Discussion » Technology » Tutorial on how to open online banking account in

• Me In Beijing 2.0
    Me In Beijing 2.0 wrote:
      Hey,

I have to say that my life in china became much easier since i started using online banking (even though my chinese reading is almost non existent). Yesterday i even used mobile banking (with alipay) for the first time. Just so you will understand why it is helpful - can order train tickets without queuing, buy electronics for cheaper and they delivered to your home within 24hr without haggling with sellers in ZGC, get 20kuai cinema tickets, buy groupbuy on the go (say lunch/dinner nearby you) for 50% discounts, or charge your phone without looking for a kiosk when it is -10 outside, etc...

If someone wants me to explain how to start with online banking i'm willing to give you a tutorial. I'm using Bank Of China (they also have english site) so can help with this one (but maybe China Construction bank is even easier). Anyway, the first step is to go to the bank and ask to open 网上银行 (Wǎngshàng yínháng), don't forget to bring your passport with you. I also i find it quite useful that they send me sms every time i use my card so i can know exactly what is my balance (so aslk them to open this option as well).  
  • Simen Wangberg
    I'm very interested in this. I keep meaning to start doing online banking but I'm a lazy bastard. I use Bank of China too - I haven't actually gone to the bank to open the 网上银行 - after I do that, what else do I need to do?
  • WeLiveInBeijingRess
     gotta make sure how much he charges for this first
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
      Bank of China seems ok. I discovered recently that if you want to transfer money to someone's account and they bank with BoC you can just go to a branch and drop the money into an ATM using "deposit with account number".

Sure beats queuing up for half an hour, spending another 30 minutes on paperwork and them having your bank phone you a week later to say they screwed up the transfer!
  • Simen Wangberg
    "gotta make sure how much he charges for this first"

I don't think the banks charge anything for online banking...? That would be kind of ridiculous.
  • WeLiveInBeijingRess
    i mean 'him'——me in beijing, the guy who was selling his account here last year, u think he'd do this for free?
  • Simen Wangberg
    "i mean 'him'——me in beijing, the guy who was selling his account here last year, u think he'd do this for free?"

Well yeah, I do. Not because he already did, but because I think it is retarded to charge people for what is essentially just a set of instructions. Same reason I don't believe in paying for language lessons, English or otherwise - the information is out there for anyone industrious enough to find it for themselves. I'm just lazy :-D

@ Me in Beijing - I appreciate the detail, I do the same thing when I give directions to people. This is exactly the info I was looking for, cheers!  
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
     。。。

Hahahahaha ... it's interesting to see this thread luring one of the animals out into the open ...

Someone said Taobao? If you know how to use PayPal, you will know how to use Alipay, they are fairly similar ... one thing about Taobao though, if you are not experienced, it is better to opt "pay upon delivery", otherwise, you could lose money for over-delayed purchase ...

Also, some bank(s) require more than just the SMS ... ICBC actually gives you a "grid card" scratchie, and every time you use it, you will need to scratch the two squares that you are asked to, read off the three digits from each square, then type in the six digits ...

Actually, if I remember correctly, BOC used to do the same thing, but it was in the form of a USB key ... not sure how it is used, and my guess is that they dont use this anymore?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... or in some of these cases, girlfriend or wife ... in plural if necessary ...
  • Simen Wangberg
    Did it! I am an online banker! Thing is, I have no idea what to do with this stupid token now that I've used it to do the e-pay thing...it's not even heavy enough to make a good paperweight.
  • K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:
    Interesting, I manage my money via the most traditional way, with counter clerk, pens and papers. It is the safest and the most reliable way, which I can manage even when I am 68.

Someone is even trying to charge people for using online banking, unbelievable...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.