Discussion » Current Events » Olympic games~ ~in London

• Meggie
    Meggie wrote:
    <p>hello, everybody~ ~</p> <p>that day is coming~ ~ in July,28,at 3:30,Beijing time~</p> <p>which activites do u like best? i perfer gymnastics、swimming、basketball、ping-pang~ and so on. how about u?</p>
  • Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

I like the part when ppl get crazy or emotional... : )

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

the farm animals are not a good look

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Ayiela must be creaming herself.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

My heart leaped for a minute there! But then... the sting in the tail :(

By the way: make up... less is more.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Nice to see Moldova getting a cheeky bronze

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Team GB, including the Queen's granddaughter, just got a Silver in Equestrianism. yes!!!

Well done to swimmer Ye Shiwen for her Gold; she's too young for drugs

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... just saw this on Facebook, possibly done by HK or TW folks, hence the Trad Chinese characters :)

alt text

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Btw, how can one watch football from this Olympic?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Fuck the Olympics. It's a goddamned farce. The dude skydiving pretending to be the Queen? Totally trolling the Chinese for that lip-syncing fiasco in the 2008 opening ceremony.

BUT if you lose fair and square just be gracious and congratulate the country that won as opposed to smearing their success.

if you lose fair and square

Yeah... about that...

I'm pretty sure China will win the total and gold medal counts, because so many people, or whatever, but who the fuck really cares anymore? That's a strategic victory, not an athletic one.

Enjoy your Bird's Nest.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

I was wondering what the people here thought of the recent disqualification of the Chinese, South Koreans and Indonesians from the Badminton competition for intentionally trying to lose their final games so as to guarantee them an easier draw in the knock-out stages.

Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli were among eight players disqualified for trying to lose matches.

Her dreams had been "heartlessly shattered", she said in another post.

The players, she said via her accredited Tencent Weibo, were simply leveraging the new rules in the competition to ensure that they performed better.

''It's as simple as that; nothing complicated. But there is no forgiveness for that,'' she added.

''What you've cancelled is not just a game, but my dream!''

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

What Daniel is talking about has much to do with the underhanded national strategy of maximizing medals at the expense of individuals' honorable athletic performance. I don't think the players are to blame. Coaches and administrators are to blame.

The Chinese team wanted to throw the match so they wouldn't have to play the other Chinese team in the next round. If one Chinese team eliminated the other, it would spoil the motherland's chances at taking both the gold and silver medals.

China isn't the only country guilty of this, but this is one of China's national pastimes we're talking about. They were expected to win the gold anyway and instead caused a massive embarrassment by playing the medal maximization game instead of badminton.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Baleful Psycho,

Wrong...Olympic was to challenge our limits, our spirit, our willpower.

Our? You're not an Olympian, fuckbreath. I'll say it again: individual athletes are sacrificed to satisfy the nation's statistical narcissism, a point well-proven by your conceits in particular.

So spare us the platitudes about sportsmanship. Real athletes give it their all no matter whether they're facing off against their countrymen or foreigners.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

The competes arrangement of Badminton this time is defective

This was kind of my point in raising the issue, or rather this attitude. I may be wrong but I assume that 'intentionally playing to lose' is regarded as 'cheating' in most sports and what I was curious about was whether this shameless 'the rules forced us to cheat!' attitude would be prevalent on here too.

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

So many fun in this Olympic game...british humorous!!! Lots empty seats..hehe ! Gov force lots soldiers come back from afghanistan only for filling the audiences

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

The matter was referred to the BWF and the eight players were charged with breaching two parts of the players' code, "not using one's best efforts to win a match and conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

The definition of cheating used in my post:

5.to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.

You can of course question whether or not the Code of Conduct constitutes 'rules or regulations', but as the governing body of the sport has disqualified those players for not adhering to it, I think the Code of Conduct comes under that definition. In which case, yes, what they did is cheating. Which is why the governing body disqualified them.

....the rules 'tricked' the players? Come on, don't be that guy.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Intentionally losing is commonplace in Chinese professional athletics, largely because of all the gambling. @Bleagh seems to be taking a position not unlike blaming society for creating an environment that enables criminality, and I'm okay with this.

It's just that at an Olympic level, on one hand you'd think that they'd be better at throwing the match without getting caught. It was tremendously disrespectful to spectators who paid to watch the world's top-ranked.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... not here to "discuss", but to share the photos of some of the athletes ...

alt text

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Allison Stokke didn't make the Olympics... she's mostly famous for Internet drama. DD, are you just posting pictures of fuckable athletic chicks and labelling them as fuckable Olympians? NOT RELEVANT.

...poast moar.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I only watched the opening, and I am not a sports fan, I just saw this on weibo, someone said that they are, and I thought it was hot ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Show me a Chinese football fan who isn't dismayed by rampant match-fixing and bribery and I'll show you someone who might also be naive enough to believe whatever you're trying to say about track cycling on the flimsy basis of two grainy photos.

That particular British team was DQ'd in the first round for breaking the rules. At least they had enough face to admit error.

On a frantic first day of competition at the Velodrome, known as the Pringle for its shape that resembles the potato chip snack , British riders Jess Varnish and Victoria Pendleton were also relegated for a takeover infringement in the first round.

They were disqualified for making an early change, a decision met with boos from the crowd of 6,000 fans.

The decision dashed the medal hopes of the home favourites — who had just broken the world record during qualifying, only for the Chinese to twice lower the mark.

Pendleton and Varnish had posted the second best time of the first round and would have faced the Chinese for the gold medal if it had not been for their rule infringement.

"It was an illegal change," Pendleton said. "I came through in the change zone about a meter too early. We are talking about one hundredth of a second of a mistake there."

It was not the first time British riders were disqualified at a major tournament. Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny and Philip Hindes, who won the men's competition on Thursday, were relegated at the worlds earlier this year for the same reason.

"Jess moved up a fraction too early and I just saw the door and went for it, because that's my cue to try to squeeze underneath her as quickly as possible," Pendleton added. "It's one of those things that happens. It's quicker than a blink of an eye. You have to stick by the rules. The rules are there to make it a fair sport. Unfortunately we fell on the wrong side of that today."

• Holly㊛
    Holly㊛ wrote:

If the Olympic games the United States take most gold MEDALS this year,I went to London streaking in the future!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

football

You are mixing a totally money-oriented game with a sports spirit-oriented game here.

Which is which? I'm confused. Are you really trying to argue that football is not a sport, but a mere pretense for gambling? It seems the problem of corruption in Chinese football is so bad that you don't even consider it a sport anymore.

OH NOES! Teh Europes is weeping that the beloved team sport the rest of the world knows as football is, in China, "a totally money-oriented game" despite none of its players actually being competitive enough to deserve the stultifying amount of dirty money permeating the sport. Wow. Now I can hardly feel ashamed of American soccer culture; the upsight of no one watching it is that no one gambles on it and nobody bothers to bribe the referees, because who cares, amirite? And even in countries where it is popular, it's an obnoxiously stupid sport to gamble upon because scoring is too low to keep it interesting for odds-makers.

Those pics are copied from videos. Find it by yourself.

I already posted an article link proving that you're a fucking liar. To wit: You were talking about separate track cycling events. The British team you were referring to was also disqualified (in the first round) because of an illegal lane change; it was a different British team in a different track cycling event that won gold, without breaking the rules. It was a German team that won gold in the match in which the Chinese team was disqualified and relegated to silver, you fucking imbecile.

They admitted their cheating, not "error"...

The British team was disqualified. They acknowledged why they were disqualified. And they said it was an accident. They didn't cry about it and accuse the IOC of unfairness, because disqualifications for illegal lane changes are fairly commonplace.

you apparently skipped their words:" t "if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart."

Indeed I did, because those words do not appear in the article.

posts a dead link

404 error

Haha. You fail. Kill yourself.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... I read this from the mobile newspaper last night, I think ...

When the Brits invented table tennis, they probably would have never guessed how China's team is today, and then Chinese invented soccer, well ...

Something like that :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... huh?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... just saw this on weibo ... so the O officials are not just against one team or even one continent, they are just idiots in men's (or women's) clothes ...

【千百度奥运又乌龙】女子七项全能又出裁判问题:德国一名女选手获得银牌,结果在终点被告知取消成绩,原因是她跑错跑道了。德国电视台全体动员,把全程的录像来回放了几遍,找不到任何证据。15分钟以后,裁判终于发现犯规的是隔壁跑道的那一位。

[Roughly translated] ... this is news about the Women's Heptathlon where the German athlete was disqualified for her silver because she was caught running in the wrong lane, but 15 min later, the officials corrected it that it was the person in the next lane ... I cannot Bing it at the moment though :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... more from weibo ...

千百度囧图】大英帝国就是不一样啊= = 这位叫Robbie Grabarz的 男青年是24岁英国队跳高选手,在拿到奥运铜牌后,开心的跟奖牌一起果照 第一时间发推....."Me and my medal!" via@月球特派地球观察家 腐国银民V5霸气啊!!!

[Roughly translated] After Robbie Grabarz of the UK team got his bronze medal, he went and took this photo with the title "Me and my medal" ... and supposedly put it onto Twitter here:

http://twitter.com/RobbieGrabarz/status/233506372518559746/photo/1

alt text

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... the Olympic mascot thread has been removed? That's too bad ...

alt text

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... Korean ... 18 or 17 ... so, yeah, "future", heehee ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahha ... once again, I am amazed you are still in China :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued)。。。 just got this from weibo ... is gold really that important in China? or does it have some other unknown significance?

alt text

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

No.1 is something that nothing can compare. Everyone knows the world's highest peak but rarely remembers the second highest.

heehee ... you are saying?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

I don't think it's about "China". It's about "expectation".

Yes ... some (or many) people do tend to continue expecting certain things would happen, even though knowing deep down that it wont ... sad really ...

In terms of competition..No.1 is something that nothing can compare.

Hahahaha ... I was going to say "never been", and then I realized that I had been ... however, it is more fun to live among the crowd ... and WLIB has a lovely crowd ...

I don't believe in "winning" but i do belive in "dreams".

Ahhhh ... that's what I have heard too ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... you have got the "shhhh" thing from him? Have you seen a doctor?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.