghai mention beijing to me (apart from shenhua supporters)
    i feel beijing people heard i'd lived in shanghai and would often start attacking SH for no real reason other than blind ignorance

    of course, blind ignorance is to be found everywhere
  • Rebecca Arnesen
    true, but i prefer people who keep their predjudices quieter (unlike myself i guess!)
    too much honesty is sometimes a little ugly when it's used to support anti-this or anti-that style views

    I don't take it too seriously. just passing time, as you say, discussing the issue ; )
    what forums are for after all

    and we should do our best not to stereotype too much, though examining stereotypes can be an interesting process sometimes

    you still live in the 'Jing?
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Appreciation for the first tier cities is mutually exclusive. Similarly, if you don't hate Japan for what they did in dubya dubya too, you have to hate Korea for trying to steal China's holidays and philosophers. These are the rules. I believe it's somewhere in WLIB's terms of service agreement.

    Isidnar just learned that the quickest way to form enduring allegiances in China is by complaining about expats who complain about China. Or Shanghai. What's the difference? Chinese geography all looks the same.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    One time I had a corndog in Wudaokou. The vendor called it a Korean hotdog.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Vendor was of Worst Koreaning. I beat him at a game of connect four using a weiqi set (aka Worst Korean checkers) by setting up a pair of intersecting lines and he said I broke Worst Korean rules.

    Murrikans were eating nitrate logs deep fried in corn batter at county fairs when Worst Koreans were eating naught but cold noodles and vinegar.

    U MAD 'cuz there is a kernel of truth to the implication of cultural appropriation.

    See what I did thar? Kernel. Corn. Get it? HAR HAR.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Japanese "Kimuchi" isn't fermented.

    Quebecois also call it "frenching."

    Frankfurters--like hamburgers--are named after a city in Germany. They might be called hotdogs because of an occasionally justified suspicion that sausages contained dog meat, commonly eaten in Germany in the early 20th century, and still eaten by their East Aryan counterparts.

    Dipping sausages in corn batter and deep frying the dog flavor out of them is a distinctly American culinary contribution which tastes like awesome and grain subsidies. However, "Putting spicy sauce on a bland and ubiquitous vegetable" will not be appearing on any of UNESCO's lists of intangible cultural heritage items deserving state protection anytime soon.
  • K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:
    Shanghai is a common prostitute wearing Burberry, no offense. 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc