Discussion » Nonsense » China's Future Medal Plans

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:
  • Holly㊛
    Holly㊛ wrote:

u r just envy envious hatred Chinese had More gold MEDALS...coz u r Americans fear China in the future Will replace your position in the world!!!

• Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Case in point, Alex.

lol. Considered. (Holly also needs to check the latest leaderboard results LOL)

How about I also throw this into the mix...consider the above statement (encouraging nationalism and xenophobia) then consider how politicians from all over the world try to utilize the games as leverage to make political points, or more importantly, try to use individual competitors as leverage.

Then consider the national medals ranking. (Why does this even exisit? Why does a country try to "take credit" for the medals won by competitors just because they were born in that country or hold citizenship of that country?)

Then consider that the "rules" of each even are not even properly enforced.

So in reality, what exactly is the purpose of the Olympic games in terms of humanity? What are the games contribution to mankind in this day and age? The original games was effectively a national competition, not international. A platform for boasting and assertions of superiority.

Why did the games take a hiatus of 1500 years only to be reinventend / brought back to life by a random swiss dude and changed in almost every aspect imaginable - but keeping the name "Olympics"?

The ancient Olympic Games were held in Olympia, Greece, from the 8th century BC to the 4th century AD. Baron Pierre de Coubertin founded the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1894. The IOC has since become the governing body of the Olympic Movement, with the Olympic Charter defining its structure and authority.

The current stated mission of the IOC is:

1 Encourage and support the promotion of ethics and good governance in sport as well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned.

2 Encourage and support the organization, development and coordination of sport and sports competitions

3 Ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games

4 Cooperate with the competent public or private organizations and authorities in the endeavor to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace

5 Take action in order to strengthen the unity, to protect the independence of the Olympic Movement, and to preserve the autonomy of sport;

6 Act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement

7 Encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women

8 Lead the fight against doping in sporting

9 Encourage and support measures protecting the health of athletes

10 Oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes

11 Encourage and support the efforts of sports organizations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes

12 Encourage and support the development of sport for all

13 Encourage and support a responsible concern for environmental issues, to promote sustainable development in sport and to require that the Olympic Games are held accordingly

14 Promote a positive legacy from the Olympic Games to the host cities and host countries

15 Encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education

16 Encourage and support the activities of the International Olympic Academy (IOA) and other institutions which dedicate themselves to Olympic education

Which still begs the question - what is the purpose of the games and what do they add to the global community?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... it is reported that one particular athlete this year does not have any nationality, so he represents no one but himself ... which, I believe, is what it should be like ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Wow, a contribution! ;) Amazingly, I agree with you. Moar info plz DD.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I read it on weibo last week, dont have anything on it ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

links or it didnt happen DD

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

you are in the Paralympic? I said

and I said - links or it didnt happen, DD. Don't troll a non troll thread please DD.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... yeah, I heard you the first time, but the more you said it, the more I wonder for what reason I should google or baidu something that you could have already done it in the last 30 min since I mentioned it ...

You are busy with your butter again?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I wonder for what reason I should google or baidu something that you could have already done

Oh right DD, ao now the onus is on ME to back up YOUR statements? Oh please... Backup now or your comments are getting IRed.

• Holly㊛
    Holly㊛ wrote:

yap~USA People head very poor!

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

My problem with the Olympics is not that people give a damn, its that many seem to give a damn about the wrong things. Like nationalism. "We won X many gold medals!" etc. in fact "We" didnt win shit. Individuals won medals then others rush in and try to take credit and glory for the achievements of others. ( Im not talking about coaches and those other folk who have a legitimate claim to some of the 'glory' by the way. )

But what I really want to know is, what GOOD does the olympics do for humanity as a whole? When the party is over and the trash has been swept up, what have we gained overall?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... like the O Officials, you have just made this thread fun :)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Holly is making this thread fun, we need more like her. Please, nationalists and individualist sports lovers from every nation, input please!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... cant remember the names, but I think that's the one ... thanks magdalena

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

This kind of events are especially impotant to CPP.

[...] So in the teaching materials you see this. You can see how the Communists tried to use history for its own purposes. The Kuomintang did this too. Both are in favor of aggrandizing the role of the state. Neither talked about individuals or rights. Everyone was instrumentalized for the state. Over the past century, most textbooks pushed nationalism. But of the two, the Communist Party has twisted history more. They push on the one hand patriotism and on the other how foreigners damaged and invaded China. The idea is to create a sense of anger and shame that only can be solved by the party. more

[...] Every time during the Olympic Games, when our compatriots win medals, words like “Sick Men of East Asia” would definitely be wildly used by the domestic media, especially in 2008, when headlines like “From Sick Men of East Asia to Olympic Sports Power” and “Beijing Olympic Games Forever Ends Discriminative Label ‘Sick Men of East Asia’” could be seen everywhere. This time at the London Olympic Games, the Chinese delegation is shining with exploits, and there are many similar news reports as well. More

The message is clear: Before CPP; Shame. Under the rule of CPP, Glory.

• Simen Wangberg

I think Beijing benefited from hosting the 2008 Summer Olympics, if only because it forced them to build a serious subway network. But maybe they would've done that anyway?

Trying to think of other benefits...ummnnn...eh. Well, nevermind. But how 'bout that big shiny Water Cube! :-/

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Who's China?

The one party. The CCP has only one unified voice, one dream...right?

England will see massive revenues.

Who's England?

England is organized, balanced, and leaves little space for corruption, it will benefit the nation.

More organized maybe, better balanced perhaps, little space for corruption? not sure... Benefit the nation? Again, who is England?

it does create a bond and awareness between peoples of the world, even though it is competition.

A bond of mutual competition and insecurity only alleviated by gold medals?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Come on guys... saying that the best reason for the Olympics is because it forces officials to clean up cities is like saying the point of having a party is that it forces you to clean your house beforehand.

Most cities which hold Olympic games already have a public transport system anyway so that one scores nil points with me too.

This is about what the games themselves bring to the table. You do not need games as a prerequisite to clean up a city or to install public transport.

Who's "us"? It doesn't make me feel strong.

Just quoting the article.

The idea is to create a sense of anger and shame that only can be solved by the party.

Damn good links there Doufu, but what exactly they have to do with the Olympics in general I am not quite sure.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

don't tell me English athletes don't desire GOLD METALS

The desire was not expressed by athletes but by representitive officials. This is about what the government want for themselves (rather than for the athletes). Anyway, that was just an inflammitory remark - the point of the thread was outlined below that .

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Yea...right. What "China" represents has always been that.

We arn't talking about ancient history this time, rather modern politics ;) Which is why I ask the question of how the games benefit humanity.

The whole "we want gold medals" theme is exactly why I think the whole thing is fucked up. Politicians (all over) are funding training efforts because they think it gives them 'face' (not just in China). Winning a medal is the purpose. The training isn't to be good, or even to be the best - it is to win medals to contribute to a sort of greater "competition" (the medals board) by which a nation's worth is measured... To me thats sick.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

as a sense of pride

Hi Josh,

How do you derive pride from the Olympics?
    Is it because you were born a citizen of the "winning" country?

Are you also proud to be an American (where at least you know you're free)?

Are you proud of being white skinned?

All these things you were born with (myself also) but I see them as random characteristics and don't derive any pride from them. But that that's just me, please share your views.

PS :

if it wasn't for us americans...China would be part of Japan! Stop being so ignorant.

is....a bit silly.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... am I too late? Now, what if ...

You know who (no, not team USA) said that they will win every single argument or discussion in this forum? Well, everyone will leave, and then the "Vikings" are left with the Brits to play with ... sad, really ...

Going back to the topic ...

It seems unlikely that China will win all the medals in the first place, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that they do, then Olympic is just Chinese National Games, but being played in different cities every four years, and soon many countries will lose interest and Olympic will no longer be necessary ...

Please, dont let there be a 八国联军 in sports, or economy, it wont do anyone any good ... somehow it reminded of a sci-fi movie, but the name escaped me ...

Greece was, is, and will remain corrupt, hence such events won't do much good. England is organized, balanced, and leaves little space for corruption, it will benefit the nation.

huh? ...

who the hell cares, this doesn't affect anyone here on this site just those in government position.

That's the Olympic spirit ...

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

At the risk of buying into a thread started by Alex:

Conflating xenophobia with nationalism is already likely to bias the response. They are not equivalent terms, and become even more inappropriate if you reduce them to their definitions of 'to love [your country]' and 'to hate/fear [other countries]'. I think you can have a healthy nationalistic impulse without having to hate other countries (for instance, remaining emotionally neutral to those countries that are not your own).

I think when you have something like the Olympics, it does promote nationalism which in turn does unite a country in a common purpose. A loose comparison would be the way in which the race to the Moon united the US and the Soviet Union, and promoted rapid technological advancement (though admittedly xenophobia did arise from that too) to an extent that perhaps it would not have seen without that sense of competition.

Gold medals represent that kind of advancement. It is a 'face' thing, it is incredibly political, but then that still doesn't necessarily invalidate the advancement that is achieved through that purpose.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... you are very brave :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... what's Japan gotta do with this? ahhhh ... this is going to get very ugly ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... as I said, it will get ugly ... but do you consider yourself to have an open mind?

has called Americans dogs and so forth

No, she has not ... I cannot find "dog" in this thread other than yours (and now mine), so, sorry, you have made that up ...

because she is ungrateful

I would tend to believe that she has her "reason", if you care to listen :)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

@Daniel

Conflating xenophobia with nationalism is already likely to bias the response. They are not equivalent terms

Hmm... I cant help but feel that nationalism is a very very small step away from xenophobia, while patriotism is not.

A loose comparison would be the way in which the race to the Moon united the US and the Soviet Union

I don't think this united them actually... If anything was just a miniaturized version of the nuclear arms race. (And led to further tensions regarding the militarization of space, the "star wars" program etc.)

@JoshT

K, good points and your honesty is appreciated.

AND if you are American you should know the MINORITY is white skinned people living in America.

Incorrect. The statistic you are quoting is related to births, however in 20 years or so you will be correct.

nuking Japan

Lets try to keep the wars out of this. Anyway, the USA arrived very late for the war and only after the Japanese blew the shit out of pearl harbor, which pissed you off and motivated ur selfish asses enough to get up and drop some bombs. It was the British the prevented the Nazis from marauding all over the face of the earth, but that's a different troll thread.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Josh, cant say I have been following all her comments, my bad ...

Since this thread is about Olympic, shall we not mention "war" unless it is abs necessary?

... and five min later ... Josh, I checked that thread, but I still cannot find her writing "dog", unless you were referring to other phrases?

... and six min later ... Josh, do you mind PM me with a test message?

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Hmm... I cant help but feel that nationalism is a very very small step away from xenophobia, while patriotism is not.

I'm (genuinely) curious about how you would differentiate nationalism from patriotism. They are often used synonymously, even in their respective dictionary entries.

I don't think this united them actually... If anything was just a miniaturized version of the nuclear arms race. (And led to further tensions regarding the militarization of space, the "star wars" program etc.)

It certainly was a 'miniaturized version of the nuclear arms race', however I still would say it united the nations, or at least the US, in the sense that it captured the country's imagination, leading to the coverage breaking the previous record for number of TV viewers tuning into a programme. I guess you could say something similar about the way in which so many people in so many countries are following the Olympic coverage, and whilst you might view this as a negative thing (a nation of people rallying around some arbitrary characteristics they share), I would probably view it as a positive thing.

I think perhaps this may be a disagreement with the way you framed the discussion question. I agree that this kind of thing does not benefit world unity, and is probably detrimental to it (a lot of coverage in various countries displays quite a lot of blatant xenophobia when it comes to explaining a controversial decision that went against them). However I don't think it's really meant to 'bring the world together'. I think it does promote national unity though, and in this sense I guess that is the point of the Olympics.

• Katie
    Katie wrote:

@Josh: I remember you were talking about it at work earlier. Thought you guys were discussing about Olympics crap here? lol

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

@JoshT that last paragraph was just a troll, of course it was the us the won the pacific, they nuked japan and japan surrendered, but no more war stuff here plz.

@Daniel

it captured the country's imagination Sure it did, but it was still a very real kind of competition, I still think it agitated things rather than promoting peace and harmony but hey.

I'm (genuinely) curious about how you would differentiate nationalism from patriotism. They are often used synonymously, even in their respective dictionary entries.

Well...I never use them synonymously...and I guess it depends on what dictionary you use. Rather than type it all out for you, differencebetween.net does a pretty good job here, and you can troll them rather than me thx.

@Tara

And what makes it even more fucked up is all those unfair judgements and suspicion/distrust of real capability and hard work, etc., which has made it completely meaningless for many.

I completely agree..but I also think that "drugs" should be available to "licensed athletes".

As long as there are undetectable "drugs" available to athletes, there WILL be cheating, and so there will always be suspicion and distrust.

The truth is though, real sportsmen have good sporting ethics (calling the ghost of sporting ethics..) and do not complain when they lose according the the referee / judges decision. Of course I think judges make mistakes and the public are welcome to comment, and inevitably heads will roll, but for coaches or athletes themselves to comment publicly is poor form and not sporting - and what really hurts the spirit of the sport.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

respectable level / real level

What is a respectable level? I competed in regional athletics (throwing events) and karate for several years. Dominated (obviously)...but ya know what? I was always a "good sport", but then again I was never pro nor even playing for money. Having said that, there were never any terribly unfair judgements made against me and I never had to go head to head with the ugly political sides to the sports I played, although sure they were there and obvious for me to see - which was ultimately one of the reasons why I dont play anything these days..except foosball and pool ;)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Well said Summer.

By the way, did anyone see that Jacques Rogge character trying to say Usain Bolt is not a legend? Whining about how Bolt has to win at a couple more Olympics before he can be called a legend?

As if he hasnt made Rogge and his cronies filthy rich enough already!

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Well done both! America & China..

and GB!!

• Holly㊛
    Holly㊛ wrote:

Who does not know that the United States Olympic athletes most are black,Especially running class athletes of all nations are black,If China has with the United States the same number of black athletes,Who will be the largest number of country with the gold medal?

• Holly㊛
    Holly㊛ wrote:

you are just an ignorant ethnocentric silly USA bitch!!!hahaha...you should just keep your mouth shut Bryan you sound like a racist countryside USA migrant Cheap pimp!!!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... which Bryan?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Holly, if the European union teamed up we would kick both the USA and little china into oblivion, so shut your baozi hole.

• Holly㊛
    Holly㊛ wrote:

u r USA bithches all the best freaks....exposed upper body and don't like wear clothes...As poor cheap sex -workers!!!Only beggar didn't wear clothes in China!!!I really want to throw some COINS in your face to you!From the bone marrow caryon strongly despise!!!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... if, huh? ...

And Holly, though I see where you are coming from, you dont really need to ...

• Holly㊛
    Holly㊛ wrote:

yup~~~so i sube be get the fire extinguisher fuckin your ears and nose!!! Alex ^∞ freak!

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

From the bone marrow caryon strongly despise!!!

lol wut?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Holly, there is a rumor that his ass might need medical attention, what do you know about his ears and nose?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

there is a rumor that his ass might need medical attention

lol so true...next time ask your wife to floss, the dirty hoe.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... are you really sure you want to play that card? The idiots once tried it, it got them nowhere ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

it got them nowhere ...

hows camping out in the wlib forum going for ya?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... you will have to ask them ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

"them" being the goblins that live in your mind?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... being that you had talked to them before, you should know ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

all i know is that right now Im most probably talking to some kind of goblin.

• Simen Wangberg

"From the bone marrow caryon strongly despise!!!"

WHOA.

Watch your language, please. There are children on this web.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahaha ... I was referring to those three who called themselves BedTyger, High Priest and GodFather, you have talked to them before, no?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

nope

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

GO YANKEES

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

We all show as it is the only time that the world truly congregates for a single purpose ; we've come to win. No blood shed and no war but booty .

alt text

Um I mean gold.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.