Discussion » Nonsense » Johnny Zhang and Persephone Liu

  • joe
    joe wrote:
    <p>With all due respect, and I am writing this with a smile, but..</p> <p>why on earth do some Chinese people adopt an "English" name, instead of using their own original name?</p> <p>I know the arguments:</p> <p>1) foreigners either can't remember or pronounce Chinese names easily (I disagree); 2) it's "hip" to adopt an English name (OK, I can get into that; changing hairstyles also gives you a sense of newness about yourself, which empowers); 3) due to China's relative cultural vacuum, there's a lack of true identity, hence it's logical to go out and acquire an English name.</p> <p>I'm just astounded when I meet someone who introduces him/herself to me as "Johnny" or "Persephone" or some other Victorian-age sounding name.. to me, an Asian face does not match the sound of a western-sounding name. "Oh, hi! I'm Bernadette!". No, you're not! :-D You don't look like a Bernadette to me!</p> <p>Am I suffering first-generation-change-your-name-shock? :-)</p>
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    And what about when an asian-face speaks English!

    Um, heLLO! English is for white people! They should be all like "Ching-chong bing-bong! ting-tong."

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    LZ should tell this black-face he doesn't look like a "Wesley".

    alt text

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    LZ, are you not from a country where there are Asian people with English names? I do find it fairly silly when people use English names if they don't speak English. However, most companies require English names of their employees if they have foreign contact, presumably mostly for the first reason above. My name is Minger (北京话:明儿rrrrrrrrrr)because people can neither pronounce nor remember my foreign name. I met a "Smile" once. She made me smile. Easier to remember than whoever the girl sitting next to her was, but that might have been because the girl sitting next to her wasn't trying to bang me.

  • Schokoschoko
    Schokoschoko wrote:

    I've heard Aragorn Zhang:-)

  • Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

    i have met an:

    apple

    banana

    potato

    morbid

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... and shall we start counting those foreigners who have a great sense of humor and dont mind being given some really strange Chinese names in their local IDs??

    To a large extent, some Chinese, or Asian in general, dont realize how odd or strange is it to have such name ... we have a girl in the office who named herself "Rock", I cannot remember the reason though ...

    For most Chinese, however, changing their English names would be just as easy as changing their iPhone shell (or casing) ... and at the end, it is just a name ..

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... I forgot to say ... where is Miss Tsang?

  • K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

    In accordance with the Constitution of the People's Republic of China, every citizen is entitled to the right of name, ergo, I can name myself Android No.18, Catherine the Great, Uranium 235 or whatever the hell I want and that is none of your business. Of course, you may reserve the right to post silly questions like "Why some foreigners use rare Chinese names like Cao Cao, Zuanzi or Da Shan".

    With due respects, Persephone is Greek, not English, and it means something which English names can't. And maybe difficult for you to see, it isn't necessarily true that all valuable culture or ideas are "ENGLISH". Surprise you maybe, I also have a Japanese name Mitsuko - “あたしただ夺う侧にまわるうと思つただけよ”, which is beyond the comprehension of people like you.

    Using a foreign name is usually a sign of appreciation towards a diverse culture. Of course, close-minded like you have every right and freedom to stick to your "cool" names, Joepius, for example. I could have said it sounds ridiculous but I chose not to. I'd rather see you using it all your life and give everyone else a laugh from time to time. :)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... heehee ... not bad, not bad at all ...

    "Oh, hi! I'm Bernadette!". No, you're not! :-D You don't look like a Bernadette to me!

    Yes you do now, because someone put an egg on your face ...

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    "In accordance with the Constitution of the People's Republic of China, every citizen is entitled to the right of name"

    Yeah.... I'm pretty sure Chinese people can only choose names that are already on the PSB computer.

  • K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

    @ Pomeh, you may think that Internet Surveillance is only the power abuse of China's authority, which makes you feel better in general that you live in the wealthy and democratic heaven. But the fact is, you are being watched 24/7 as well, just that you are not aware of it because your Gov. is much smarter after WW2.

    If it was official name that you were talking about, a simple application form to change the name is sufficient for our PSB computer. Of course, Chinese people can also use typical English names on their HK SAR or Macau passports.

    Last remark, it may be hard for many people to realize, you may sit there criticizing and judging others all day long but that doesn't make you right or superior.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... huh? The British gov has gone smarter after WW2? That's news to me ... got any details? or proofs?

  • K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

    Uk Gov. promulgated the most comprehensive Data Protection Act which was lated adopted by the EU legislation. They realize that the abuse of surveillance and privacy is fatal to social governance a lot earlier than many other countries.

    Throughout the whole history of the UK, during which most of their folks were busy shagging everything that moved and burning everything down, they become aware that maintaining a wealthy and happy island is more sensible than guzzling up half of the earth and assume the responsibilities for all walks of life.

    1. The British assumed their honor to fight against the Nazi Germany by all means to the last minute during WW2, with the best military strategy and execution of intelligence services.
    2. To this date, London Stock Exchange's key indicators, fluctuated with market rules, are the benchmark for the rest of the financial world;
    3. UK takes up 40% of the arms trade worldwide.
    4. UK is the leading country in stem cell study and maintains the biggest gene bank.
    5. UK is so far the only country which provides genuine public-funded medical services - the NHS
    6. UK's intelligence services is at the moment the training center for CIA, also, Scotland Yard for criminal investigation professionals, including police from China.
    7. UK has the best physicist of our time and the father of AI

    Of course, I could probably write more but it is time for my scheduled prison meal. You guys discuss.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... oh oh oh ... but does it mean that we will have to derail and go off topic? Not a good idea ... right?

  • Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

    alt text

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Hatsune Miku getting pounded by a big black cock

    alt text

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    What are people doing on a website like this besides posting during working hours?

    I did precisely 1 hour of work in a 7.5 hour workday today. #neverworkingforachinesecompanyagain

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ...

    What are you doing on a website like this, posting during working hours?

    I came here with the full intention to sell insurance, in fact, I once talked to Ms P Tsang about her plan ... but most people are either too poor or too well prepared, so I had to dump that idea ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... huh? Just when I thought that this site is a buffet for all ...

    So who have been pimping and/or marketing? Not the Brits, I am sure ... they are far too advance in tapping into our phones and computers ...

    It cant be the Africans either ... since they always claim to be on the good side of the law ...

    So ... who?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... last checked, the massage threads are no longer in the BJ forum, but over at Shanghai ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc