Discussion » Beijing Life » the air...

• Peter S 李贝勒
    Peter S 李贝勒 wrote:
    <p>today was 254</p> <p>How to interpret the numbers? The most important parts are the index and the rating. These are calculated according to US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) guidelines</p> <p>0-50 Good</p> <p>51-100 Moderate (Unusually sensitive people should consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion)</p> <p>101-150 Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups (People with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion)</p> <p>151-200 Unhealthy (People with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion. Everyone else should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion)</p> <p>201-300 Very Unhealthy (People with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should avoid all physical activity outdoors. Everyone else should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion)</p>
  • Peter S 李贝勒

05-01-2012 13:00; PM2.5; 298.0; 348; Hazardous

today it's more than yesterday... unbelievable... so no sex outside but, it'could definitly be good excuse to stay in bed all the day. ;-)

but have to go to perform in ditan park, to keep the Funk Alive!!!

Take Ur Mask!!!

• Peter S 李贝勒

05-02-2012 16:00; PM2.5; 90.0; 165; Unhealthy

always under 150...

i wonder when the chinese gvt will take real decision. It's sometimes unbelievable, drink hot water not cold water, and blabla to be healthy, but what are they waiting for? that all their childrens have lungs problems? or they hope that grand pa die faster? or hope that we "laowai" we leave the country faster?

it's really an urgence now...

• Silje Linnerud

OP, you are amazingly creative and considerate for sharing your journals about the air in beijing. I am really touched.

• Reply from Saint - Spartacus is flagged as not relevant.

• Simen Wangberg

"or hope that we "laowai" we leave the country faster?"

I don't know about you, but the apartment complex I live in is full of old people. Real, live old people who managed to make it to their 70s, 80s, whatever after decades of breathing Beijing air.

But hey, if the air is too hard on your little baby-lungs, by all means, exit the country as swiftly as possible.

• Peter S 李贝勒

05-03-2012 15:00; PM2.5; 49.0; 123; Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups (at 24-hour exposure at this level)

probably when someone of ur family will have health problem cause of the air you will think differently...

to be very touchy is not solving the problem...

• Peter S 李贝勒

pollution effect on Human health

Overview of main health effects on humans from some common types of pollution.[26][27][28] Adverse air quality can kill many organisms including humans. Ozone pollution can cause respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, throat inflammation, chest pain, and congestion. Water pollution causes approximately 14,000 deaths per day, mostly due to contamination of drinking water by untreated sewage in developing countries. An estimated 700 million Indians have no access to a proper toilet, and 1,000 Indian children die of diarrhoeal sickness every day.[29] Nearly 500 million Chinese lack access to safe drinking water.[30] 656,000 people die prematurely each year in China because of air pollution. In India, air pollution is believed to cause 527,700 fatalities a year.[31] Studies have estimated that the number of people killed annually in the US could be over 50,000.[32] Oil spills can cause skin irritations and rashes. Noise pollution induces hearing loss, high blood pressure, stress, and sleep disturbance. Mercury has been linked to developmental deficits in children and neurologic symptoms. Older people are majorly exposed to diseases induced by air pollution. Those with heart or lung disorders are under additional risk. Children and infants are also at serious risk. Lead and other heavy metals have been shown to cause neurological problems. Chemical and radioactive substances can cause cancer and as well as birth defects.

my source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollution

• Peter S 李贝勒

Last: 2012-05-04 14:00 Min: 161 Max: 202

• Reply from 随便叫兽 is flagged as not relevant.

• Peter S 李贝勒

give true information in this country is a 1st step...

in time out they wrote that http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/features/Blogs/15375/Is-Beijing-air-as-bad-as-you-think.html

it's what we call misinformation, and manipulation of the information... in fact in beijing it's disneyland... WTF!

Dando, i love you too...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.