Discussion » Beijing Life » How NOT to get your bike stolen?

• SoulCreative Web Studios
    SoulCreative Web Studios wrote:
    <p>Hey everyone,</p> <p>I'm going to be moving to China in 2 weeks. I'd like to buy myself a nice speed bike so I can get around, but I always hear that bikes get stolen. I've heard that people will make their new bikes look like trash in order to prevent that. I'm wondering if you guys can give me any advice on how to prevent my bike being stolen without making it look like a POS?</p> <p>My thought whs that I'd simply lock the frame of the bike to something. Wouldn't that stop bike thieves? Another idea was to hide some type of GPS tracker within the frame so I can knock on the thieve's door with the police, and ask for my bike back.</p> <p>Thanks,</p> <p>Daniel Lessor</p>
  • Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

After following these simple rules I have never had another bike / scooter / motorbike stolen:

1: Never leave your bike outside when it is dark.

2: Never leave your bike outside when it is dark.

3: During the day, always park your bike in a direct line of sight from where you will be or where others you trust will be and lock it TO SOMETHING which is fixed TO THE GROUND. (No, not to itself, another bike or something else; TO THE GROUND.)

4: Whenever possible and especially at night, lock your bike INDOORS or IN AN UNDERGROUND PARKING LOT WITH SECURITY GUARDS, CAMERAS AND SECURITY GATES.

5: Never leave your bike outside when it is dark.

Note: Leaving your bike locked TO THE GROUND but in a place that is not covered by guards or cameras is still inviting theft, especially at night. Basically, underground car parks are the way to go every time it's humanly possible.

• Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

how about buying a small foldable one and carry it everywhere....:)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

It appears you have a sense of humour, but cant you make your point without being so constantly and consistantly offensive?

We all come from different cultures

Not an excuse for theft

We are guests here.

Makes it even worse.

This country and its people are new to us.

Not an excuse for theft.

They, more often than not, have (radically) different ways than what we are used to.

But nowhere in the world is theft acceptable.

I say: do some reading, investigating, before locking an expensive bike to a pole.

Read my post above.

In other words: if you'd studied the place where you're at, and its people and their general mentality, then you could have avoided this from happening.

No one expects a pole to be cut in half to get a bike. It does not tell you in lonely planet that you cant chain a motorbike to a lamp post due to this reason.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.