Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Share Your Tips and Advice on Learning Chinese

• The Chinese Language Institute
    The Chinese Language Institute wrote:
    <p>Happy summer from the CLI team! At <a href="http://studycli.org" title="CLI">CLI</a>, we believe learning a country’s language is essential not only for communication, but for understanding culture. However, we are also aware that learning a new language may seem overwhelming for some at the beginning. We believe the Chinese language gets a bum rap for being too overwhelming. </p> <p>CLI would like to know: </p> <p><strong>How are you learning Chinese?</strong> </p> <p><strong>What tips or advice would you give others learning Chinese?</strong> </p> <p>Thanks for your insight! :)</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... this is a really difficult one ... because it all started 40 odd years ago :)

I guess, like all babies, we all started with an "alien language" such as "gu gu ga ga", then moved onto listening to the family who said "ooooh, look at you" or "here comes the choo choo" (the Chinese equivalents)...

Then, we started with numbers as in one, two, three, and moved onto more difficult ones such as our Chinese names, along the way, learning more characters and even penmenship using the big black brushes ...

Ahhh ... such a painfully long story ...

The tips would be: to be soaked in it ... hell, I learnt Mandarin when I was in primary, only because my parents liked listening to the Taiwanese songs back in the 70's ...

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Practise 基本功 everyday: ¨z¨,¨c¨,¨s¨, ¨zh¨,¨ch¨, ¨sh¨ and other shitty basic sounds, tones and the fucking strokes :/

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... you are kidding, right? Yes, you are ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... now you are 100% scaring me ...

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

10) Fire any teacher who laughs at you, or who blurts out the next three characters while your still trying to figure out the first one. Fire anyone who doesn't give you time to think it through for yoursef, who robs you of the gift of getting it right on the third try.

Quoted for truth.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Relax and take notes....

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.