Discussion » All non BJ languages » Hey guys, what do u know about Dutch ppl ?

  • Eric Lee
    Eric Lee wrote:
    <p>Hey guys, what do u know about Dutch ppl? I'm recently not feeling good about an old Dutch, who seems to be an arrogant bastard all the time, I have some friends in Holland, they say most of the time it's fine there, except some immigrants are very racist. How much do u guys know about them? I'm not saying they are not good, but the old man really gives me very bad impression... he says everything here is worse than in his country, never showed any respect, but he has a Chinese GF, whom now I don't like either...</p>
  • Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

    I'm sorry if you are a Dutch and you think I've just hurt you, I never meant to be talking about stereotypes, and I don't like it, just wanna have some of your thoughts

  • Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

    @Skaught

    to be exact, those are Turks, not sure why tho

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    If you know a Dutch person who is an arrogant bastard all the time, I think it is pretty reasonable to assume they are all like that

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    I like the hands...

  • Lana Montana
    Lana Montana wrote:

    well, judging by my own experience, they are quite nice, i have also been to Holland and met random people just on the street, shops or restaurants, asking about the place or directions, also having some random chats with them about the country and culture. All of them were really friendly and willing to help, spoke very good English and being very polite.

  • Lana Montana
    Lana Montana wrote:

    @Rockstar Mooney, you meant "legal" brownies I suppose? :D :D :D

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    The Dutch prefer subtitles to dubbing when watching American television. I find them far more intelligible than most Brits.

    Dutch-American Calvinists are total shitcunts, though. Fuck them.

  • Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

    Every Brit I ever met preferred subs to dubs.... it is the yanks that are too lazy (or braindead?) to read subtitles. They also think their voice actors are on par with the Japanese (lulz....)

  • Florence
    Florence wrote:

    like a coin, everything has its two sides. i think , so do people.. some are nice ,some are not. it is nothing to do with where they come from or what the nationality is....howvever, somehow i ., um kinda of agree this ---"arrogant"

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Every Brit I ever met preferred subs to dubs....

    When watching American television? Point was that the Dutch speak with American accents. I think it's remarkable considering how defensive the Germans--who also prefer dubbing--are when it comes to Anglophone encroachments.

    But what do British preferences have to do with the price of brownies in the Netherlands? Who am I kidding? You're obviously just butthurt that I obliquely referred to many Brits as being unintelligible, so you're derailing the thread with anti-American sentiment because you're simply unintelligent.

    If it might mend your mancunt, I was mainly referring to chavs, Scots and folks from the "Norf" as less intelligible than many Dutch, so I'm a little mystified why you would choose this as a battleground to assert your vile WASPishness.

    You're so middle class.

    We get it.

    Now feck off.

    They also think their voice actors are on par with the Japanese (lulz....)

    I struggle to even recall the name of an American voice actor, despite the prolific amount of videogames and cartoons I consume. In the states, voice work is at best a side project for people involved in other parts of the entertainment industry.

    it is the yanks [and krauts] that are too lazy (or braindead?) to read subtitles.

    Many Americans prefer to have everything dubbed into plain Midwestern, but to whom it matters (namely, hardcore anime geeks and film snobs), subbing is generally preferred unless the series is popular enough to warrant professional localization, and even then, you'll find quite a few diehard American anime enthusiasts who insist on subtitles.

    Occasionally the localization budget is enough for a company to hire decent American voice actors (all dozen of them), or replace cultural references, puns, and idioms that Western audiences won't understand (Crayon Shin-chan's FUNimation dub is brilliant).

    The problem is, fansubbing is legally problematic because of our draconian intellectual property rights laws.

    tl;dr, Alex is a dumb cunt.

    Netherlanders. I like 'em. But that Black Pete shit has got to stop.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    My politically correct secular Santa was imagineered by the Coca Cola company.

    All that bs about Black Pete.... You try climbing through a chimney and stay white and clean... And yes, THAT is where the black colour comes from.

    I'm well aware of this facet of the story, but as it is a folk tale told from several different sources, it's somewhat more complicated than you say. After all, how might one acquire exaggerated crimson lips and Moorish clothing from crawling through a sooty chimney? There's a historically racial (but perhaps not racist) element to the character. It's not malicious, but it is certainly in poor taste.

    It's such bs to tell another country to stop their cultural traditions that are not hurting anyone. It's like telling the Irish to stop celebrating St. Patricksday.

    I think it's a bit more like telling Irish-Americans that it's in somewhat poor taste to call their Jagermeister + Red Bull concoctions "Irish car bombs."

  • Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

    phew... never thought this thread could have come to this

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Black Pete! So Santa had an oompa loompa on board. Who knew!?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I gave the recipe for a Jager bomb when talking about a similarly presented cocktail called an Irish car bomb, and because none of you pedants called me out on it, I am entitled to use a correction as a pretense to continue ranting about how the original Santa's Little Helper is an offensive racist caricature.

    And worse, these perverse lowlanders don't even leave treats that are suitable for the African metabolism of Black Pete.

    They give that nigga gingersnaps! Not fried chicken, watermelons, and grape soda!

    An Irish car bomb is a shot of whiskey and creme liquer into a tall glass of stout beer. Unlike its cousin the Jager bomb, the car bomb has a short fuse: you must drink it all at once or the creme liquer will curdle ant turn the whole thing to paste.

    Fuck yeah America. The land where the English and Dutch sent their most insufferable religious fanatics and dissidents. We're your fault, Yoorups. You made us this way with imperialism.

  • Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

    @ beardy weirdy (so sad we have to go back to this after all the progress we made)

    Point was that the Dutch speak with American accents. I think it's remarkable...

    Why? "American" English is the standard form taught the world over as a second language. Even in Europe.

    You're obviously just butthurt that I obliquely referred to many Brits as being unintelligible, so you're derailing the thread with anti-American sentiment because you're simply unintelligent.

    Your reference was incorrectly considered to be regarding their (the "Brits") taste for dubs over subs (this was as a result of a mis-reading by me - but feel free to flame me for being unintelligent re:my reading skills. I will counter with the facts that 1) I am not derailing the thread 2) I am not anti-american, because I AM actually american. 3) You are ignorant (but forgiven).

    I was mainly referring to chavs, Scots and folks from the "Norf" as less intelligible than many Dutch, so I'm a little mystified why you would choose this as a battleground to assert your vile WASPishness. You're so middle class.

    Im not sure how my WASPishness was asserted, but I'll have you know that I am upper class.

    In the states, voice work is at best a side project for people involved in other parts of the entertainment industry.

    You say it with pride, which is exactly the problem, and exactly why American animation remains inferior to what it could be, and why Japanese work remains the best out there.

    you'll find quite a few diehard American anime enthusiasts who insist on subtitles.

    Yeah, the ones with good taste.

    Occasionally the localization budget is enough for a company to hire decent American voice actors (all dozen of them), or replace cultural references, puns, and idioms that Western audiences won't understand (Crayon Shin-chan's FUNimation dub is brilliant).

    Yes, I agree that occasioanally the localization budget is enough for a company to thoroughly vandalise an otherwise awesome piece of art to the point of unwatchability and damage it beyond repair. What is your point? (Oh yeah...you dont have one, you just like the sound of your own sweaty fingers clicking keys.)

    The problem is, fansubbing is legally problematic because of our draconian intellectual property rights laws.

    Thank God for p2p.

    tl;dr, Alex is a dumb cunt.

    A matter of opinion I suppose...but not much of an insult coming from a poisen gnome whos self professed source of education was "the internet".

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    off-topic

    not derailing thread

    alt text

    Obligatory:

    alt text

  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    Black Pete!

  • Peter S 李贝勒

    Van gogh, good weed, nice people, good musicians, good football team, Amsterdam is really a beautifull town...

    @ eric Lee U find assholes in all the countries of this world... not a question of nationality...

    peace...

  • WeLiveInBeijingRess

    someone i know mentioned dutch today, he said they r hotties(he meant dutch girls), what other country can you see gorgeous blondes to ride bikes to commute?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    Hahahahaha ... Ronal, the Barbarian, is Dutch ...

    alt text

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

    你写歪了,兽兽。

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    "Dutch oven" is American slang when it describes the act of pulling the blankets over one's head immediately after farting in bed.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I too am glad that this thread about Dutch culture has enlightened you on the subject of American ethnocentrism, @Hana.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    "Dutch oven" is not american slung.

    "Dutch oven" is American slang when it describes the act of pulling the blankets over one's head immediately after farting in bed.

    Dickhead, not all English slung terms are AMERICAN

    ಠ__ಠ

    The vast majority of English slang terms specifically related to flatulence are in fact American, because Americans are especially fond of dick- and fart-related humor. To wit: the Dutch oven. The wikipedia link shows a surprisingly thorough amount of research, with eight (American) published sources.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    When the slung is commonly accepted by another culture, can it still be considered as "American slung"?

    It depends on how pedantic you want to be about etymological origins. For what it's worth, the other kind of Dutch oven is called a "casserole dish" in British English, but this isn't the slang usage of the word. In any case, I can't believe you could so earnestly beg the question: is this esoteric flatulence meme "commonly accepted" anywhere, even America?

    Can we still say "cool" is an American slung?

    No, that's wrong.

    Interested in knowing how to give different subjects an attributive which is related to nationality.

    White people take everything.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    If it is the kind that is filled with 好吃 like the kind they serve at Otto's Richang Cantonese restaurant near Houhai, yes. If only I could find some other things of Dutch derivation for smoking on those rentable boats in Houhai.

    This could be a thing.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc