Discussion » Nonsense » CCP asks everyone to just STFU for a moment so it

• Alex ^∞
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

ha, this website has really been cooking on gas this month... Brilliant stuff, time and time again

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

yeah, im liking it. way better than the onion IMHO, even if it is, ironically, a "chinese" clone.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

yeah, it is like the Onion, but that satirical style wasn't particularly new to the Onion, who were riffing on Private Eye (among others), who were in turn riffing on Punch etc...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I dont know about the onion riffing PE, but PE definately learned from Punch....

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Absolutely, the Onion have been doing the faux news stuff Private Eye have been doing since the 1960's and long may the tradition continue...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

The political scandals going on right now would make it difficult not to produce brilliant stuff this month. Sort of like how the other Daily Show's best years were during the Bush Administration. Fish in a barrel.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

The onion's faux news is trite and obnoxious though, when compared to the wit of say, private eye, or this china daily show thingy... I am not an onion fan because they dont hammer individuals or pertinent issues hard enough. Basically, their stuff is light fluff - not edgey or biting enough. A toothless guard dog... Pivate Eye on the other hand is still very much toothed....and doing what I thought was the whole point in 'good journalism' (RIP) know what im getting at....?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Yeah, it's a fair point Alex. The UK has an online mag called The Daily Mash, its resoundingly dreadful and has no bite whatsoever.

Dando, you're right- Chinese news is absolutely ripe for satire, esp this month. One of the interesting things that has happened at the China Daily Show, is that they have done a few outrageous stories, just for shits and giggles and they have turned out to come true several weeks later...kinda inverting the 'you can't make it up..." type comments.

If anybody here thinks they can write this stuff at a decent level, and I'm a sure a few of you on here could do a great job, then do give it a crack, I know CDS are up for submissions if it is good stuff...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.