Discussion » Health & Fitness » emotional guidance system

• joe
    joe wrote:
    <p>I like this theory:</p> <p>"our feelings are our guide"</p> <p>Meaning: when we feel good about something (or someone), it means we're on the right path. When we feel bad, it means it's not the right thing for us. So all we gotta do, is listen to our emotions.</p> <p>Emotions/feelings are natural, and of prime importance. We are emotional beings.</p> <p>This should be taught in schools because its so important!</p> <p>Thoughts?</p>
  • Simen Stensvoll

i always doubt my feelings,thinking that im either too sensitive,or too optimistic. so i try to be rational and impersonal ,before making a decision. one of my friends used to tell me,one will be the victim of his emotions,if he doesn't know how to control them. i think,we should be taught :1 to accept emotions/feelings are natural,don't deny them;2 to deal with them in right ways,don't be guided to wrong places.

• Simen Stensvoll

indeed,ur feelings are a reflection of who you are.but there is difference between who u r,and who you want to be.if you deny who u r,u can't conquer urself, can't be improved,can't be a better man.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

when we feel good about something (or someone), it means we're on the right path. When we feel bad, it means it's not the right thing for us. So all we gotta do, is listen to our emotions.

Sure this is meant well, but it is so reductive as to be almost moronic, and teaching it in schools would be quite worrying.

It's possible to have a series of positive emotions to events that actually turn out to be very bad for us. Just as we often feel a series of negative ('bad') emotions that have very little benefit to us at all. People feel guilt, fear, and worry about things; this does not mean we should listen just because they are emotions.

It's a hard trick to pull, but a lot of our emotions are probably best left ignored, that is not to say denied. It's worth being aware of emotions, but we don't necessarily have to listen, follow or act upon them.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.