Discussion » Nonsense » Why is it so hard to find a OK foreign teacher?

• ivy-kids
    ivy-kids wrote:
    <p>Well it's like the title says,</p> <p>I've been looking far and wide for the right Foreign teacher, but so far without success. The salary offered for the position is pretty good and working hours are just the standard 25 teaching hours/week. For more specific info I guess you could check out my profile.</p> <p>So, could anyone just give me some pointers on where to search or what to do differently.</p> <p>Thanks a lot for your sincerity!</p>
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:

IVY, I can give you a marketing proposal and strategy consultancy but I cost 700RMB per hour.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

That salary is far too low, especially if the center cannot authorize Foreign Expert certification.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Moving past the salary issue (15,000rmb for 25 hours is slightly lower than what people who have lived in Beijing for more than a few months would expect, but I don't think it's as out of the ordinary as some of the other posters are suggesting), these two issues stop me replying to advertisements like this :

1. You're not doing me a favour. Advertisements in Beijing are often posted with the idea that people should be queuing up to work for you. Take your '11,000 to 15,000 depending on qualifications'. This means that any potential candidate is going to have to immediately fight to justify why they should be getting paid the top-most amount, and I can live without applying to someone who automatically thinks that I should be begging them for work and a higher salary.

2. You're not explicit You mention in your profile that there is potential for a Director of Studies role, and you also mention you have numerous centres and you have some native speaking students, but you don't give enough information on your advertisement. This is something else I generally avoid. If you need to find a teacher, then put together a proper advertisement with specific salary (with bands if you must resort to qualifications, but I'd advise against it), a clear outline of what courses you need taught (this is actually fairly important), working hours, additional benefits, location and why someone would want to work for you. If you want to get better candidates, then simply make better advertisements.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Case in point from earlier today:

Part-time job as English teacher wanted!The students are Chinese children and company stuff, with good salary!!! Send me E-mail, jackie20110418@126.com ,we have good salary for English native speakers right now~

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Calling it a no skill job is pretty stupid when even Pete should be able to remember some of his teachers being better than others. If you can have good teachers, bad teachers and all the varieties in between, surely we can concede that the factors that contribute to that variance can be collectively (if loosely) called 'skill'?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahahaha ... here comes someone who lives on the bottom of the food chain ... because, unlike what everyone thinks, I make far below rmb200 per hour ... maybe I should change job ...

Phil ... you must be new? Pete, aka Monkey is the "King of WDK", and he teaches English for free to teenage girls around WDK area, so he thinks that it is morally wrong for anyone to get paid to do something so recreational and healthy ...

Perhaps some other friendlier souls could help me out.

Ivy ... I am sorry to tell you that you are in the wrong place, at the wrong time ...

• Chai Chu
    Chai Chu wrote:

Yeah, it's like a girl whines about the difficulty finding her Mr. Right without noticing that she herself is not (yet) the Right material for any Mr. Right.

Be better, and don't just try harder, try smarter.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Where are quality control and sense of responsibility

I don't really think this is an English-teaching issue specifically but rather a more general issue related to a lot of employment in China.

I'm not normally on this side of the argument, but for the sake of an even-handed discussion:

Aside from the fact that in the private sector the correct price for a service is normally the highest one that most people are willing to pay, I think the majority of English-speaking posters here probably undervalue the status of English as a gateway skill for Chinese people. Being able to speak English is going to open up a large number of additional employment options, and I don't think it's hard to imagine why people pay large sums of money to try to get to this.

When you take the international schools into consideration, I think the issue becomes clearer: the base salary for a school like ISB is around 27,000rmb/ month. This is if you graduated, did a 1 year teaching course and then have done a bit of teaching in between. It's higher if you have a Masters, and higher still if you have a PhD (though I can't imagine many PhDs going into high-school teaching...). Now, I have plenty of friends who graduated with average degrees, got their certification and went into teaching, and would be eligible for this kind of position.

My point is that 15,000rmb a month is only a high salary if you naturally assume that the English teacher in question is terrible and teaching because they can't do anything else. This may be accurate for some but certainly not all. As the OP was wondering why they weren't getting 'good' English teachers, I think this is one of the bigger reasons.

• Micky
    Micky wrote:

Who's a good teacher and how many schools are willing to pay for a good teacher. only but a few schools here are looking for "good teacher(s)".

The market of English learning / speaking in China is now saturated with business minded folks; so the number one objective is profit--- and that's why they only hire by color not by skill.I really pity Chinese parents for this and I hope they dont regret this later in life.

Besides I do not think that 15,000rmb (aboout 2500usd) with free apartment, visa and some travelling allowances is low salary in China..... plz tell me where its low salary for a bachelor's degree holder or even in some cases high school graduate

• Chai Chu
    Chai Chu wrote:

@ Micky

The market of English learning / speaking in China is now saturated with business minded folks; so the number one objective is profit

Not just the english teaching market, but all the booming sectors of this Chinese market are kinda chaotic now. Being business-minded is cool, profit is good, nothing is wrong with this part, it's just most people don't know how to actually be business-minded and how to actually make profit. It's the popular belief in quick money that made people lost their analytical mind.

Chinese parents who throw their kids to these international schools are not very different in attitude from the owners of such schools, most of the parents want quick guarantee for their kids' future of quick money. So, it's kinda happy party for the sort.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Not just the english teaching market, but all the booming sectors of this Chinese market are kinda chaotic now. Being business-minded is cool, profit is good, nothing is wrong with this part, it's just most people don't know how to actually be business-minded and how to actually make profit. It's the popular belief in quick money that made people lost their analytical mind.

Chinese parents who throw their kids to these international schools are not very different in attitude from the owners of such schools, most of the parents want quick guarantee for their kids' future of quick money. So, it's kinda happy party for the sort.

+1

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.