Discussion » Nonsense » Apple Vs. Proview

• Jeff Dahmer
    Jeff Dahmer wrote:
    <p>For all you Apple users, it looks like the company has some issues here.</p> <p>Electrics company Proview has filed awhile ago on trademark infringements. This is good because I hate Apple and although they have decent hardware, I never could jump on the bandwagon and go Apple. </p> <p>It's a good example of how IP in China is growing. Which is good for my business!!.</p> <p>I wonder when Proview actually received a trademark for iPad. I doubt there is much for them to claim because it seems they are just looking for a payoff.</p> <p>IP rules.</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

alt text

How the actual fuck do you think this is a vindication of IP law? Is this promoting creativity or protecting artists? No. It's a shakedown over a trifling trademark technicality, at best.

I wanna see Apple getting trolled as much as the next guy, but this is bullshit. It strains credulity for Apple to have bought the rights to market the iPad only outside of China--otherwise, why would Apple have paid off Proview in the first place?

Mainland China does not constitute a major retail market for Apple products and the few stores they've established here are just big expensive advertisements for something that most 腐二代 brats want so badly that it doesn't make a difference whether the nearest authorized retailer is in Beijing, Shanghai, or Hong Kong.

This punitive approach to IP law discourages foreign companies from marketing their products in China. Why bother playing ball with the Chinese Government and following their rules if their laws only serve to protect Chinese corporate extortion?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Pete, That pseudostatistic possesses the slightest hint of truthiness only because CHINA SO MANY PEOPLE.

Chinese people are Apple's biggest market. China is not.

What you said could only possibly be true of the iPhone, because Chinese people are cybernetic organisms who are to varying degrees biologically fused to their handheld device-symbiotes. Everything else Apple makes? Not so much. Hey: Let's talk about their app market, as if nobody jailbreak-hacks their grey market imported phone for free. Or: Step a few kilometers away from Wudaokou for once in your life, and march over to that electronics market in Zhongguancun. There are tons of dudes there who will casually hack your PS(nogaemz)3 or your X-Bawks, practically for free as long as you're buying something from them.

It's a hostile environment for Apple on the software level. But holy fuck are Chinese folks crazy about Apple hardware.

The current trademark lawsuit is worth several times Apple's profits on iPad sales in the Chinese mainland. Why? 'Cuz Chinese people who have enough money to buy a device are (Jesus God Buddha Mammon Ron Jeremy willing) shrewd enough to get it without paying the pound-me-in-the-ass import tariffs. It's not really China that's the biggest market for Apple, whose revenues are coming from whatever countries the "smugglers" are buying them.

tl;dr That there's some mental floss to clean out the cavity between your ears, chucklefuck.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.