Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Some Old guy tried to pick a fight with me.

• SoulCreative Web Studios
    SoulCreative Web Studios wrote:
    <p>Hey everyone,</p> <p>So This happened about a year and a half ago, and I just now thought to ask about it on the website.</p> <p>So, I was taking a train from Langfang to Beijing. Langfang is I think about 60 km outside Beijing. Anyway, I'm at the Langfang train station, and I had some question about the train. I don't remember the question, but a lady who appeared to be working at the station answered it for me. I attempted to give her some money for a tip, and some old dude maybe 40-50 years old just came up and shoved me hard. I shoved him back, and that was basicly it. The fight basicly broke up there. </p> <p>Obviously being in a country I knew nothing of the laws about, or language for that matter, I didn't really feel like going to jail, and honestly I have no idea why this dude was pissed at me. I don't believe the woman was his life, and I don't think I appeared to be trying to soliciate prostitution or anything. The guy wasn't in good shape either, and I was surprised to see someone that age even try to pick a fight.</p> <p>Anyway, what do you guys think? Did I do something, or is it just a weird coincidence? Maybe a hatred of Americans?</p>
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

No idea without being there. But there is no concept of tipping in Asia, so whatever you did was really weird. There's plenty of hatred on account of us mostly being a bunch of asshole laowais, but it usually amounts to no more than rude commends being said under one's breath, not loud enough for you to hear. Maybe he really thought you were trying to buy his wife. More likely you were at a train station or other crowded public area and that's why you were shoved.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... repaying a favor with money as a token of gratitude is not often understood very well in China ... when we first came to BJ, we tried to give the security guards red packet during CNY, and they seemed scared and did not accpet ...

but a lady who appeared to be working at the station answered it for me. I attempted to give her some money for a tip

Obviously being in a country I knew nothing of the laws about, or language for that matter

Legally speaking, "bribe" is still illegal, so maybe the guy had actually attempted to warn you, but you did not hear him (well, it is a train station, so it may be crowded), so he tried using force?

I shoved him back, and that was basicly it. The fight basicly broke up there.

I am not convinced that this guy wanted to drag it on ... but as Minger said, without being there, it is difficult to say ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... by the way ...

So This happened about a year and a half ago

Why do you still think about this 18 months later? More so, why have you still not figured it out yet?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.