Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Browsing and buying

• naomi1987
    naomi1987 wrote:
    <p>Shops in China open seven days a week all year round and usually from 9am to 9pm. Bargaining is expected in street markets and small privately-owned shops, but not in big department stores or shopping centres. The Chinese currency is called Renmin Bi, people's currency, and has the sign ¥. The basic unit of RMB is yuan. There are two sets of currency words - formal and informal. The formal terms are yuán, jiǎo and fēn; and the informal ones are: kuài, máo and fēn.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ...

Bargaining is expected in street markets and small privately-owned shops, but not in big department stores or shopping centres

Be surprised to find bargaining happening in some stores, and many shopping centers ..

alt text

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... you dont believe it, do you?

• Father Of Boring

Dear Mandarin Plus Marketer,

TRY HARDER. Say something interesting. Anything. Please. I don't object to marketing, really, I don't, I just wish you'd get a clue before you try, instead of doing things that make me want to drink myself into oblivion. I don't know why I read this forum without the benefit of protective headgear, but I do, and god's sake, I suffer for it. A little like Jesus.

FOB, you're being so negative, be nice! How about just a little constructive criticism?

In particular, I'd suggest you take a look at www.popupchinese.com and see how they do it. Look in the podcast section. There's one called Sinica, hosted by Kaiser Kuo, Tang Dynasty bassist, and Jeremy Goldkorn from danwei.com. Never heard of them? Huh! Who knew?

That shit right there, the Sinica Podcast? That shit is called "content marketing". And they are doing a good job. They are getting customers for their Chinese training program. Because their content is not shit. It's good, not shit. This post is shit, that is good. Because one, the shit one, tells me things I learn in the first five minutes off the plane if I haven't learned it before I come here, while the other, the good one, provides actual analysis of things that don't suck and are not the type of information that is immediately obvious to a functionally mobile child. See, it's 2012, everyone with the money or desire to afford your product has internet access, and we, y'know, use it.

Also, have you noticed how every other business ever is doing marketing on the internet? Do you have a facebook page? A twitter account? Hell, a deviantart account, a blog, go on Chinasmack and make snarky comments, anything, please, fuck's sake, just ANYTHING EVER that doesn't make it look like you're marketing a fucking brothel or shady vitamin supplements, PLEASE??!?!?!?!?! Please?

No? Ok. At least don't breed then, ok?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.