Discussion » Technology » Pleco on android

• Me In Beijing 2.0
    Me In Beijing 2.0 wrote:
      Hi all techie people,

I just got my first android smartphone today and trying to install Pleco. I couldn't find it on Baidu app store but it exists on Google play, so i downloaded the Play Store app, but it crashes the moment i open it. And from what i understand, if i don't have it on my smartphone, i also can't download it from the website (i can access the website cause i use vpn) as i get a message saying". For general knowledge, i use 4.0.4 android version.

“You haven’t accessed the Google Play Store app on your device with this email account."

• Simen Wangberg
    I've gotten as far as installing the Google Play app on my phone as well (Motorola Razr XT910) and get a similar crash + error message when I try to open it. I'm guessing you're limited to using the Baidu app store? My phone only runs apps downloaded through the Motorola app store (surprise: the Motorola app store BLOWS). Any other apps crash upon opening, as you described.

I don't know enough about this stuff to give an authoritative answer, but I'd guess rooting your phone and putting a stock version of the Android operating system would fix that problem. The operating system on my phone is Android, but it's some kind of mutant version that I think was created by China Unicom to prevent people from accessing any app store other than the Motorola store. Or something.
  • Simen Wangberg
    I'm sure it depends on the phone and the mobile service provider you're using. I previously owned a Samsung Nexus that I used with the same China Unicom SIM card I use in my current phone - no issues downloading or installing apps.

I don't think they go so far as to track what you're downloading, they just make it a pain in the ass to use anything other than what they want you to use.
  • Simen Wangberg
    Hmmm. That sucks that the Gmail app doesn't work. Do you happen to know which version of Android they put on your phone? If they put any stock version of Android on there, I would think that the Gmail app would work fine.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "The problem is Google Play doesn't work here in China..."

Well, no. It works just fine in China if you're phone hasn't been fucked with. I was using Google Play on my Samsung Nexus phone last summer with no issues. My China Unicom-branded Motorola Razr, on the other hand, won't run it without crashing.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.