Discussion » Nonsense » how do u prove that you are not crazy in a psychia

• Eric Lee
    Eric Lee wrote:
    <p>just read something about it, and found it quite interesting....</p> <p>so let's say you are taken to a psychiatric hospital by mistake, how do u prove you are not crazy??? </p> <p>I think in such situation, the more you fight, the more you say you are not crazy, the worse it will get... what you think?</p>
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

Was it The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson?

• Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

Wicked Witch of the East,

have to say u r right... but that's kinda off the topic

Joepie,

haha, good one, we are all crazy in a different way

Pomeranian,

yea, that's it, quite interesting, I'm thinking what if the situation really happened to one of us... what could we do before we get desperate...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

I think if you closely observed the behaviour of all of us you might come to the conclusion we were slightly mad.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

When Kingsley Amis was a boy he was taken by a teacher to a psychiatric hospital and told that the inmates were in there for masturbation-induced madness!

• Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

When Kingsley Amis was a boy he was taken by a teacher to a psychiatric hospital and told that the inmates were in there for masturbation-induced madness!

what was the purpose???

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I think in such situation, the more you fight, the more you say you are not crazy, the worse it will get... what you think?

This reminds me of the Rosenhan experiments,

a famous experiment into the validity of psychiatric diagnosis, conducted by psychologist David Rosenhan in 1973. It was published in the journal Science under the title "On being sane in insane places." The study is considered an important and influential criticism of psychiatric diagnosis.

Rosenhan's study was done in two parts. The first part involved the use of healthy associates or "pseudopatients" (three women and five men) who briefly simulated auditory hallucinations in an attempt to gain admission to 12 different psychiatric hospitals in five different states in various locations in the United States. All were admitted and diagnosed with psychiatric disorders. After admission, the pseudopatients acted normally and told staff that they felt fine and had not experienced any more hallucinations. Hospital staff failed to detect a single pseudopatient, and instead believed that all of the pseudopatients exhibited symptoms of ongoing mental illness. Several were confined for months. All were forced to admit to having a mental illness and agree to take antipsychotic drugs as a condition of their release.

The second part involved an offended hospital challenging Rosenhan to send pseudopatients to its facility, whom its staff would then detect. Rosenhan agreed and in the following weeks out of 193 new patients the staff identified 41 as potential pseudopatients, with 19 of these receiving suspicion from at least 1 psychiatrist and 1 other staff member. In fact Rosenhan had sent no-one to the hospital.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.