Discussion » Travel » Chinese Laws?

• SoulCreative Web Studios
    SoulCreative Web Studios wrote:
    <p>I've been searching the net for Common Chinese foreigners should know, but all I come up with is sourcing laws, and litigation and stuff. </p> <p>Can anyone provide a link on a good artical that points out common laws, and the punishments.</p> <p>For example: Fighting. If you get in a street brawl, are you going to get a big fine? Go to Jail? I don't really know any other laws that I think I might break, but if anyone can point some out that an American might be unaware of, please list.</p> <p>Thanks</p>
  • Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Laws are enforced and administered by local authorities. Think in terms of common law, but the best rule to remember is that there are no rules. The most important law you should be aware of is "Might is right". You are subject to pretty much anything that any person with power in this country chooses to subject you to. There is no solid legal system to which all are helf accountable, in the style of American or European law. Government makes the rules, but are largely unaccountable to them, or any injustices they cause. The only exception to this rule is when an issue gets 'hot' or 'famous', attracting the attention of higher powers which usually stay out of minor affairs, but will throw their weight around if there is any percieved loss of face. Accept this and you'll be fine - it's the wild west.

• Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

There's no law in china,when you come to china,the first word you should learn is"guan xi"关系。

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Contract law makes sense - it's almost identical to US contract law as far as I can tell. There is only one criminal law--do not do anything that is bad for China. The penalty is at the discretion of China, as is the interpretation for what actions break the law. As long as you're always in the right, don't get into conflicts with anyone better connected than you, and don't do anything that the government wouldn't like, you'll be fine.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... for once, I agree with the spammer, laws exist physically in China, but in terms of execution, there is NO law in China ..

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... sorry, no ...

• Sonja Lund
  • Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

A green hat? Good idea.

• Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

The letters on the cap will help too.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Do Chinese men not participate in school yard scuffles?

I have seen more streetfights and physical altercations in China than anywhere else in the world. Most have been Chinese on Chinese.

Sounds odd that Chinese fights are so rare

They are not, at all.

the second a foreigner and Chinese get in a fight, it sounds like the foreigner would get stampeded

Basically, what LL said: the unwashed masses looking on wont care who is responsible, who started it or who is in the right. You are a foreigner, so obviously you need to be taught a lesson, how dare you "act like you own the place" by defending yourself lol... Besides, you have hundreds of years of cultural xenophobia, opium wars and 'white men stealing our women' mindsets to deal with. 99.99999% of the time it will all be blamed on you, and you will be guilty until you prove yourself innocent. The standard police mindset is "lao wai dont understand china and often cause trouble", of this I am certain.

I've never really had many experiences with outward hatred for my as a foreigner

If you dont learn Chinese, dont date Chinese girls and only hang around foreigners in foreign parts of town, you wont notice it.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

The fact of the matter is that I really am not that interested in those Chinese people who wish to practice their English with me, or hang out with me because I'm white.

This is good for learning Chinese.

To be honest, even when it comes to girls, I'll probably be more interested in those grey-eyed Russians, or those cute French girls with their accents.

This is bad for learning Chinese.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.