Discussion » Technology » Old Computer

• B H
    B H wrote:
    <p>I have an old computer and various attachments I want to ditch.</p> <p>Anyone know how I can do this while ensuring the hard drive is wiped clean?</p> <p>Thanks</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Chai Chu
    Chai Chu wrote:

Recipe: Sweet and Sour Hard Disk (咕嚕硬盘)

1/2 lb. your hard disk (smashed if possible) 1/2 green bell pepper (about 2 oz. and cut into pieces) 1/2 red bell pepper (about 2 oz. and cut into pieces) 2 stalks scallions (only the white part, cut into 2 inch length) 1 piece fresh/canned pineapple ring (cut into small pieces) 1 clove garlic (finely chopped) Oil for frying

1 teaspoon soy sauce 1/2 teaspoon corn flour 1/2 teaspoon rice wine

Frying Batter:

1/2 cup water 2 oz. all-purpose flour 1 oz. corn starch 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 egg 1 teaspoon cooking oil 1 small pinch of salt

Sweet and Sour Sauce:

1 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup 1 teaspoon plum sauce 1/8 teaspoon Chinese rice vinegar (transparent in color) 1/2 teaspoon Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce 1 teaspoon oyster sauce 1 teaspoon corn starch 1 teaspoon sugar 2 tablespoons water

Smash your hard disk into pieces and marinate with the ingredients for 15-20 minutes.

Mix the sweet and sour sauce ingredients well and set aside.

Strain the dry ingredients of the frying batter and then add in the egg, water, and cooking oil to form a thick batter.

When the disk is well-marinated, transfer the pieces into the batter and make sure they are well coated. In a deep skillet, add in the cooking oil enough for deep-frying. Once the oil is hot, deep fry the disk pieces until they turn golden brown. Dish out and drain on paper towels.

Heat up a wok and add in some cooking oil. Add in the chopped garlic and stir fry until light brown, then follow by the bell peppers and pineapple pieces. Stir fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the peppers and then add in the sweet and sour sauce. As soon as the sauce thickenens, transfer the disk pieces into the wok and stir well with the sauce. Add in the chopped scallions, do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve hot with steamed white rice.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

According to this guide, your HDD manufacturer might offer a free tool just for this purpose. I know DD is trying to help, but the reviews for that tool don't look great. And depending on your manufacturer, you might be able to do this without connecting the old drive to a second PC.

When you delete something from your hard drive, it doesn't really go away; actually, those sectors on the disk are flagged within the file system as "okay to overwrite".

Only by actually overwriting all that data with zeroes can you physically remove the data.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... just put a virus on it ... but I suggest tesing it first ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Formatting the drive with a different filesystem or corrupting the filesystem with a virus aren't a guarantee that someone can't recover what's left. You actually have to change all those zeros and ones to just zeros.

BTW, @Caterina, I got that Hitachi USB-HDD to work with my Linsucks machine by formatting it with the router. Only then could I mount it with Fedora. I'm still too newb at DD-WRT to fully implement the NAS for Windows Share (or even get my old PPPoE settings to work; it's now daisy-chained to the old router), but I'm learning, albeit slowly, how to manipulate the filesystem with SSH.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

What we're talking about is how to annihilate all data on a hard drive so that it cannot be recovered by any means.

Because the OP is a spy. Or something. Shhh. This thread is TOP SECRET.

Nobody has a virus, from what I understand. @Uncle DD (perhaps jokingly) suggested using a virus. I said that would not work, just like changing to a different filesystem (or operating system) would not wipe the hard disk clean. Someone could still use advanced data recovery tools on any sector of the drive that was not overwritten by new data after the format (or OS change). Gotta write zeros to the whole disk, yo.

BTW Linux uber alles

• Simen Wangberg

Chai Chu's method sounds more fun.

Can't you just jam it up with a bunch of magnets or something? Jam and jam until there's nothing left of that hard drive to jam! Jam it up. With magnets. How the fuck do they work.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... no, I think I watched it in season 5 of Chuck ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

...I hate you all.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I cannot find the episodes after ep07 ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.