Discussion » Travel » British citizens, where art thou????

• Cipherie
    Cipherie wrote:

Alright, folks, please help me out with this.

Please recommend something related to the British activities or places people from UK often go to or hang out in Beijing, such as rugby clubs, pubs in British style, British culture activities, etc.

Also, I need some information of the tourist hightlights in London, especially some high end, decent and famous restaurants in London, or small towns around London from where certain Olympic games are orignated, etc.

Really appreciate your help!

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I need some information of the tourist hightlights in London, especially some high end, decent and famous restaurants in London

That is what the internet is for....buttfuckit - ill give you some tips:

For Food or High Tea I recommend:

1) Fortnum & Mason (next to the Ritz at Green Park)

2) Browns Hotel on Albemarle St,

3) Claridges

4) The Dorchester

5) The Royal Horseguards Hotel

6) The Savoy

7) The Stafford

8) The Goring

9) The Milestone

There are others.....................but those spring from memory as good.

or small towns around London from where certain Olympic games are orignated, etc.

dunno what you mean by etc and cant think of any English Olympic games off the top of my head...but tourists like:

1) Greenwich

2) Stratford On Avon

3) Windsor

4) Sailsbury

like the English language we also inherited their trashy nature and smug attitudes.

though sadly, none of their class, culture, taste, refinement, nuance, magnanimity, grace, nobility, virtue or humility ;)

In my life as a dual citizen, my tender heart torn twixt transatlantic turbulence, I have noticed that though Britain has its fair share of scum, nothing vexes the American male more than the presence of a refined English gentleman. They simply do not know how to handle a situation where their usual brash approach to confrontation is rendered impotent by the collected calm and knowing superiority of the Brit. They find it incredibly unsettling to have to share a space with a being so obviously and thoroughly superior to them, particularly resenting the way that they cant help but appear childish in comparison.

They say that to be born an Englishman is to win the lottery of life.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahahaha ... but, +/-, did you or did you not once say that "life sucks"? I am sure you did ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Hahahahahaha.....but, did you not once post a useful comment? I am sure you didnt...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... if the purpose was only to keep this thread alive, while having a poor attempt to piss you off ... it was useful enough ;)

• Silje Linnerud

@Alex+ Thanks a lot for the info. Well, about the small town thing, I am not sure either. I am actually doing a favor for a friend of mine. That's simply what she said, so I just put it there, too. Anyway, it's really nice. Thank you!

Oh, I just noticed that the irrelevant button looks somehow intriguing. Now I understand why some of the users here love so much to flag others' posts irrelevant. HAHAHA.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... and you are welcomed :)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

if the purpose was only to keep this thread alive,

Then why not just write "im a creepy old man". It would have achieved the same, and it would have been funny, and it would have been true, instead of just the opposite.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... not too sure how "creepy old man" can piss you off though ... unless you and your live-in pal are? oh, heavens, no ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

not too sure how "creepy old man" can piss you off though

It would be a poor attempt, like what you claimed to be trying to achieve, bizarrely.

unless you and your live-in pal are? oh, heavens, no ...

??....................make that "creepy, crazy old man."

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... dont worry, your secrets are safe ... C, time to click NR ...

• Silje Linnerud

There's no such a thing called NR. You guys keep fighting. I am good here! Have fun!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... sorry ... my mistake ... I meant the I button :)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Back to work here.

DD, please find something constructive to do for society. Bumping threads with asinine comments is not your purpose in life.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... to help my friend(s) is my purpose in life ... :)

• Reply from High Priest is flagged as not relevant.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

to help my friend(s) is my purpose in life

asinine comments do not help your friends.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... she needs information that I dont have, but she also needs this thread to stay alive :)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

she needs information that I dont have

asinine comments do not help your friends.

she also needs this thread to stay alive

Then why not just write "im a creepy old man". It would have achieved the same, and it would have been funny, and it would have been true, instead of just the opposite.

Please find something constructive to do for society. Bumping threads with asinine comments is not your purpose in life.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... sorry ... but I thought I have already answered that?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Hahahaha ... sorry ... but I thought I have already answered that?

Hahahaha....sorry.... but if you could read properly you would see that I didnt really ask you a question expecting a reply; it was rhetorical and therefore more of a statement, not a request for an explanation.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

it was rhetorical and therefore more of a statement, not a request for an explanation

Hahahaha ... dont worry, I have found the "question", and might even have identified the answer, except that I am not the one who has to answer it ... you will be notified when it happens :)

Damn ... it might not even be ONE question, or ONE answer ... rather, same question and same answer, but more than one people would have to answer ... but again, you will be notified :)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

OP, please note the following:

For a reasonably-priced, quintessentially English Sunday carvery visit Simpsons-in-the-Strand

• Simen Wangberg

Why yes! I once happened upon a fine young chap from one of the council estates of London. He gave me a truly illuminating view into the grace, refinement and class of your average British male.

Also, explain Benny Hill.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Sadly, the preceding comment lacks the humility which the poster attributes to the refined English gentleman.

Sadly, Liam (possibly a fellow Brit) fails to notice the winking smiley at the end there, thus possibly negating previous postings' allusion to British grasp of nuance...

Oh well, there's always one that will let the team down.

PS. "李安" transliteration "Leann", is a girl's name.

Edit: screw it hes just another yank, explains everything, allusions not negated - NEXT.

• Simen Wangberg

"Alex" (transliteration "Alex") is a girl's name.

Holy shit - ALEX MACK. Can you guys feel me on that?? She had a secret world. On Nickelodeon. In the '90s.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

lol. I still have a secret world ;)

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

the bold declaration

Implied (lol) that englishmen were lucky to be born so. There is no lack of humility in a tacit admission to benefitting from luck.

he was just flame-baiting

....cogs in Scotts mind are slowly beginning to clunk into synch...someone has been taking their vitamins.

Actually, "安" is a gender neutral character.

Actaully that has nothing to do with transliteration of "安". In Beijing it is pronounced "an1". Li is Li. An is An. Li - An. Leanne.

the validity of which would be more easily ascertained in a verbal context.

Congratulations for realizing that "tone of voice" is hard to perceive from text. You may be the first internet user to note this.

However, it could just as easily be interpreted as a provocative expression

Now, strangely, you are displaying a better understanding of nuance...

one which affirms the poster's intent to mock his target.

Not so fast - "may indicate the posters intent to mock his target" would be fairer.

Leanne, check Mcbrostein's response to OP for the context.

England attempts to rival China's pageantry and patriotism leading up to the Olympics.

Scott, England has pageantry and patriotism. China has peasantry and nationalism.

• Sonja Lund
  • Sonja Lund
  • Sonja Lund
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

question..answer..question..answer

DD, this is too much for today :/ headache, i doubt anyone could understand what you're talking about... but again, keep bumping up all the threads with your "non-answers" to "non-questions". It seems like a tradition here

Tara ... I actually know nothing, but, with your (sudden) appearance in this thread, after the long dreadful things I have said, now I do ... sorry about your headache ... hope you feel better soon ... again, if you want to talk about the pain, or whoever/whatever might have caused it, you know where to find me ...

• J WU
    J WU wrote:

A small pub called Black Sun. totally british style

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.