Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » How to respond to Celebrity received in China?

• Bob Doyal
    Bob Doyal wrote:
      Hello everyone,

I've lived in China a couple months now. I'm 23 years old, fit, clean cut, and I'm told I look like a standard clean cut American. I will spare the modesty and say that overall I think Chinese view me as very good looking. Not that I think I'm good looking, in America I'd say I'm average.

I recently went to a formal event. Something about a Wine House serving everyone Wine. A friend of mine brought me, and the amount of celebrity I received there was crazy. I don't mean that I was given no room to breath, but I feel like I can tell from subtle things. 1. People always refilling my glass. 2. They wait for me to sit before they sit. 3. The girls, regardless of beauty, make clear attempts to catch my attention. 4. Any direction I look has Chinese people looking back and, doing what seems to me to be, their best at creating the widest window available to speak with them. Basically  if I look in their direction, they immediately look back as if giving me their attention should I desire it. 5. The lowest who is a guy maybe a year or two older than me basically stood up when I came to the table, and GAVE me his chair. I made an honest effort to bring up another chair so he could sit too, but it would have taken help, and the dude wouldn't leave me alone about just sitting and not worrying about it. 

Not only this, but the star piano player, the staff, and the people sitting at other tables are quick to toast me.

Now, I realize this is normal in China. I'm not special, Chinese just really seem to enjoy the company of a white person. What I don't understand though, is why... and how on Earth should I act to all this? I'm glad that my company is enjoyed, and I am looking to build relationships, and improve on my network, but at the same time... what the fuck? I'm an average guy. I grew up on a ranch, I'm pretty smart, and I do admittedly have the look that Chinese seem to consider ideal, but I have completely no idea how to leverage my position because I have no idea what these people want from me, and why they seem to put me on the same level as a top CEO. 

I know I don't deserve the treatment I'm receiving, and that's not to say I don't enjoy feeling special for a little bit, but how on earth do you guys deal with this, and how on earth do you respond to it, and what is the best course of action to take advantage of these situations to better one's cause? Should I spend my time chatting up the richest dude in hopes they will give me an easy job? Should I be chatting up the oldest? Should I just talk with everyone, and sweet talk the girls?

I'm completely how of my league on this. Any experienced advice would be nice.

P.S. I know I likely sound like a horrible, self worshiping bastard, but I will say that I spend half my personal "Cheers" talking with the dude who gave me his chair not because I liked him, but because I know it must suck to be the guy on the bottom of the pecking order, and I knew it would make him happy to chat him up.

I will say though, that I feel a bit evil because I made a point to let the girl I thought was cute know it-- which basically made the rest of the girls less than happy. Good or bad move on that btw?

Thanks,

Hello!
  • Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

• Amber
    Amber wrote:
    u care about it too much, act whatever u feel
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
     。。。

(continued) ... heehee ... it's the spammer ... sorry, I am a bit slow ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... and only you know him so well ...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I was on my way to get soy sauce and I thought I'd stop by to say "positive racism" is Laolese for "benevolent prejudice." Everyone knows it is impossible to be racist against white people because they're the best.
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
      we The Man!
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
      "what are the most effective ways that you guys have found to take advantage of that? "

like nobody has ever treated u well.
  • MPA茉茉
    MPA茉茉 wrote:
     It is quit like i was there to see what was happend in same way,(heard much complian already)....not only American...but anywhere out of china...Mostly i heard ppl like china  for many reasons ,but never feel belongings ,everything is so different from other contries.not even as same as japan or korea or those other asian contries.....then you lost safety ,you lost trust,you hard to make real friends...some get into very careful and speak less than before...some get out for crazy fun with less care.....but seldom get truely high as what you expected.

Try to live in different eviroment is a challenge.Can you understand the contry or not is a kind of ability.You dont have to get down with the ppl around.....As you not gonna stay here forever ,just keep inner peace and watch...maybe u can enjoy sth you never expect you would see on the planet....Honestly ,even as  a chinese i found it is intresting to heard sth happend around me ,no mention forginers.So ,gud luck and PEACE!
  • WeLiveInBeijingRess
    妈的逼,气死人了,丑八怪老外中国奇遇记  
  • K5-35

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.