Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Unemployed Workers Should Learn Chinese

• The Chinese Language Institute
    The Chinese Language Institute wrote:

Unemployed? Know someone who is? Well, it’s your lucky day. Forbes has found the antidote to unemployment: studying Chinese. In a recent article, Forbes highlights that airline workers who speak Mandarin have a major advantage over those who don’t. With airlines in America getting leaner, and Chinese airlines bulking up, there’s never been a better time to hit the books and study Chinese in China. Unless of course you'd rather collect that unemployment check ...

InvestorPlace Media published a piece right around the same time saying Aussies should all be sharpening their Mandarin skills as well. (Maybe Uncle DD can tell us how many Aussies are actually doing this?)

We're probably preaching to the choir here; it’s no secret that being able to speak Mandarin is a growing advantage in everything from retail to real estate. That's why you're all here, right? Any dissenters? Any trolls?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Im still convinced that mandarin is an augmentory tool and that without other skills it is pretty useless. There are well over a billion chinese that speak mandarin pretty well. In of itself it may help graduates or professionals that have other qualifications to get jobs, however a mandarin speaker with a gender studies degree is going to be just as unemployable as any other unprepared prospective.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahaha ... I am sorry, but I cannot ... however, I agree that Chinese language proficiency (Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghai) does have an advantage in Sydney ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

someone suggested that Chinese classes should be subject-based in specific skill areas (e.g. import/export

my point is that even with flawless chinese, one is of not much good unless one has ANOTHER SKILL TO OFFER. Knowing how to say 进出口许可证 is not "another skill".

You can't be a one-trick-pony

a language is not a trick, it is not a skill, it is a means of communication, a tool. how you use your means of communication is a skill, however the means itself is not. please do not confuse the two.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

a language is not a trick, it is not a skill, it is a means of communication, a tool

+/- ... I agree with you, but my guess is that most Chinese population wont ... I still find it amusing when someone said that English is a hobby or interest ...

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

How about learning Ayapaneco? There is only 2 persons alive speaking this language. There is a lot benefit to learn a minor language: it's cool; it can be used as a secret code; a dying out culture can be saved; a curse can be charmed unoticed if you hate someone...Let's learn Ayapaneco!

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Thanks @Tara. And my post wasn't a response to you @Qwertryt. Actually I agree most of what the others said here. except the utilitarian point of views. Learning languages can be fun for people who enjoy the process.[br]

PS: The serious me wont "convince others to do" anything.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... and they said it is also important to hold chopsticks properly ...

Also, why is everyone using @, when knowing full well that the damn thing does not work?

That's probably habit ... and to a large extent, being able to communicate using local lingo, or rather, a familiar lingo, is also a "habit", to make one fit in as well as stand out ...

It is quite common for anyone to get "closer" to another who can speak a familiar lingo, which gave rise to the people at Silk Street and Ya Xiu having fairly strong English skill, as well as Spanish, French etc etc ... (side note: no one speaks Cantonese there, which gave me an advantage when telling my wife how to bargain, heehee) ...

Qwerty ... in that case, it is just your environment ... because back home, if I remember correctly, standard high school curriculum now requires a second language, besides English ... also, it is common practice for real estate offices to employ Asians, be it Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin), Korean or Indian ...

One thing we need to understand and agree here is ... if you have a "skill" that does not make you stand out, then it is NOT an "asset" ...

Decades ago, a few of my friends did Japanese majors, with plans to go to work in Japan, or working in the local Oz tourism business ... but either case, Japanese language is just part of skill set, but never everything ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

@The Chinese Language Institute

TCLI, you sound like 'Legion' constantly referring to yourself as "we" when you are in fact one individual sat with your ass on a chair in front of a computer.

Please say "I" from now on, I just cant take you seriously otherwise. Especially when you are spamming a social networking forum with the purpose of garnering free marketing/advertising. You should be fucking paying me for bumping up your fuck-boring thread and giving voice to your gibberish.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahahaha ...

Please say "I" from now on, I just cant take you seriously otherwise.

+/- ... I am sorry that I did not understand why girls thought that you are cute before, I do now ...

CLI ... though I agree with you, you did exaggerate quite a fair chunk ... but then, this is the "marketing you" talking, right?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

@Uncle Creepy

I am sorry that I did not understand why girls thought that you are cute before

I am really not sorry and wish it were still so. Then again, I wouldnt expect an aging pervert like yourself to understand much about contemporary youth, what hot, what not etc.

In fact, from your demeanor it is quite clear that you never knew why girls thought some things were cute and others were repulsive.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... so true, so true ... I also have trouble understanding why they said I am cute ... guess you and I must be equal in some ways? Ah ... it must be the Commonwealth link :)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Though there's never more than one person sitting at the computer at one time, we do have a team, and they all do have access to this account. Since there isn't a single person using this account, we use the plural, "we", referring collectively the team members logging in as CLI on WLIB.

Absolute bullshit. You are an individual and the only one of those "with access to this account" posting on the forum. Of this I am convinced.

Also, do you really consider this spam?

Yes

We see it as interesting and insightful discussion

That is because you (singular) are unaware of what an interesting and insightful discussion is.

Maybe you should be paying us for the intellectual stimulation we're bringing you. Alternatively, you could simply choose not to participate

Definitely not. You should be paying me for correcting your logical fallacies, mistakes, exaggerations and other general BS which just makes you look like wannabe con-artists rather than a legitimate language school. If you want a good reputation it can not be built on hollow claims and senseless claptrap, such as asserting that teaching certain "areas" of Chinese language will somehow make up for lack of skill or experience in areas outside of mandarin:

classes should be subject-based in specific skill areas (e.g. import/export). This would maybe help to provide a partial solution to the problem.

Saying things like that really shows your hand as a charleton, or at best, a misguided, uninformed salesman.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I also have trouble understanding why they said I am cute

Then let me help you, its called pity.

guess you and I must be equal in some ways?

yeah....i guess.....I suppose even you have an arsehole too.

... it must be the Commonwealth link

probably just the arsehole.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

If you want a good reputation it can not be built on hollow claims and senseless claptrap, such as asserting that teaching certain "areas" of Chinese language will somehow make up for lack of skill or experience in areas outside of mandarin

Hahahahaha ... CLI ... I am going to jump ship in this case, because you should listen to the expert, who knows well about "hollow claims" ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... but you have to agree that it is tempting ... let me let me please?

yeah....i guess.....I suppose even you have an arsehole too

Hahahahaha ... moving to the arsehole joke already?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Great, CLI has made the point that if you want to sell handbags and jewelry to chinese shopping tourists, it might help to speak mandarin.

WOW, HOW INSIGHTFUL.

moving to the arsehole joke already

it is the only thing we have in common.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ...

it is the only thing we have in common.

Tara, hope you are reading this, heehee ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... CLI ... time for a Borg joke?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

It is the Chuckle Brothers. A pair of incompetent nincompoops that do slapstick comedy sketches. Their tagline is "to me, to you".

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.