Discussion » Nonsense » Legalize prostitution could be a solution ...?

  • Master Panda
    Master Panda wrote:

    In my country prostitution is illegal, but the law doesn't directly punish as criminals the prostitutes or their clients. The law punish only people that in different way exploit the prostitute or help her in doing that job. Nowadays, several municipalities introduce administrative regulation that fine client who have sex in public places with prostitute or talk with them to bargain a performance... Well... those provisions are not working very well... and what is very bad is that in this way many women are in slavery in the hand of a few bands.... I often think that maybe legalizing prostitution is a way to curb this phenomenon and fight against human slavery... But on the other side I think the keep her illegal could be good and maybe governments should fight prostitutions more hardly... maybe making some social campaigns... This is just a thought and I know a decision about legalization it is very difficult, cause involve serval aspects of society and public order that maybe I'm not considering.

    What do you think about this?

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    Like drugs, prostitutiuon should clealy be legalized.

    I actually do a fair bit of prostitution, to bring in extra cash; I like the fact it is illegal- makes me feel edgy...

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:


    anyone can get their hands on drugs already, often highly impure ones that no-one has a fucking clue what is in them.

    The whole 'War on Drugs' is a giant experiment doomed to failure, just as prohibition in America was doomed to failure.

    The whole system ought to be medicalized.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    Legalize prostitution makes me feel that is give up the goal of build a fair society. All those pragmatic arguments about the benefits....I feel is accept that in order to make civilized life possible for the majority, we need doom a minority to be unseen faceless non-people...

    How many women can say that they were free to choose be prostitutes? They were forced by the circumstances. If life is like a game of cards, they had a bad hand to play... open the legs or die starved...

    If you see prostitution like an illness, legalized is a treatment, not a cure for the problem.

    Fiat iustitia, et pereat mundus

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    I do take your point A豆腐, but I don't think legalizing prostitution means you have quit trying to create good life chances for people. I don't see that you neccessarily have to view it as giving up on people.

    And seeing as we have a few Italians in this thread, good news, it seems your youths are reviving that ancient and beautiful art: Having sex in cars, hurrah...


  • Father Of Boring

    Legalize prostitution, and then legalize guns, only for prostitutes.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Prostitution is already legal. It has always been morally acceptable for people to enter into short-term social contracts exchanging sexual favors for other sorts, or even material rewards. The keeping of mistresses is so heavily institutionalized that it blurs the line between prostitution and "legally earned" sexual favors.

    If we were really serious about enforcing conventional public morality, adultery would be illegal, as that is the real problem from a moral standpoint. I think public health and welfare are more important than morality, however, and legally regulating prostitution would help to control the spread of STDs and would eliminate the economic incentives for human trafficking.

    Prostitution victimizes women, but only because it is illegal. Because the work they do is illegal, prostitutes are forced to associate with even less savory elements of organized crime for protection, banking, housing, and so on, but the price they pay is servitude to pimps and agencies. Legalizing prostitution won't free every crack-addicted streetwalker overnight, but it will provide them with a better way out of that lifestyle.

    Similarly, legalizing drugs would make it easier for addicts to obtain medical treatment, rather than trying to hide their habits from friends, family, and colleagues.


    drugs should under no circumstances be legalized~ think about what legalization means: any one could get their hands on it. including people with less enlightened intentions. not a good idea.

    Drugs are sooo hard to obtain now that they're illegal.


    Ron Paul! Just kidding.


    Secret Garden:

    Treating prostitution as an illness and thinking its legalization will be the treatment of an illness…. Oh, I never thought about it this way. For me is simple social service. It is interesting in how many ways this activity has been seen though, like once upon a time in various places was considered as sacred and done in the temples, which I think it’s a great thing, that really connects body and spirit:)

    Nailed it. This is why prostitution is referred to as the world's oldest profession.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    If we were really serious about enforcing conventional public morality, adultery would be illegal, as that is the real problem from a moral standpoint.

    just I feel that considering adultery as illegal it is a kind of provocation.

    Guilty as charged; outlawing adultery is absurd. I was aiming to provoke this kind of response:

    morality and legality must be taken on 2 different grounds.

    Because it's considerably less persuasive when it's said by someone as reputedly amoral as myself.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Not really, but I play one on the Internet.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.


WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc