Discussion » Nonsense » Don't be an internet troll. You could be sent to j

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    <p><a href="http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/04/dont-be-an-internet-troll-you-could-be-sent-to-jail/">link text</a></p> <p>by Graham Cluley on April 4, 2012</p> <p>FILED UNDER: Featured, Law &amp; order</p> <p>Most people who have used the internet for any length of time is able to recognise an internet troll.</p> <p>They're the people who delight in posting something inflammatory or outrageous with the intention of provoking a reaction. They often don't care if what they post is offensive or simply stupid, all they desire is to disrupt genuine conversations or upset innocent people.</p> <p>It's pretty immature behaviour - but sadly, it's all too common.</p> <p>An update to the US State of Arizona's telecommunications harrasment bill, however, could send a strong message to internet trolls that their behaviour is not going to be tolerated.</p> <p>"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."</p> <p>By replacing references to the telephone to "any electronic or digital device", the bill is now covering any communication over the internet.</p> <p>And as trolls do usually intend to annoy, harass or offend - it seems pretty clear-cut that they would be in hot water.</p> <p>With hand on heart, can you honestly say that you have ¨never¨ annoyed or offended someone via the internet? If you can, you're a better person than me.</p> <p>Naked Security seems to offend some people every single day - you should see the emails we get when we write about Mac malware for instance!</p> <p>That's pretty worrying, even though none of us live in Arizona - as the offence is deemed to have taken place either at "the place where the communications originated or at the place where the communications were received."</p> <p>If someone is found guilty under Arizona House Bill 2549, they could face a $2500 fine and up to six months in jail.</p> <p>According to Gizmodo, if you've also used your computer to stalk someone your crime bumps up to a class three misdemeanor. That's even more serious, and could see you put away for a stonking 25 years in the clink.</p> <p>The revised bill passed both of Arizona's legislative houses last week, and now awaits a stamp of approval from the state's governor.</p> <p>Don't forget, if you're being harassed online - here's our advice on how to deal with an internet troll.</p> <p>Just promise that you won't report this article as annoying to the Arizona authorities.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ...

if you've also used your computer to stalk someone your crime bumps up to a class three misdemeanor.

There is a very fine line here about what is considered "stalking" ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Arizona

Failed state. Even Texans think Arizona's immigration laws are backwards and racist. They gave us John McCain and Barry Goldwater. And I think Pete McBrostein received his education there. Yeah. Fuck Arizona.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

lol. Beardy Weirdy sees his primary interest under threat.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

One can only imagine that sametroll indulges in his primary interest thusly:

alt text

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

@ Beardy Weirdy - only you can imagine such horrors. Weird beards are a dead turn off for me...however that thing that looked like a mushy hole in your skull was somewhat appealing.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Pete, Although my alma mater is among the foremost party schools in Ye Olde Rusty Mitt, I'd prefer to say that I received my education from the Internet. But what I really hate about Arizona's education system is not that they gave you a piece of paper, but that they allow the University of Phoenix to continue to exist.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I received my education from the Internet

oh.... this isnt fun anymore...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

implying the weekly routine of rhetorically curb-stomping sametroll was ever recreational rather than part of a somber duty of defending WLIB from the anti-lulz

I'm sorry that you're KY JELLY MAD that I'm paying more attention to Re-Pete than you, but it's because he's a good sport and doesn't hide behind a false identity. That's why he gets his own meme, and you have to struggle with the horrid truth that an imaginary Asian Tory lesbian is infinitely more interesting than you.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ...

... and you have to struggle with the horrid truth that an imaginary Asian Tory lesbian is infinitely more interesting than you

Poor Alex ... nowhere to go, except his own ... never mind ...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

because he's a good sport and doesn't hide behind a false identity.

Oh come come. Im such a good sport I didnt even mention the logical fallacy (ad hominem) in your retort to this telcoms bill update. Why is using the internet to harrass people any less serious an offence than using the telephone by the way?

Incidentally, this isnt a false identity.

Allow us both to prove a point why dont you, lets meet in RL, then I can show I am who I say I am, and the same person in my avatar photo, and that my name is in fact Alex. By doing this you get to prove youre not the square root of a pussy.

Poor Alex ... nowhere to go, except his own ... never mind ...

Not sure what you mean there peado... unless youre referring to the above.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm such a good sport I preface the idiotic shit I'm about to say by congratulating myself for not having said it previously

Technically, it's not an ad hominem, as it concerns a state and not a man. Not that it matters, as this bill is just as ridiculous as any other regional attempt to regulate the Internet. Besides, such whining would have deprived you of an opportunity to deliver a (failed) insult in your first post.

Internet tough guy wants to meet IRL

I already proved my point about your use of false identities before when I offered you a friendly wager in which you had nothing to lose other than face. You declined. Eat shit and die alone in a fire.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Not that it matters

.....quite. But....technically, it can still be referred to as "ad hominem". Plots of land can not write legislation, thus by mentioning "Arizona" you are not talking about the land itself in action, you are instead insinuating that the state of Arizona has its legislation written by humanoid creatures with little more legal prowess than a troop of chimpanzees. You may or may not be right about this, but it is still an ad hominem attack, and thus a logical fallacy: Not that it matters.

I already proved my point about your use of false identities before when I offered you a friendly wager in which you had nothing to lose other than face.

.....? Other than face....and my free time....simply in order to satisfy the whimsy of an insecure internet gnome, i mean troll. What exactly was proved by the way? Your offer was to "stop posting" on wlib for a month if I "proved" i wasnt who you thought i was. You see, I had another offer that weekend: to have sex with numerous beautiful women. Now....as tempting as your proposition was, it didnt best other offers.

Now then - let me understand this correctly....you assert your "point" was proved by me NOT wasting my weekend jumping through some of your arbitrary hoops to prove that I WASNT who you said I was? Lol... you poor cretin - the onus is not on me to prove that I am not someone else; the onus is on you to prove that I am who you accuse me to be.

Right now I am offering you the perfect opportunity to discover the truth, and to dispel any and all "myths" that you are nothing more than a gnome sized curiosity of a human male approximation - and that you can scrape together at least one testicle's worth of courage to meet me face to face. This isnt a "tough guy" stand off, this is merely a meeting where you will be able to confirm the validity of my statements....but I suppose that for a gnome, any kind of physical meeting is intimidating.

Eat shit and die alone in a fire.

Incalculable butthurt anyone?

• Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

mmm...Im so fucking boried and I have never flagged any comment as irrelevant....

prepare yourself DD.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

oh!! I liked it, use my superpowers as lord of this thread for evil.

• Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

oh yeah!! I think Im going to apply for a job as Harmoni+zator in China or as anti-disrupter in Arizona

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ...as long as you like it ...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

喵~ 全部是黑的... O_o

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

alt text

implying that Dando has anything against those pitiful Arizonans who have had the misfortune of inhabiting a plot of land where shit is all fucked up because at least 100 years ago someone dug up all the dead Injuns, pissed on their corpses, and buried them face-down.

implying that constantly responding to accusations of samefaggotry with verbose and facile excuses is part of a strategy of saving face or free time

implying that searching for "scott skaught +coward" and exonerating one of blatant astroturfing would take a whole weekend rather than 5 minutes

implying Dando did not have IRL meetings with Worthy Fucking Adversaries such as Scooter, Conan, and The War, a surly Russian karate badass who actually posed a credible threat to this handsome face

implying jimmies are rustled

• Jenelyn Tambago

The whole idea is to stop bullying, or at least keep it in school. there has been too many cases of kids killing themselves after FB bulling cause they were nerd, gay, fat, ugly, etc... So instead of attacking the problem itself they are going around it, like it solves anything. In any case this is no law yet, and probably will have to go through some changes or else it won't only censor trolling but freedom of speech since is to general.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

First off I am from Michigan

First off, don't remind us. It's embarrassing.

picked arizona because it is sunny and has tones of babes

Don't ever change.

University of Phoenix is a for-profit diploma factory disguised as a public institution of higher learning, and their admissions officers are more akin to salesmen. They use aggressive recruitment tactics to maximize the amount of subsidies they can receive from the federal government, leaving students with a narrow job prospects and a fuckload of debt. An MBA from there ain't worth shit.

“Their business degree is an M.B.A. Lite,” said Henry M. Levin, a professor of higher education at Teachers College at Columbia University. “I’ve looked at their course materials. It’s a very low level of instruction.”

In November, the university’s reliance on part-time faculty caused a problem with Intel, hundreds of whose employees it has educated. Alan Fisher, an Intel manager, said the company had decided to pay for employees to attend only highly accredited programs. Although Phoenix is regionally accredited, it lacks approval from the most prestigious accrediting agency for business schools, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

tl;dr it's not a real university, McBro

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Newsflash, Ayiela: the Chinese government already does all that.

In other news: no need to hide your big, beautiful hands!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahahahaha ...

Oh hell, what did i just say?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

@Beardy Weirdy your jimmies are most definately rustled. I see you quivering just like that john goodman gif...except IRL you have a hideous patch of gnomish facial hair..which no doubt quivers in time with your self esteem. Perhaps you can explain why are you wearing your grandmothers spectacles in the poleroids strewn on dad's bed? Dont tell me you learned cross dressing as part of your (not) wholly envyable 'internet education'...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Dando..apparently, trolling (very seriously) in a thread about fighting against trolling, again..

The sametroll posse obviously doesn't understand the self-deprecating humor I employed in my parley with McBro--or just plain didn't read, because they're only concerned with vindication of butthurt. Seriously trolling, indeed.

I thought the States had that kind of laws against internet bullying long ago?

A few local and state jurisdictions have attempted to enact laws forbidding "cyberbullying" and other imaginary threats to Family Values and Decency, and have failed miserably because it's impossible to enforce. Or do you really think that the state of Arizona will or can subpoena citizens of other states or even other countries for harassing Arizonans?

There are no federal laws forbidding harassment online besides those that already apply to other media: slander, libel, and defamation laws apply to digital communication much the same way they do to print, broadcast and word-of-mouth. So do laws forbidding harassment and stalking. I imagine that a person who is being targeted by an individual cyberbully could get a restraining order that includes language concerning online communication.

And before DD brings it up, visiting someone's public profiles is not stalking. Nor is "poking" someone on Facebook. People who feel threatened by these activities ought to be living in hypersanitary plastic bubbles anyway.

Americans are famously litigious. Lawyers employ teams of monkeys to sniff out potential civil lawsuits. And now, mouth-breathing shitdrinkers want to introduce criminal laws forbidding certain behaviors online which aren't even criminal in real life? What's more, at the price of freedom of speech?

Of course there are those rare cases of individual harassment taking place in the same jurisdiction, usually schoolkids. Schools usually handle this the same way they would handle bullying in the schoolyard or outside of school (and yes, American schools have the authority to punish students for activities taking place outside of school property, as school authorities have legal parental authority over their wards). In Real Life the War on Bullies has been almost as successful as the War on Drugs--it's almost impossible to find either of these things in Real America anymore, right?

Seriously, now, does anyone think that preventing "cyberbullying" is anything other than a futile and Sisyphean task? I mean, it's sad when teenagers commit suicide when they can't cope with bullying, but is it really the fault of the very same medium of communication that has brought the problem to our attention in the first place?

Or maybe it's just coz i watched too many american tv series..?

alt text

implying jimmies have been rustled

I ain't even mad. Were I, I'D BE TYPING IN MOTHERFUCKING CAPSLOCK LIKE THIS AND YOU WOULD KNOW THAT SHIT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.

Oh hell, what did i just say? Please don't have me hanged, your highness. (Dando happily lives in his kingdom ever after.)

You shut your whore mouth.

Everyone knows that Anonymous is the Final Boss of the Internet, not some propagandist schmuck named Dando who can't even post to 4chan because he doesn't have a VPN and is thus confined to the Chinese Revolutionary Hinternet behind the Great Firewall.

The real boogeymen are not the 单独子儿s of the Internet, but from the collective actions of groups like Anonymous and the 人肉搜索. As the apocryphal saying goes, "None of us is as cruel as all of us." Anonymous makes the petty and vindictive sockpuppeteers of WLIB look like Mormon missionaries. Wait. Sametroll really does look like a Mormon missionary. I rest my case.

tl;dr, independently trolling for great justice

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... heehee ... 兽兽 ... go have an extra piece of chocolate at lunch ... it is Easter ... even the damnest deserve redemption :)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

it is Easter

No it's not. It's Good Friday. I'm here for the cruci-fiction.

And lo, Anonymous so loved the Chinese netizens that he sent his bastard progeny, 单独子儿, to suffer for the sins of WLI/b/. For Anonymous does not forgive, but come Caturday will forget; yet a Dando may forgiveth, but cannot forget, bong-hits notwithstanding.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahaha ... I am about to stuff myself silly with cheap chocolate ... as far as I am concerned, it is already Easter ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

Poor grandpa

Very disappointingly alike ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I said it's not Easter because Easter is the day Jesus rose from the dead to consume the flesh of the living. And it's on a Sunday, three days after the Romans stapled His bloody corpse to a ”t”. Compared to the appropriated pagan fertility festival that is Oestre, Good Friday is a somber occasion, best celebrated with a toga party, to commemorate the noble folks who freed the messiah from His fleshy prison.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Hi Skaught, Tara.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Uncle Ding Dong.

• 随便叫兽
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Dando who can't even post to 4chan because he doesn't have a VPN and is thus confined to the Chinese Revolutionary Hinternet behind the Great Firewall.

here Dando link text

Now I feel a little bit like the CIA, providing financial support to known foreign terrorist organizations... :P

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Thanks LZ but I just don't want to use ad- or malware-driven stuff and I don't have a credit card for buying a proper secure VPN service.

Pedos and terrorists use something called Tor. Good luck finding that without a pogo stick.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

didn't read lol

That's okay. I don't argue with trolls anymore. I argue though them.

If anyone else would like to discuss the follies of Internet censorship, just rattle my cage.

My shift is over.

alt text

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.