Discussion » Nonsense » Would you be willing to commit perjury in court fo

• Wicked Witch
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

I'm not going to say anything that would stop me from passing the bar exam. In many cases the penalty for perjury could be more severe than for the criminal offense.

• Simen Wangberg

It's only perjury if you get caught.

You guys sound like shitty friends.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

What wazi said.

• Simen Wangberg

Someone told me Chinese people are super-attached to their families cos they don't have the crazy religious fervor that a lot of people have in Western countries. I'm not attached to a religion or even really my family, but my friends are pretty super-important to me.

Which is not to say that I don't make fun of them or occasionally even inconvenience them or offend them incredibly. But I'm fucking human, whatever those are, and my friends and I are still tight, no matter what awful things we may have said and done before. That's what friends are. Viva la pengyoumen.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

qwertyt, I guess things are different in the states. Felonies, including perjury, can be punishable by anything except death. Might be hard to prove perjury though. Also, why the fuck are people suggesting that you can't help someone by lying? If your friend committed a crime, your witnessing it was the only evidence, and you lie and say you didn't witness it, then you've helped your friend out of a conviction. Sounds like help to me. Unless someone thinks being convicted of a crime is a good thing?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

@Minger, i think you should read this first!!!

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-penalty-for-perjury.htm

qwertyt, It might interest you to know that that doesn't actually contradict what I told you. But, one thing I learned while attending law school was that every US jurisdiction has its own laws, and that a one page internet article is not sufficient authority to explain what all of them are.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Up there is a contradiction!

Where is the contradiction?

Do you really think that a perjury sentence for covering a murderer or an outlaw will be more tough than crime sentence itself?

Yes, the sentence for perjury is potentially greater than that of the crime for which perjury was committed to cover up.

If Federal law and State law are in conflict, Federal law is supreme.

That's true. But not at all relevant, I think. Except perhaps to the extent that federal law would prohibit the death sentence for perjury if a state tried to impose it.

i am not really clear with american laws, since it doesn't concern me. Just using my knowledge and public resources.

There's a reason that schools charge over 1,000,000 RMB for a US legal education, and why lawyers pay 5,000 RMB every time we have to run a search in the commercial legal databases to research these things. It is because you can not do it with your knowledge and public resources.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Not only people with an american education can become lawyers, so it was off-topic.

Did you forgot I'm talking about law in the States? I didn't go to law school in other countries, so I can't speak for them. With slight exception, only people with a US education can become US lawyers. (Canadians, lawyers from sufficiently similar legal systems, California & New York bars). I can't really understand what you're trying to say about federalism.

Jeff, Lexis and West do have subscription services, but they also have per search and per document services, which can be very expensive in some databases

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.