Discussion » Food & Drink » How do I boil rice?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    <p>Please don't tell me to get a rice cooker; I don't have one and I don't intend to get one. People have been cooking rice perfectly well for millenia without them, so it should all be fine.</p> <p>I cooked rice without problems before I came to China and it was always great. Since I have been here it either comes out too wet and mushy or the pan dries out. I don't know how I manage to keep fucking it up. </p> <p>Now, can someone give me some idiot proof instructions please?</p>
  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

The best way is to get a certain quantity of rice u want to cook, after washing it, double the quantity of water from the quantity of rice in a bowl, make sure u have a good saucepan that doesn't burn rice easily when it's hot. Set a fire, not too much, when it's boiling, reduce fire so that it doesn't burn down. Then u got a great cooked rice.30min will be ok

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Carlos, what equipment do you have? If none ... to buy a good "boiler" or pot, can indeed be more expensive than a standard rice cooker ...

Also, do you prefer looking (or listening) to the cooking or leave it and then come back in 30 min?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I have eaten the rice now; it was a bit better than usual bus still a tiny bit on the wet porridgey side.

1 cup of water to 4 cups of water seemed like too much water. So I went for 1:3 instead. I washed/cleaned the rise more thoroughly than usual.

I put the rice in with cold water which I brought to the boil, then brought the heat down really low.

I have decided the reason I keep screwing it up as I'm using this shitty pan, which feels like it is made of aluminium. I will try a better pan and keep experimenting.

Thanks for all your varied suggestions.

Fuck rice cookers! (the machines not people)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Not all rice is made equal. Different rice requires slightly different means of cooking to perfection. American long grain is pretty different to Thai rice which is different to Indian rice which is different to Chinese rice which differs from Japanese rice etc.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I just think the quality is different to the rice in China.

They are different for sure...but im not sure what you mean by "quality". I don't much care for long grain rice. I find it bland and characterless and far prefer the stickier short n chubby grains of east asia. Purely a personal preference.

• Simen Stensvoll

wow,Alex you know how to cook rice! now i understand why dando so fond of u!

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

now i understand why dando so fond of u!

ok... this is getting weird...

• Simen Stensvoll

OH THANKS I DO MISS A PIGGY

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Hp is right It will turn out very well with those instructions at 25-30 min.

• Simen Stensvoll

thank you again,i adore pigs

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.