Discussion » Current Events » 45 Chinese Trash arrested in Nigeria

• Calvin
    Calvin wrote:
    <p>What happend. If you have the link for this story plz attach................ Wondering why no body want to talk about it here...</p>
  • Fabian Kollen
    Fabian Kollen wrote:

oh, cool, they even like to collect chinese trash, is it better than white trash?

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

不要太CCTV.

• №❶ Passioη

45 illegal chinese were arrested in one city. 100 in 2 cities - in 2 days

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2012-05/25/content_15383341.htm

The whole story cannot be fetched online at this time.. but what happened is: the Comptroller General of Immigration in Nigeria came to China on a 7 day visit and heard complains on how Nigerians are arrested and unfairly treated in China for over-staying visas and minor offenses.

So she decided to show the Chinese they are not the only ones with ability to enforce their laws against foreigners. As soon as she got back to Abuja last week, she launched a 2 day crack-down on Chinese people living and working without visas and permits... 2 days, 100 illegal Chinese people detained in 2 cities of Nigeria.

This was not intended to be a large scale operation but just a small example of the consequences of reciprocity if played as a response to the way the Chinese authorities handle certain minor issues. Although popular statistics does not hold it, there are over 80,000 Chinese people living and working in various cities in Nigeria. Most of them went on a 3 month tourist visa but stayed as long as 2 to 5 years.

China's external economic dependence is shifting from the west to Africa. It is important for 2 regions who need each other to respect each other on all levels (Political, Social, etc)...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... I have to ask, which particular dictionary says that "trash" equates "illegal"?

• くり
    くり wrote:

well done Nigeria.

• くり
    くり wrote:

@dd

probably LZ have used YR dictionary

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... big G ... who is YangHui?

MBC ... your "well done Nigeria" is too much of Yang Rui's style by the way ... but I wonder , if he will report this on his show ...

• くり
    くり wrote:

for the sake of reciprocity

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... you know that you dont actually owe this apology to me ...

For all we know, which is probably not much, these 45 in particular might have been "shipped" there to work by some Chinese corps who think that they can get away with anything ... dig, and you shall find ...

This was not intended to be a large scale operation but just a small example of the consequences of reciprocity if played as a response to the way the Chinese authorities handle certain minor issues. Although popular statistics does not hold it, there are over 80,000 Chinese people living and working in various cities in Nigeria. Most of them went on a 3 month tourist visa but stayed as long as 2 to 5 years.

This sounded very childish ... although legal and necessary ... in general, many of these systems (tourism, work permit etc) are fouled (wrong spelling) across the world ... similar crackdowns are common in Australia, though not on a "revenge" basis ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

though not on a "revenge" basis ...

Though maybe the Chinese will listen when someone speaks their language.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... the old saying is "money talks", so the language you are talking about is "green", if you are trading in USD, or "red", if you are trading in RMB ("red" here refers not to the communist regime, but the 100yuan note, heehee) ... what colors are used to represent other common currencies?

• №❶ Passioη

Hehehe.. Sorry, Next time I'll write in Cantonese

Uncle DD, the Chinese authorities claim the 100-Day crackdown on illegal foreigners is not related to the recent rape attempt by a Brit. The Nigerians are also denying this as an act of "revenge". Welcome to a world where everyone is learning fast to be equally devious when dealing with Chinese

Oh, in the interest of rather native language users, I'll rephrase this in Australian English:

This was not intended as a large scale operation against illegal Chinese immigrants, but a small example of the consequence of discarding positive 'reciprocidade' when handling minor issues against Nigerians. The Chinese authorities have been said to be cruel, insistent and anti-laowaish in handling little issues countries like Nigeria would usually overlook. (here you may extract who's childish ;) :x

Although popular statistics does not hold it, there are over 80,000 Chinese people living and working in various cities in Nigeria. Most of them migrated on 3 month tourist visas but stayed as long as 2 to 5 years; Because working conditions in Nigeria are favorable to Chinese, and there are no restrictions or heavy taxes imposed on their money sent back to China.

--

An extra word to you Uncle DD. if you love your dear China so much, then stop claiming Australia... China does not allow dual nationality... So you're either this or that. Stop sitting on the fence :P

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... there is no really such thing as "write in Cantonese" ... but then, oh well, never mind ...

Welcome to a world where everyone is learning fast to be equally devious when dealing with Chinese

Like I was talking to someone on weibo, in relation to what YR has said, and this other person (who has studied in Germany for 7 years) told me that they often said something similar about Chinese over there in Germany ... my reply was:

just because they said it over there, does it mean that we (as Chinese) would do something back as a revenge?

As I said in the other thread, I dont "love" China as a country, but as a race (or culture) who has thousands of years behind us, I believe that we can do better than just being childish ... and disappointingly, that's what (or "not what", depending on your angle) the "country" is doing, completely ignoring our past ...

... so as far as nationality is concerned, I have no issue as being Australian Chinese ... if you have done your homework, which you have obviously skipped classes, I was never once a Chinese citizen nor resident ... and I have many reasons to dislike China as a country ...

As I had also said in yet another thread last week, but in Chinese, at the moment, most countries are "afraid" of China, mainly because of economic, and, possibly, military reason (yes, I am sure there are exceptions) ... and personally, I would rather see, but surely and sadly, not in my life time, that China becomes a country that's respected and loved, instead of being feared ... a country that would be the top choice for people when they think about "migration", instead of US or UK or Canada or even Australia ... but, again, surely and sadly, this will not happen in my life time, and I am disappointed to say that I doubt it would ever happen ...

So ... to shut me up ... you would need to do better ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

CHA-CHING

That was not the sound of someone making fun of Chinese phonemes. That was the sound of Dando cashing in all the Internets he has earned from his investments.

Who's the racist now?

• №❶ Passioη

"I'll write in Cantonese" was an expression to pinch your 'HongKongNess' rather than your more sensitive 'ChineseNess' but as usual, you wanna convert this to your regular English language class, let's have it your way...

I have no issue as being "Australian Chinese"

WRONG, It only works the other way round if you're referring to your race as Chinese and nationality as Australian.. (Chinese Australian).. but works even better without the "Chinese" in a modern world..

just because they said it over there, does it mean that we (as Chinese) would do something back as a revenge?

Let's leave this one to a presumption that you're not a foreign resident in China.. so you may not know how frequently it occurs... Anti-LaoWai sentiments in form of cheating foreigners, assaulting them, etc is usually glorified by Chinese as a revenge for some historical crap... at least subconsciously but let's leave that for another thread..

As usual, patriotically driven arguments make it harder to portray a difference between the nationalistic and racial Chinese person. For example, the context of this thread is purely about 2 nationals, not races... but you (as an acclaimed Australian national) are just as sensitive to it as you would be if it was about the Chinese race.

I'll ignore your earlier theory for consistency... let's address only this shall we?

most countries are "afraid" of China, mainly because of economic, and, possibly, military reason

True. And I think the only reason others cannot afford to let China get to the top is the lack of transparency with that rising power / influence... you know the details so I'll skip..

As long as Chinese people (surprisingly including the seemingly sufficiently exposed ones like you) refuse to be fully integrated with the wider world and be seen as everyone else, there will always be a reason to worry...

.... China becomes a country that's respected and loved, instead of being feared ... a country that would be the top choice for people when they think about "migration", instead of US or UK or Canada or even Australia

There are multiple Chinese-branded barriers to this "dream".. including: "I dont "love" China as a country, but as a race (or culture) who has thousands of years behind us" .

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

Let's leave this one to a presumption that you're not a foreign resident in China.. so you may not know how frequently it occurs... Anti-LaoWai sentiments in form of cheating foreigners, assaulting them, etc is usually glorified by Chinese as a revenge for some historical crap... at least subconsciously but let's leave that for another thread..

Dont assume ... I have had my share of being cheated as a foreigner, so, you again need to do more homework ...

Also, as I have said before, and I dont mind repeating ... the behaviour as you have described has happened, but the way you said it, I think there needs to be a distinction between different foreigners, which will bring up the "race" issue, not my preference, but you can continue if you want ... so maybe if you can be a bit more specific?

As usual, patriotically driven arguments make it harder to portray a difference between the nationalistic and racial Chinese person. For example, the context of this thread is purely about 2 nationals, not races... but you (as an acclaimed Australian national) are just as sensitive to it as you would be if it was about the Chinese race.

You are correct that this thread started as a "national" and I have not defended what China (as a country) has done to Nigerians in China, and as far as I am concerned, law enforcement should be done at all time, not as a show nor revenge ...

I have nothing against this "100 day crack down" in China, because that's the rights of the country, equally, I have nothing against what the Nigerians have done either, but the intention was, well, you know ... however, if the Chinese have in any way ill-treated Nigerians in detainment, then there is something else to be said here ... do you have that information about those complaints?

What I have been saying is that, maybe, only maybe, when Chinese (as a race, and, then, and only then, as a country) wake up to it, they would do things right ... both internally and externally ...

you know the details so I'll skip

Q: what details?

As long as Chinese people (surprisingly including the seemingly sufficiently exposed ones like you) refuse to be fully integrated with the wider world and be seen as everyone else, there will always be a reason to worry

You are now pushing this back into the "race" discussion ... because you need to understand that China is a country that's built on a race and culture, and the mindset of a country cannot be changed until the mindset among the culture can be changed ... at the moment, I would say that they are all changing, but not necessarily in the right direction ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

The controller emphasized that every foreigner who is not in the country to add value to the Nigerian economy, but to devalue it will not be allowed henceforth.

Agreed ... but how is "value" defined?

He assured foreign nationals who come to Nigeria to invest and create employment for Nigeriansthat they will be welcomed and supported by the Federal Government.

So this is how "value" is defined?

All those foreign nationals trading in the market who are causing economic havoc in our country will be arrested and deported to their country

How is "havoc" defined?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

War? Nah. Some generals are getting a bit anxious because they have supposedly developed a cruise missile that can hit a moving aircraft carrier, but I call bullshit because nobody at work can even hit the interior of the urinal.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... C, what have you heard?

And, does that imply foreigners are "trapped" inside BJ, and still needs a pass to go outside?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... you are so "not new" in China, and you know that ... this is not the best system, perhaps worse than now, because my guess is that you will need a conditional pass (or permit) to stay longer and/or move around, and they might even put border patrol ...

This might in fact be reverting back to a few centuries ago ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... huh?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Wouldn't that plan require customs checkpoints at every intercity train station and bus depot?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

There will be no Chinese invasion of Africa unless China's present investments in Africa, which are substantial, were in serious jeopardy. Broadly speaking (how else can you speak about a whole continent?), they are not, unless you are the kind of ignorant cracker who just assumes every country in Africa plans their civil wars, coups, and ethnic cleansings to coincide, because that means CNN can report on them as a batch. Contrary to popular belief, Africa is not a timeless place where angry tribesmen throw spears at each other and fuck the wounds. People do business there, too.

• Stevie Wonder
    Stevie Wonder wrote:

Impressive.fight fire with fire so to speak.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

25 Chinese arrested in Chana for illegally mining gold.

Foreign gold seekers are nothing new in Ghana, but a new wave of prospectors are now making their presence felt, this time from China. Ghana’s laws say foreign companies are only allowed to work on large, open-pit operations. But campaigners say Chinese entrepreneurs are also illegally controlling small-scale operations behind the scenes, typically through a local intermediary

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

their own citizens -like small ants- are all around the world, ILLEGAL!

Chill it, Doc ... not all of them are illegal and you know that ... and I am betting that you are friends with some legal ones back home ...

if there is a same crackdown against illegal Chinese in US, i bet China will cry its ass off.

No ... not likely ...

Like I had said above, but some dicks ... oh, let's not go there yet again ... as I was saying, Oz gov kicks out illegal people (including but not limited to Chinese) on a random basis ... and though I dont know how often the other non-China countries are doing it, they are doing it ...

Also ... if my understanding is correct, Hong Kong is still doing it right now ... yes, some mainland Chinese are (or were, in 2011) still crossing the border to go to HK illegally, after HK has "officially" become part of China in 1997 ...

And no, I have not heard China even sneeze about it ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

i am not friends with any of illegals here

By "here", you meant China? Or have you gone back home already? That will subsequently define the "origin" of your "illegals", in case you dont notice ... but it is good to know that you are selective about whether your friends are legal or not ...

As I was saying ...

Chill it, Doc ...

And then I also said:

not all of them [Chinese living overseas] are illegal and you know that ... and I am betting that you are friends with some legal ones back home

i came across new policies been issued by the ministry of Health, China for the forefingers serving in medical field and trust me those policies are absolutely unfair, economically and morally!

I am not doubting one single bit of that, yet ... since most of us are not involved in this area, so maybe if you want to share?

As a person who has loved china for long time, engaged with a Chinese and been in china sharing happiness quite long, frankly speaking, i feel- that it hurts.

By the way, engaged? I believe "congratulation" is in order! Let's get together again soon ... oh, giving me you new number would help too ...

china should realize that NOT ALL but many Chinese immigrant in US are illegal

I am betting that the government knows about: triads, cheap labor (I think it was reported that The Gap employed them for quite a while?) etc, but it does not mean that the government will come out and say something like this now:

Hey, some of our people are living illegally in your country, you are welcome to send them back

FYI ... they did once announce this around the 80's and 90's, when many mainland Chinese were "swimming", literally, to Hong Kong, before, and then also after 1997, and they did imprison those who were caught and sent back, but overall, it was mainly for show ... because once these people got out, some of them just grabbed a couple of blow-up thingies and jumped into the ocean and went sight-seeing in Hong Kong again ... so, the government knows ...

US never implemented any policy by which a local resident and legal immigrant has to face difficult situations.

I suppose you can appreciate and understand that China is new to this "illegal" situation, and has never done this before, so as a country that has always had loopholes, they are attempting badly to do this "cleanly and correctly", once and for all ... believe me, like most of the "major policies" they have issued over the past decade, they will not "fix" this ...

Call me soon, OK?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... did you copy that somewhere, or use Google?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahaha ... it is just cute that you inserted the Nigerian version of Yang Rui ... as well as speaking/writing Nigerian ... I am sorry that I dont speak it at all, so, it would help a lot if you can perhaps talk in English, and much thanks ... :)

Q: By the way, are you actually agreeing with what Yang Rui has said?

Here's the origial text from ChinaSmack:

@主持人杨锐: The Ministry of Public Security must clean out foreign garbage, arresting foreign thugs and protect ignorant/innocent girls, with Wudaokou and Sanlitun being the disaster areas [worst places]. Behead the snake heads [human traffickers], the unemployed Americans and Europeans who come to China to make money, trafficking in people, misleading the public and encouraging them to emigrate. Identify the foreign spies, who find a Chinese woman to cohabitate with, while their job is to collect intelligence, drawing maps and perfecting GPS [coordinates] for Japan, Korea, Europe, and America under the guise of being tourists. Drive out the foreign shrew, shut down Al-Jazeera’s Beijing Office, let those who demonize China shut their mouths and fuck off!

There were only a ~3300 forwards and ~1600 comments of this microblog post so according to Chinese internet standards, this was not very popular.

(1) As "unwelcome" as YR (or his comment) is, this is OLD ... and even the "illegal" issue has quieted down, as expected ...[br]

(2) Obviously, based on the weibo statistics (and relevant noise), he has only gained a small group of supporters in China (or aroud the world) ...[br]

(3) his kind, or rather, if not himself, the kind of people who agrees with his words, will always be there, in the past, now, and future ... mostly the result of lack of education or exposure to outsider/foreign cultures ...

Unfortunately, this category of people exist in all shapes and sizes, and, most importantly, countries and races (yes, including Africa, which might be why you inserted those words, huh?), and over the years and centuries, it has become a "standard" among all cultures ... I would very much doubt if there is one country or culture (except Swiss?) that is totally free of such people ...

So, again, the YR thing is old, however, such typical "China versus the rest of the world" thing will continue, whether we like it or not ... and by mixing it up with Africa, it is very much the case of "it's quiet now, let's add us into the equation and stir it up again" ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.