Discussion » Current Events » The Prison-Industrial Complex

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    <p>A presentation on March 13th by Corrections Corp of America touted the coming growth of the private prison business. It was geared toward potential investors and had a very bullish outlook on locking people up for profit, which is a good thing for the economy—and since we all want the economy to be good, yay, locking people up for profit!</p> <p>The presentation, in glowing tones, spoke mainly about how the private prison business is such a unique investment opportunity. You would think that this uniqueness stems from the fact that it’s, you know, locking people up in cages for money, but you’d be wrong. It’s because of almost certain growth. What industry, short of recreational drugs, can boast of almost certain growth? <strong>The U.S. has the largest number of people behind bars in the world, the presentation pointed out, so the foundation has already been laid. We even have more people locked up than China—and China is a “police state” with four times our population.</strong> Funny how that works. One out of every hundred Americans is behind bars, perhaps a fifth of them deservedly so.</p> <p>(<a href="http://www.cagle.com/2012/03/to-be-read-while-blasting-prison-song-by-system-of-a-down/">source</a>)</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

An amendment to the Criminal Procedural Law passed in the NPC recently and all the gubbermint really has to say about it to the rest of the world is that this is the first time they've added a clause "respecting human rights" to a legal document besides the Constitution.

Big fucking deal, eh?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

interesting that there would be a market for such a prison

I think that's very much on the point, thanks.

Tell us about it.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I have to question the fundamental legality of this endeavor: sorting prisoners into an institution according to ethnicity.

We still occasionally apologize to the Nips for doing that during The War.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Prehaps I gave the impression it was designed for Chinese

Perhaps you called it "a private prison designed for Chinese white collar criminals" and I am supposed to be left with some other impression besides the literal one.

One of the reasons I declined the position was because of it is illegal

Good on ya, mate, but I'm pretty sure even a private for-profit prison facility will nonetheless require some degree of public certification (i.e. a bachelor's in criminal justice at a minimum, if the requirements of state correctional facilities are any indicator) as a requisite qualification for an administrative position like "assistant warden".

Perhaps you meant to give the impression that you were offered a consulting job and you refused it because you'd be forced to interact with Chinese white collar criminals and American corrections officers on a daily basis.

You can say this without offending anyone. Go on. Try.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Well, there was some speculation - ridiculed at the time - that the proposed border fence that would separate Mexico from the rest of the US was more about keeping Americans in, than Mexicans out. Doesn't seem so far fetched now.

separate Mexico from the rest of the US

Mexico

rest of the US

implying Mexico is part of the US

I think that "speculation" was meant to ridicule the very premise of constructing a border fence that would wreck the economy by cutting off America's supply to cheap and exploitable grey-market labor.

It makes you wonder to what extent the Prison-Industrial Complex has infiltrated the judicial system too.

Here is a prominent example of the type of collusion you're talking about (as seen on Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story)

Speaking of drugs, I'm looking forward to Central and South America less politely asking their upstairs neighbor to turn down that racket. The War on Drugs, that is.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You're a good guy, @Lee. I'd probably have taken that gig for the same reasons I'd take any rent-a-cracker gig offered to me in the mainland: better me than someone else.

I would be like a left-wing version of Watchmen's Rorschach, all: "I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." Except I'd say it to the corrections officers who called me a nerd in university.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.