Discussion » Music » Hiring a raging Guitarist

• sphinx
    sphinx wrote:
    Looking for an electric guitar mentor who can show me how to go apewild/ improvise.
    Please contact me, I could pay for your lessons and knowledge. I'd kill to shred like a babe on a rag.

Inspirations: noise, doom, experiMETAL
    Current inspiration: The Sword/ Author & Punisher/ Big Black/ Bad Brains, etc.

Years of messing with tabs and powercords on my own don't quite work.
    Hope to hear back from you soon!
  • Simen Wangberg
    I learned to play pretty much just from tabs. I don't really "shred" in the way that most metal guitarists do, but the bands you cited don't really play that way either.

I just reckon it might be hard to find someone to teach the skills you're interested in, unless you really wanna dive into musical theory and use that to help you write/improvise. I think a lot of guitarists, probably even the ones from the bands you cited, learned guitar informally and just kind of played and played until they developed their own musical style.

I still have a hard time "jamming" with other guitarists cos I don't necessarily understand theory or whatever, but I can write some pretty okay tunes on my own. You track down tabs for the bands who play the way you wanna play, take note of the progressions/chord shapes they use and take it from there. Then again I have been playing for a little while now, so maybe I just take the writing process for granted.
  • Simen Wangberg
    It takes a pretty long time to develop one's own playing style - and actually, I believe that the best/most creative guitarists never stop trying to do so. There is always something new to learn, especially from genres and musical styles you're not particularly familiar with.

I still use a lot of the same progressions and chord shapes that I learned 10 years ago, but I also try to look at new stuff every so often to find things to borrow. Perhaps listening to some new or different music will shake up your writing and give you a new source of inspiration. I've been listening to a fair amount of death metal lately - the band I play guitar in is not even remotely close to death metal, but the chord progressions and rhythms they use have given me some new things to work with.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.