Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Doing business in China

• naomi1987
    naomi1987 wrote:
    <p>Connections, known as "guanxi" in Chinese, are very important when doing business in China. To establish good connections, you need to take your clients out for meals and get to know them. If you can speak a little bit of Chinese, it will definitely leave a very good impression on your Chinese partners.</p> <p>i think sometimes "guan xi" is important to people's life , like friends and family to help with each other. but if abuse the "guan xi" , it's not a good conduct.-------------so that's Everything must have a degree.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... a degree?

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

the OP's observation is rather preliminary. "Guanxi", better known as "social network and connection" plays an important role in business, as well as professional expertise, marketing and professional skills (sorry, I don't think marketing is classified as a profession, although important).

If someone simply relies on his/her existing social connection, such as parents and classmates, his/her business development will surely be rather limited. In contrast, to establish and manage a social network requires outstanding diplomacy and wisdom. To turn the social network into something profitable requires rich coordination skills and business experiences.

Social network is important for investment in any country, whether China, Central-Asia, Europe or North America. Although in developed countries, small businesses can also survive without great inputs into social network while in developing countries, it is almost impossible.

The concept here in China is changing gradually. Business is business, it is preferably to present what you can offer other than going to seedy restaurants with your business partners or clients. After all, you are all here to make money, not for the Chinese cuisine.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

sorry, I don't think marketing is classified as a profession, although important

... hahaha ...

Business is business, it is preferably to present what you can offer other than going to seedy restaurants with your business partners or clients.

... hahaha ... hahaha ...

After all, you are all here to make money, not for the Chinese cuisine.

... the most "hahaha" of them all :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

Like seriously, would you want to be friends with someone that only calls u when they are pissed off at you?

... heehee ... a very very good question ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

How is marketing not a profession?

Sure it is a broad term but some marketing research and methods can be quiet complex and powerful!

Anything can be made to sound complex and powerful through liberal usage of MBA jargon. I might wax sophisticated about my qualifications as a 4chanthropologist and troll raconteur, as I am intimately familiar with the language and culture of the world's largest English-language message board whose founder was once voted Time person of the year, but most people would quite correctly recognize me as being utterly full of shit.

Market research might be a profession, but marketing? Nah.

hurr durr marketing is real because Apple convinced me Android is preferred by the people I teased in school

alt text

WORST. TROLL. EVAR.

I used to argue in forums about the superiority of SNES over Genesis, PlayStation over N64/Saturn, and PlayStation 2 over GameCube/XBox. My opinions were vindicated by history in every case, but it was nonetheless obnoxious and emblematic of comic book nerd rage.

But please. Continue down this path, padawan, and your conversion to the dark side shall be nearly complete. One day you will look up from a MacBook in the Bridge Cafe, push the fringe out of your eyes, and look around all the other trendy and creative people eager to be noticed using their simple and elegant Apple products. And you will realize that you have become more or less exactly what you purportedly despise: a trendy hipster.

Just don't ape Windows Mobile and we're cool, McBro.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Computer programmers and database administrators (read: geeks) are professionals and I'm willing to bet they could more elegantly explain the process of collecting user data than marketing "professionals" who claim to see the big picture.

and is not just some bullshit post fake reviews on the beijinger.

What the actual fuck are you talking about?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... so it looks like "little spammy" actually has a job?

• Jonas Ekeli
    Jonas Ekeli wrote:

@叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

or at least he says he has a job,haha

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... the keyword is "says" ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.