Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » What makes you proud to be Chinese?

  • Floating
    Floating wrote:
    <h2>What makes you proud to be Chinese?</h2>
  • 小森
    小森 wrote:

    Our firm conviction, the courage of pay

  • Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

    Qi paoalt text

  • Sonja Lund
  • Sonja Lund
  • くり
    くり wrote:

    Jet li has hold an American passport for 20 years and now he is Singapore citizen.

  • Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

    i mean chinese kung fu,doesnt mean who he is

  • くり
    くり wrote:

    without damo(indian) chinese kung fu perhaps wouldnt have born...anyway, i dont really understand what is it all about. Do u guys really need always to confort urself with this?

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    Clothes? food?

    If I were Chinese, I would be proud of The Chinese Culture; this is: art, science, philosophy and literature ¨made in China¨.

    If you think Chinese Culture doesn´t have such things, you should read Science and Civilisation in China (Needham)

  • Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

    the first pic is about chinese qi pao,the second is kung fu ,they are all part of our culture,

  • Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

    to: A 豆腐 “If I were Chinese, I would be proud of The Chinese Culture; this is: art, science, philosophy and literature ¨made in China¨.”

    what you said can be used for any country,if the question is"what makes you proud to be English?" your answer can also be like the above content" if i were english,i would be proud of the English culture,this is ;art,science,philosopny and literature,made in england" but does it mean anything?

    i just want it to be more specific.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    but does it mean anything?

    It means I can not be proud of one hamburger (If I were from USA)

    alt text

    I can only be proud of things like

    alt text

  • Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

    to:A 豆腐 i think you are talking about horses and i am talking about one or two kinds of horses,(like white horse or black horse),you cant say white horse is not a horse.the problem is every country has horses.... they all have their own art, science, philosophy and literature .you are talking about it generally and i make it more specific....

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    Hahahahaha ... my reason is not complicated, but possibly sounds fairly silly to most ...

    the thousands of years of Chinese history ...

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    Nah, you are right, why deny it? A large number of foreigners come to China to taste delicious chinese food and women in qipao. Let´s be proud of the national product ;)

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    I thought the question was "what makes you proud to BE Chinese" not "what makes you proud OF China"

  • Sonja Lund
    Sonja Lund wrote:

    to:叮当 why silly? it is absolutely true

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... J4F, but didnt you once told me that I was silly? or something like that? Only if I remember what you said, hahahaha ...

  • Sonja Lund
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    DD, thanks for the laugh. I hate nationalism and ethnocentrism, so I don't think anyone should be proud of being Chinese or any other race or national. It's not like anyone had to do anything to become Chinese or British or whatever, just crawl out of the right vagina. But there are admirable things about China. China's acrobatics and martial arts are reknown. China is good at putting the big picture above short-term benefits like quality of life. Chinese education is very good at teaching people to memorize things and follow rules.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... if China only has a few hundred years to speak of, I am sure I would not feel quite the same way ... and I am only sorry that I have forgotten to ask what you hate ... does it mean that you would not like to meet other girls who might also possibly be proud of being Chinese?

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    DD, I am perfectly happy not to meet nationalist or otherwise mentally incapacitated people, no matter what country they are proud of being from. Where can I find a piece of land that doesn't have thousands of years of history? PRC has sixty+ years of history. By whatever logic someone can extend the conquests of the Mongolian empire or the Manchurians to "Chinese history", I can extend Roman history to the states. Or maybe I should just stick to the georgraphical area of the states, and use 15,000 years of Native American history as something to be proud of.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    Hahahahaha ... OK ... this is surely not what I expected to see, but then, I am not really a fortune teller ... or not a very good one, hahaha ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... heehee ... you know as well as many that I am not ...

  • Bing
    Bing wrote:

    what gets you here,what makes me proud to be chinese :)

  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

    @摸名,

    Your opinion is wrong. Not just 'Well, we can agree to disagree' or 'Some people in the world have different points of view to mine', but wrong.

    Philsophically I'm a huge determinist, which is essentially what you're describing as related to pride in one's country of origin. Your argument goes 'X has no control over what country he/she is born into, so therefore being proud of it is stupid'. As an abstract concept, I have no issue with this and the things it naturally extends do, such as identity, family and future opportunities (all of which are again, contingent on 'crawling out of the right vagina').

    But to use this argument as a way of countering people's inclination to derive pride from the factors that separate us from each other is, frankly, ridiculously obtuse. Taking pride in anything can be reduced to the same arbitrary and abstract idea that you've presented, but in a world that's full of people taking pride in things irrespective of the deterministic argument, what you amount to here is that slightly odd looking guy in the corner talking to himself about how no-one really understands.

    @the rest of you,

    I'm pretty disappointed with this thread. I know most of the readers are expatriate men that cruise the forums for stuff to make fun of to pass the time, but I was honestly hoping that some Chinese people would step up with some interesting and well-laid out historical or cultural view points.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Your opinion is wrong Well, you're stupid. And fat. But something that is entirely unrelated to one's own accomplishments or efforts and that only serves to create xenophobia is not something to be proud of.

    @Rockstar, +1.

  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

    @摸名,

    Your post calling me stupid might have worked better if you had successfully navigated the tricky quote function.

    Also, your own accomplishments and efforts are entirely unrelated causally to your own accomplishments and efforts, as you neither chose your genetic coding or had any say in the early years of your development, a development from which springs the entire edifice of what you're now referring to as 'Effort and Accomplishment' to highlight a critical difference between nationalism and the parts of identity that you're giving a free ride.

    Anyway, the idea that national or cultural pride = xenophobia and ethnocentrism is pretty dim. I've been to a lot of cultural festivals, Chinese and otherwise, and they must be hiding all the hate, which is surprising because I'm normally pretty good at finding it. At best, you're being ignorant with this insistence that national pride is somehow wrong due to Determinism (which I think is silly because Determinism more or less invalidates everything, everywhere). At worst, you're trying to intellectualise your own ignorance and lack of cultural identity.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ...

    Now my pride of being Chinese (as a culture, and, as a race, but not as a country or a nation, hell no, at least never the PRC, thank you very much) is being shaken ... being vibrated ... oh oh oh ...

    I'm pretty disappointed with this thread. ... but I was honestly hoping that some Chinese people would step up with some interesting and well-laid out historical or cultural view points.

    Hahahaha ... such are the "Maria" and "Da Fan", or "Sun" or "Dudu", who have not returned for a while, but my guess is that this would then be very very interesting ...

  • Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

    wonder if this world will ever be free from the horrors of war?

    Not for so long as man roams it. My pet peeve is currently the Americans droning randoms in Pakistan then wondering why they get tetchy about it.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... heehee ... troll bait for mudi (and Co) from Plus/Minus ... let's see if the line moves :)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... thanks for telling me ... it is disappointing to know that, despite your excellent Chinese and English ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... there is a gap in what you said, perhaps because of my poor understanding ...

    As I had just explained in lengthy details in the other thread, I am also disappointing in their behaviour, not only recent, but for generations ...

    .. in fact, when I reshipped what ChinaGeek said on weibo, a small army of three came to my weibo, and started asking me to leave China, which most people here know that I cannot wait, but I cannot leave ... so I politely told them that I will leave in two years ... :)

    Similar to what happened over a hundred years ago, and similar to what happened in 1989 ... we can never get rid of ignorant crazy people, but the government and media are responsible of monitor and control, and if they failed to do so, which in this case, they have, then the country has a problem ...

  • Saint - Spartacus
  • Saint - Spartacus

    alt text

    AngLee

  • Saint - Spartacus

    Chinese philosophy & chinese legends & Chinese mythology & 。。。。。 alt text

  • Saint - Spartacus

    alt text

    CHINESE tank pilot Mouse & Helicopter Pilot mouse seems more cool than mickey mouse , Proud to be chinese mouse !!!

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Chinese people should be proud of a Muslim eunuch who sailed to far off places in big boats trying to impress the locals.

  • Saint - Spartacus

    chinese people should be proud of the noah boat will set in china when it comes the end of the day as registered in mayan culture.Welcome to china to survivor... ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... hahahaha ... yes, and apparently, I am crazy too :)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) .. no harm done ...

  • Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

    alt text

  • Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

    1) Simple language: One is literate by only knowing 1500 words.[br] 2) All the truly virtuous men in the history (without good ending though).[br] 3) The twist between Confucianism and Taoism.[br] 4) Harmless to the world, the same degree as the contribution to the world civilization.[br] 5) Adaptation: Can do anything to survive, the last person on earth must be a Chinese; Almost eat every combination of all the chemical elements and still alive.[br]

    Not being proud, these things just came across my mind.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I allude to Zheng He and Saintro changes the subject to 2012.

    No wonder Daniel's jimmies are so rustled.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc