Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Chinese names for foreigners, foreign names for Ch

• joe
    joe wrote:

I refuse to adopt a Chinese name, because I am not Chinese.

When I meet a Chinese person, I ask for their Chinese name. An Asian face going by the name of "Johnny" or "Bernadette" just doesn't make sense to me. They tell me they take on an "English" name, under the assumption that I'll have trouble pronouncing and/or remember their original Chinese name. But I like originality!

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

"An Asian face going by the name of "Johnny" or "Bernadette" just doesn't make sense to me."

Wow, that's really offensive. I'm surprised there are still people like you in this world.

• Chai Chu
    Chai Chu wrote:

go ask the foreign english teachers why chinese got english names.

• Saint - Spartacus

it could be a direct translation

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Of course, FIRST, you have to earn the right to have a chinese name, they have to give you one. We are social beings, we are ritual creatures. "Baptism" is cool (even using beer)

• Patrick Coleman

my name was change to wheat michael - may ker

funny im edible

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I dont have quite the same issue, although, I hate being "renamed" for convenience when my Chinese name was spelt using pinyin instead ...

• Patrick Coleman

i know a victoria as well, but there isnt a chinese chick with the name of amidala.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

An Asian face going by the name of "Johnny" or "Bernadette" just doesn't make sense to me.

alt text

Watashi wa "Johnny."

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.