Discussion » Food & Drink » Need ideas about where to eat! Thanks

• Snow Wang
    Snow Wang wrote:
    <p>Hey I'm from Beijing and this summer I'm taking an American friend back home for a short trip. It will be only 10 days but I'm worried about if he can adjust to the local food - the oily, spicy authentic Chinese.</p> <p>So everyone... please don't hesitate to offer your good ideas about where to go for good and easily acceptable Chinese food!! I know there has to be a lot....Thanks!!</p>
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

McDonalds :-)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... you should ask your "friend" ... vegetarian? religion reason? diet dur to health?

• Snow Wang
    Snow Wang wrote:

Thansk but only if they have beijing duck burger... Btw the guy is totally into Wholefoods... He has zero knowledge of China or the culture but people keep telling him how good the real Chinese food can be after they hear about the trip..

pressure pressure!

• Snow Wang
    Snow Wang wrote:

He has no issue with allergy as far as he's concerned. So that's the good thing. Basically he can eat everything. I'm just saying I'm worried about that the oil and also the different spices we use could give him a hardtime adjusting or make him uncomfortable..

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... My suggestion, as I have a southern origin, is to go easy on duck and BBQ, mainly stick with the Cantonese food ...

Where will you take them sightseeing?

• Snow Wang
    Snow Wang wrote:

Thanks Cantonese is a good idea. For sightseeing I don't know yet but some must-goes for sure like great walls forbidden city etc etc

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Feed him kungpo chicken and roast duck. Also 鱼香肉丝,西红柿炒鸡蛋,拉面,炒面 etc.. but especially kungpo chicken... everyone knows foreigners love kungpo chicken.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... simple things among Beijing cuisine are 炸酱面, 春饼, which are often not too oily ...snacks such as 冰糖葫芦 should be OK ... you will find these at most places ...

If they have issue with spice, things like 羊蝎子 or 新疆, should be missed ...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Bellagio (鹿港小镇) is good for laowai. Also 花家怡园.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Calvin, I was going to say that you can do better, but then I realize what kind of person you are ... so, dont worry about doing better, ok?

Snow, Pomy is one of our "honorary food critics", but this time, he forgot to mention that 鹿港小镇 is Taiwanese style ... however, I dont agree with 花家怡园, as its menu still lean more towards the hot and spicy side ...

Others for consideration is 金鼎轩, which has a seperate menu for Cantonese, and it is NOT too expensive ... there is also a 避风塘 in Wang Jing, if you happen to live over there, and it is a fusion of Shanghai and Hong Kong ... oh, also 金湖, they are mainly around Beijing CBD area ...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Pomy is one of our "honorary food critics", but this time, he forgot to mention that 鹿港小镇 is Taiwanese style ...

The 三杯鸡 is a Taiwanese dish but a lot of their dishes such as 海南鸡饭, 担担面, 港式奶茶 are not. They even have Japanese food there.

I've taken guests to the 四合院 branch of 花家怡园 a couple of times and I didn't see anything spicy on the menu. We had the Beijing duck with pineapple, nice beer, Australian wine and some other stuff.

http://www.dianping.com/shop/507755

金鼎轩 is a kind of 热闹 place and the dishes are small so if you don't like something... try something else!

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

For dinner and a show try

Yao Qin (瑶琴餐厅) http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/venue/Food__Drink-Chinese-Zhejiang/11160/Yao-Qin.html

The East is Red (红色经典主题餐厅) http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/venue/Food__Drink-Chinese-Chinese/14407/The-East-is-Red.html

Nanjing Impressions (南京大牌档) http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/venue/Food__Drink-Chinese-Jiangsu/15041/Nanjing-Impressions.html

Or for a messed up kind of 'show', Xinjiang Red Rose opposite Gongti.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... I am just about to finish work, and dear Edward left us in a hurry ... I need a toy ...

• Simen Wangberg

HAI DI LAO

HAI DI LAO

HAI DI LAO

HAI DI LAO

HAI DI LAO

HAI DI LAO MOTHERFUCKERS

HAI DI LAO

And a shitty chuan'r joint, just cos you NEED to

• Ajantha Manohar

Whatever you eat, dont forget order some rice, it will cut the diarrhea,

• Snow Wang
    Snow Wang wrote:

thanks everyone especially Pomeh for all the suggestions

花家怡园 is what I had in mind too. Been there once and liked their duck and the dining environment.

Yay going home in two weeks...so excited!!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.