Discussion » Nonsense » Barack Obama, American Marijuana Hero

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    <h1>A User's Guide To Smoking Pot With Barack Obama [br]</h1> <p>via Buzzfeed (<a href="http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/a-users-guide-to-smoking-pot-with-barack-obama">link</a>)</p> <blockquote> <p>A self-selected group of boys at Punahou School who loved basketball and good times called themselves the Choom Gang. Choom is a verb, meaning "to smoke marijuana."</p> </blockquote> <p>Uh, okay...</p> <blockquote> <p>As a member of the Choom Gang, Barry Obama was known for starting a few pot-smoking trends. The first was called "TA," short for "total absorption." To place this in the physical and political context of another young man who would grow up to be president, TA was the antithesis of Bill Clinton's claim that as a Rhodes scholar at Oxford he smoked dope but never inhaled.</p> </blockquote> <p>We heard this when he was running for prez the first time, but he had an acronym for it?</p> <blockquote> <p>Along with TA, Barry popularized the concept of "roof hits": when they were chooming in the car all the windows had to be rolled up so no smoke blew out and went to waste; when the pot was gone, they tilted their heads back and sucked in the last bit of smoke from the ceiling.</p> </blockquote> <p>Can't hotbox Air Force 1.</p> <blockquote> <p>When you were with Barry and his pals, if you exhaled precious pakalolo (Hawaiian slang for marijuana, meaning "numbing tobacco") instead of absorbing it fully into your lungs, you were assessed a penalty and your turn was skipped the next time the joint came around. "Wasting good bud smoke was not tolerated," explained one member of the Choom Gang, Tom Topolinski, the Chinese-looking kid with a Polish name who answered to Topo.</p> </blockquote> <p>So. This isn't satire?</p> <blockquote> <p>Barry also had a knack for interceptions. When a joint was making the rounds, he often elbowed his way in, out of turn, shouted "Intercepted!," and took an extra hit. No one seemed to mind.</p> </blockquote> <p>Shit just got real.</p> <p>I'm (officially) picking up a stack of Obamao t-shirts after work today before all Obamoid hipster kitsch skyrockets in price. I hope when I go back to America this guy has declared himself President for Life and makes public appearances in a tracksuit accompanied by exotic animals.</p>
  • Reply from WeLiveInBeijingRess is flagged as not relevant.

• Reply from Jay is flagged as not relevant.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Much as I want to make this thread about Mozart, who was a normal German (read: loved poop), Calvin raises an interesting point:

If my President is a noted smoker of the devil weeds, then what am I? Being American is so crucial to my personal identity, and the cognitive dissonance of knowing that my current head of state used to be a drug fiend would devastate me, if not for bong-rips.

• WeLiveInBeijingRess

you are not fun, my comment was relevant for sure, it's just ppl whose mind is fucked up by many rules can't see it tho, btw i am too weak to argue with you anyhow, don't be too harsh when you comment back, or better just ignore it

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahahaha ... sorry ... I have to ... because the same person who said:

my comment was relevant for sure

... also said:

we changed your thread to other topic, haha

• WeLiveInBeijingRess

so? don't you admire me that i can think so diversifiedly?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahahaha ... how can I put it nicely?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Internet is SRS BSNS, Mimi.

Brotha is a FORMER stoner, and now he raids all the California legal dispensaries and growers. Although he definitely used to be a major stoner, this just makes him more of a hypocrite.

True dat. He hasn't at all departed from his predecessors when it comes to policy enforcement.

That said, I'm rather ambivalent about dispensaries. This is one of the only facets of the Michigan medical cannabis law that is stricter on the growers' side than its California counterpart--growers cannot combine their individual allotments of 12 plants per patient into a larger operation.

But I think this encourages individual growers to get their hands dirty instead of leaving everything up to their designated grow lab technician. Then again, I think industrializing cannabis is a pipe dream; why the fuck would the potheads of the future want to pay anything resembling todays street prices (plus taxes) for something they can legally grow in a closet at a fraction of the expense?

Cannabis legalization will save a lot of tax dollars wasted on enforcement, but it absolutely will not produce sustainable profits the way tobacco does.

Libertarians sure are useful idiots, though.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

They gotta legalize. Usage in Netherlands is considerably lower than in USA.

To a large extent, I agree ... and just as an exmaple ...

Alcohol abuse among teenagers has always been a huge problem in Oz where it is illegal to sell alcohols to minors, whereas the the issue is relatively mild in HK where kids are allowed to buy alcohol from supermarket etc ... I am sure there are other reasons behind each case, but I think it has something to do with the system ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Alcohol abuse among teenagers has always been a huge problem in Oz where it is illegal to sell alcohols to minors, whereas the the issue is relatively mild in HK where kids are allowed to buy alcohol from supermarket etc ... I am sure there are other reasons behind each case, but I think it has something to do with the system ...

Similar comparisons have been made between the U.S. and European countries with more liberal drinking laws.

BTW, I blame the American temperance movement on first-wave feminists. The first thing women did with their right to vote was a gigantic FUCK YOU to the rest of America.

Someone needs to stop the Mexican drug wars

And this is exactly why I am untroubled by the apparent "cynicism" of medical marijuana initiatives. Are the vast majority of medical marijuana patients faking or embellishing illnesses? Absolutely. But that's exactly what the drug warriors have been doing all along concerning the social harms of the drug itself.

It's the profitability of trafficking that leads to crime, not the consumption of drugs themselves.

Law enforcement has traditionally focused on making drugs prohibitively expensive, but this has been an abject failure.

But if folks started producing high-quality marijuana in their basements, cheaply, and remain prohibited from selling it...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

But if folks started producing high-quality marijuana in their basements, cheaply, and remain prohibited from selling it...

....then tobacco, alcohol and pharma companies would still lose out on massive profits due to product replacement.

The only thing that is preventing it from being fully decriminalized is the fear among large corps that it would hurt their profits.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

....then tobacco, alcohol and pharma companies would still lose out on massive profits due to product replacement.

That's not going to happen, though, we can dream :)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Even as someone who would certainly prefer recreational cannabis usage over alcohol or tobacco for health reasons, as well as someone who acknowledges its obvious superiority over clinical anti-depressant praxis, I still can't see cannabis replacing other products. Particularly tobacco, as the proliferation of cannabis will make nicotine no less addictive. Medical marijuana is rarely used by itself to cure or even treat diseases. It has been most successful in offsetting the nauseating side-effects of chemotherapy drugs.

In the long run, however, granted legalization, potheads will eventually outbreed the alcoholics, because whiskeydick.

I think it's the inability to patent a plant and the futility of trying to isolate any of the hundreds of psychoactiveactive cannabinoids in it that makes medical cannabis a non-starter for pharmaceutical companies.

The only thing that is preventing it from being fully decriminalized is the fear among large corps that it would hurt their profits.

ಠ_ಠ

O RLY?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

alt text

While weed for the majority of people is a harmless yet dorky drug for players to enjoy crap games like WoW, it causes social isolation, and paranoia.

That's funny because I missed the MMORPG bandwagon because I spent all my time and money smoking ganja with people I wouldn't have otherwise hung out with.

I agree it should be legalized b/c then usage would plummet b/c it would no longer be "cool".

I feel similarly about vidyagaems sometimes. FUCKING CASUALS!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

...but barack obama says he's totally quit and those time was bad time or smoking is absolutely bad or something didn't he..?

At least he's not Born Again.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Pete,

I dont mean replace entirely, but put it like this. Youre 21, throwing a party and buying the shit. Do you really need those 2 extra bottles of JD when youve got 2 oz of low cost top grade pot to share around?

You also forgot to mention that alcohol "causes" violence, loss of self control and lapse of judgment; many self examining alcoholics or casual tobacco smokers friendly with pot may completely switch over to pot.

Another thing the gov hates about pot but will never admit is that it doesnt encourage the consumption of other drugs, just food. While cocaine and alcohol, pills and alcohol, speed and alcohol etc go together hand in hand, pot requires nothing to compliment...other than sugar. Maybe a beer.

The final, secret reason that pot is outlawed is because it opens ones third eye, hones ones bullshit detector and makes one less prone to unquestioningly and blindly following authority figures (the gubbermint).

PS. Obamessiah will hereon be referred to as 'Barry', to reflect the rather simple common man (and massive hypocrite) that he is.

• Simen Wangberg

"Alcohol would never be replaced with pot since they are completely different"

Alcohol and weed ARE different. Let's check out Pete's analysis to see just HOW different they are!

"alcohol is a fun social drug that makes everything better Shitty music = great music"

Got it. So alcohol can be used to make things that are normally crappy AWESOME!

"weed for the majority of people is...for players to enjoy crap games like WoW"

Got it. So weed can be used to make things that are normally crappy AWESOME!

Wait. So how are these two things different again? Cos they ARE different, but you definitely made them sound the same.

Jeeeeesus. I'ma go choom it.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

That's because the supply and demand of the product kinda come to a balance level driven by a significantly smaller profitability expectation. When it's legalized, some producers and dealers have to quit out from this industry because it's no longer as profitable, or a major share of the market could be taken by large corporations.

But that's not what happened in the Netherlands. Neighboring governments pressured the Dutch to restrict sales to citizens only.

Legalization would be in hope of leveraging the market and reducing the use, but the government wouldn't take that risk of causing more social problems.

What's becoming plainly obvious is that maintaining prohibition is causing more social problems than any rational person could even dream it prevents. If the "solid social and moral foundation" is still not ready, decades into the War on Drugs, then what the hell was the point? That should have been the easiest objective to achieve, especially if one buys into the conventional wisdumb that drugs turn you into a mindless cannibal.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

People....

There are REAL REASONS (nothing to do with public health) why pot is not only KEPT ILLEGAL but also considered by many in government as THE MOST DANGEROUS DRUG OF ALL.

The secret:

IT MAKES YOU THINK ABOUT SHIT.

THE LAST THING THE GUBBERMINT WANT ARE THEIR FLOCK THINKING, I MEAN REALLY THINKING, FOR THEMSELVES.

Pete, (lol) imagine youre a shepherd. You dont want your sheep to become smart or wary of you overnight? Why? It will make them more difficult to be (mis)lead to the market to be sold, slaughter house to be knackered etc.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

If they make it cheap enough, it could cause more juveniles involved,

It could also cause juveniles to stop doing categorically stupider shit, like cough medicine, inhalants, prescription drugs, and jenkem.

causing some sort of tensions (even computer game obsession does it),

In other words, a moral panic? That ship has set sail.

as long as it's seen as an obsessive and harmful behavior.

How much longer is it going to be seen that way now that we know the leader of the free world was not just an occasional user, but totally absorbed?

But if it's expensive enough, say the gov imposes heavy tax on it, it because profitable again and black markets could be more active. That's my guess, it's just tricky.

Logistically speaking, taxing homegrown ganja legally produced strictly for personal consumption would be far trickier than the task of growing it; it's called weed because it grows anywhere. You can grow it in a tiny box in your home. You can grow it in between other plants in the wild. Tobacco, on the other hand, requires agricultural and industrial processes to sustain profits.

If we want to give full play to this juvenile corporate conspiracy trope, I think The Man would be more concerned about the vastly expanded powers that IRS auditors would need if they were to levy such a tax.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

To be fair, Alex was probably playing Devil's Advocate with the mysticism, conspiracy theories and anti-corporatism; these are not features of his ideology. I am unable to render a decisive assessment of either party's pooper perforating performance.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

It is the fact many people in the government make a lot of money from the drug war,

Yes, you are right ;) This is the main reason.

thousands of officers are deployed to stop it, there are more lobbyists to ensure it stays illegal than legal.

Yes, but who employs the lobbyists? I do not think that they are funded by the same people as those in government who profit from the drug war. Look elsewhere for those (big pharma, tobacco and alcohol).

If you look at the statistics of usage it should have already happened Alex.

.........it already has. Havnt you noticed pot smokers general disdain for gubbermint and big corps?

Will you argue that this is a purely casual/coincidental relationship? Perhaps, and you might be in part right, but you would also be neglecting something - that which I mentioned above.

Will you argue that there are just as many law enforcement officials and anti-drug lobbyists that smoke pot as there are among other demographics? Perhaps, but that would be a stupid.

• MATE
    MATE wrote:

@Alex +1

The secret:

IT MAKES YOU THINK ABOUT SHIT.

oh man.... those drugs didn't make u smarter. by the way think about shit what means that ? The only Genius Idea I ever got from MJ was Eating Chicken Mc Nuggets at 3 o clock in the morning.

MJ turns People into lazy socks that's all, there is a reason that even Countries like Nether land stop there free Consume of this drug as well.

But I agree anyway to Legalize every drug, just I don't like how some drugs be sold like Magic Pills which makes u a Genius.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Well fuck you and all your shit, @MATE, because Transhumanism.

Good article, @Ingerling.

“Addictive substances, whether they are bath salts, alcohol or other drugs, can have horrific and costly consequences. Sometimes these consequences can result from only one use; other times they are a result of the complex brain disease of addiction," Susan E. Foster, vice president and director of policy research and analysis at The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University told CNN. "Together, risky use of addictive substances and addiction constitute our nation’s largest and most costly health problem."

Treating drug addiction and abuse as a health problem is a step in the right direction. One must have a number of problems aside from drug use to be naked and eating a homeless dude's face.

When I heard that it was blamed on "a kind of LSD," I immediately thought the cops were idiots, but it does make sense that dealers would market a hallucinogen in this way. But the story does sound a lot more like PCP, which was implicated in a similar moral panic a decade ago. PCP is a dissociative used by veterinarians as an anaesthetic.

Ketamine, popular with clubkids and Chinese KTV-fiends, is chemically and subjectively similar.

PCP, however, is somewhat racially stigmatized, not unlike crack cocaine. PCP is popular with the blacks. And although alcohol is the only drug statistically proven to cause violence, PCP is the only other drug which law enforcement officials believe might predispose users toward violence, but then only based on anecdotes about scary black people getting crazy retard-like strength and imperviousness to pain, running on two broken legs and ignoring 9mm gunshot wounds like zombies. The fast kind.

My experience with other kinds of dissociatives led me to believe users are of greater danger to themselves. It fucks your motor skills up pretty badly.

My opposition to the War on Drugs parallels my opposition to wars of most other kinds. Be it a military-industrial complex or a prison-industrial complex, I don't think "corporate" or "government" are optimal terms to use to describe the institutions maintaining the status quo.

Consider this:

There are clusters of public and private businesses contracted to provide goods and services for prisons: food, clothing, toiletries, healthcare, and other necessities. The quality of these goods and services are understandably low, but they charge the state a lot of fucking money for that shit, and without a doubt their bottom line benefits from steadily rising incarceration rates, regardless of the effect that might have on the rest of society.

And that's to say nothing for corrections officers, who are the worst people on the face of the planet, categorically speaking.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I should think the accompanying apathy is more than enough to counter any propensity the drug might induce towards revolution.

I'm of the opinion that the increased availability of recreational drugs ended the revolutionary violence of the sixties.

Weed in particular doesn't make people apathetic, however. Lethargic, maybe. Fascinated with nuance, sure. But apathetic? Nah.

How non-sensical it is to pursue users of drugs like meth instead of focusing ALL resources on going after dealers and producers. There's no hope for any of the users once they've got a police rap for it.

Although the conclusion is certainly valid, methamphetamine is perhaps one of the worst drugs for illustrating this point due to the ease of production and chemical/subjective similarities to a wide variety of legal stimulants.

• Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

Sigh...Mozart was born in the Archbishopric of Salzburg(Salzburg is now a city in Austria),which in itself was a sovereign city. My point being he was NOT a German. Americans....you probably think Arnold Schwarzeneger is German as well.

If you want to talk about German composers then talk about Ludwig van Beethoven or Johannes Brahms.

Regarding drugs: well the legal status of drugs changes throughout times, maybe there will be day again when some of the western nations actually see the benefit of legalizing drugs. Reasoning here is of course that diminishes the drug crime rate and brings in TAX money. When alcohol was banned during the probation era in the US we ironically became witness to the probably most notorious, most violent time in the 20th century, in that particular country. PEOPLE WANT THEIR DRUGS....I say give it to them.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

But he loved poop.

• Reply from Dominik is flagged as not relevant.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

He loved writing letters and songs about poop, and rimjobs. I too like rimjobs, but without the gravy. Maybe Mozart had similar preferences. But I think we are all in agreement that scatological tendencies are quintessentially part of the German Character.

We all know Ahnuld is Austrian because he is not an "economic girly-man," and the Austrian School is so very bromantic.

• 随便叫兽
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I didn't say anything about receiving, @'Dward. I like balloon knots. Deal with it.

NVR 4GET

alt text

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I like balloon knots.

Do they like BWs?

docking.gif

Again?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.