Discussion » Technology » Linux users...

• Jeff Dahmer
    Jeff Dahmer wrote:
    <p>As of late last night I have decided to do away with Winblows.</p> <p>Been running Ubuntu for 6 months on a 2nd machine and just freaking love it.</p> <p>What shell ya'll running?</p> <p>BASH :P</p>
  • Saint - Spartacus

i just saw it's infinite scrolling screen fonction .

• Simen Wangberg

Can't shut down the computer? Unstable? Memory issues? Can't record music?

You're right, it does sound better than Windows.

• Simen Wangberg

"of course anyone who does anything for any type of user is out for money. so naturally winblows and macinbotch are supported first."

Naaahhh man. There's plenty of free open-source software out there, and it's usually pretty decent. Remember Audacity, that free recording program I told you about? OpenOffice, 7zip, VLC media player...I don't think money has anything to do with the lack of Linux support for those programs.

I think it has more to do with the fact that it's kind of a pain in the ass to get certain things to work properly on Linux. But I don't know from operating systems. I just know I run Ad-Aware/Spybot every once in awhile on my Windows machine and have never had any major issues with malware or viruses. I think that stuff has more to do with just being careful about what you download and where you download it from.

Edit: there is a Linux version of VLC! Heeeeyo.

• Simen Wangberg

VLC gives you problems? Has worked on all my machines. Dunno man.

Yeaaa drumzzzz. Do it.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Isn't Mint practically an updated Ubuntu anyway?

I tried switching to Mint, but getting games to work through Wine (and especially recently released games) was such an irritating experience that I migrated back. I do prefer Mint for most other things, but I do like to have the ability to impulsively procrastinate with gaming, and having to restart the computer and boot into the Windows partition to do it just made me disillusioned with the whole thing.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.