Discussion » Technology » Mainland Google Docs clone

• Father Of Boring
    Father Of Boring wrote:
    <p>Managing a team of remote translators on a publication, and I'm looking for a stable doc-sharing tool. </p> <p>Google Docs, as typical of anything useful in the West, is blocked (fuck you China, fuck you, fuck you), and good luck teaching the techtarded people at the publishing office how to use a VPN. </p> <p>So I'm looking for something, anything, similar, that could be used to share documents over the cloud, rather than the emailing back and forth we have going on now. This is a major impediment, because I'm also trying to maintain a terms dictionary, and I need that updated in real-time, so I don't have to go back and tweak other translators' mistakes later. </p> <p>I'll love you forever if you can suggest something.</p>
  • Chai Chu
    Chai Chu wrote:

how about "shared doc" of QQ group?

my translation company uses it. Kinda okay.

• Father Of Boring

Never tried that, but I'm looking for online editing as well.

But, fun fact, I poked around Google Docs without my VPN today, and it looks stable. So I'll try that for a week or so and see if it doesn't proceed to suck.

• Chai Chu
    Chai Chu wrote:

haha, good luck with google!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Christ that's strange. I could've sworn it was blocked when I put the app on my 'droid.

Then again, Google+ was open and unblocked for a trial period, during which Chinese netizens spammed Barack Obama's profile until the gubbermint blocked it again, leaving Google users without access to their account profiles. Dicks.

• Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

find a stable proxy, no need for VPNs to use google doc, I'm using proxybonanza.com if you wanna know, we use google doc in our company, and it's been working very well for the last 2 years, you can give it a shot if you want

• Father Of Boring

Thank you Eric! That may be a useful thing!

• Father Of Boring

And Dando, it was fine when I tried it today. I don't know how stable it will be.

• №❶ Passioη

It seems www.wikispaces.com would be a good bet for your description. Just create a free account and send the subdomain url to your team members. for example:

http://mercurys.wikispaces.com (created as a test sometime ago)

team members will be able to join at your permission, add / edit contents individually or as a group, upload DOC, PDF, etc etc... As the group creator or Admin, You can also set whether contents are private or public. etc etc...

• №❶ Passioη

Hi @ Gullekian,

Sorry to know that.. I'm a fan of your write-ups there too. Actually China didn't specifically block your website, but everything on the same range of IP as dns1.register.com (, dns2.register.com (, DNS, etc...

Since you are on shared hosting, GFW's attempt to block someone else saying something against cpc (or competing with china) consequently blocked everything else on the same IP addresses, including your website.

There are several ways to go about this -

1 - Contact your host to move you to another server in their farm - one which is not blocked in China.

2 - Upgrade your hosting plan to a dedicated IP one.. The package is called "vps" these days

3 - move your web files and db to another host. Edit CNAME in your register.com control panel to point your domain name to other DNS (1 and 2).

I could be of tech assistance on this if you need. Good Luck!

• Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

We've been using it for more than 2 years, I can guarantee you it works, and everyone in your team can share the same account, not expensive

• №❶ Passioη

@ Gullekian hehehe.... it's funny the way you put it...

This is a similar to the system when there is a criminal residing in an apartment building, even though they know in which building he resides, so rather then catch him they tear down the whole building killing all the rest of innocent people of the building.

Everyone urges to customise, control or eliminate what affects them / everything connected to what affects them, by all means necessary... Of course the Chinese go a bit extreme on this one. But here, the numbers are abundant...

It's perhaps for the same reason (which you may only conceive subconsciously) that you will to start your own social network - even though there's already this, bjstuff, thebeijinger, beijingliar, etc etc... The numbers are abundant ;)

And yes Dikran... first time we talked about 2 years ago, I was a Software Project Manager in a Chinese Software Outsourcing company. Now, I'm an IT manager in an international organisation. Though you never noticed me in the parties, I'm sure you remember the name: Poetry Passion :)

Sure I could give you a hand - depending on the scale of assistance you require (dedicated time)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.