Discussion » All non BJ languages » Interesting language facts

• Lao Lee
    Lao Lee wrote:
    <p>The phrase 'rule of thumb' is derived from and old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.</p> <p>Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."</p> <p>The word "clitoris" comes from the Greek word meaning "side of a hill".</p> <p>The word 'News' is actually an acronym standing for the 4 cardinal compass points - North, East, West, and South!</p> <p>The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.</p> <p>The Chinese ideogram for 'trouble' depicts two women living under one roof.</p> <p>More people in China speak English than in the United States.</p> <p>According to Illinois state law, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is "American."</p> <p><em>I was bored.... Please add should you be similarly bored.</em></p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

That "rule of thumb" bit is a total myth and you should go gargle some 12 gauge mouthwash for this sordid assortment of half-truths.

The Chinese ideogram for 'trouble' depicts two women living under one roof.

From The Straight Dope forums:

The character people are thinking of is the very uncommon one 奻 (nuán). There's no roof, but they are together and the meaning is "quarrel, quarreling, foolishness, foolish, etc..." It's by no means the common Chinese word for trouble (烦, 问题, 等等...), but it's not non-existent either.

Speaking of dope, I thought maybe you were thinking of the 麻 in 麻烦, which is an ideogram depicting the drying of cannabis (大麻) flowers for use in Chinese traditional medicine. True story!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

passive aggressive

alt text

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"Chinese sides vagina", so I really had to check.

At first glance I thought you were checking vaginas.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Foreigners carry handkerchiefs, London is foggy...

• Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.