Discussion » Nonsense » SOPA...threat to the freedom of the Internet.

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:
    <p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOPA</p> <p>I am concerned.</p> <p>Discuss.</p>
  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    it has all kinds of problems...it can basically shut down sites without even having a need to state a case, the public isnt even going to be aware of that until its too late.the law is stated so broad and with lots of holes in it . it opens a big can of worms. the worst thing i fear is that most websites will offer private content that needs to be bought to be seen, like a porn website just on an enourmous scale. american host sites will transfer their domains in foreign countries which then will cripple the stability of the internet, small community website, hosting services, blogs will cease to exist because they will get shut down eventually and remember if the us is starting that, other countries will eventually follow suit and thats when things get really ugly.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I'm not worried. SOPA will never pass. Its fate was sealed when Wikipedophiles started bullying GoDaddy.

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    its not up to wikipedia. its great that they do it and alot of companies oppose it but at the end of the day it depends on the congress. if its gonna pass it will change the course of human history dramatically...

    IF it happens we need to get ready for a major shit storm coming our way. the problem is that people will eventually except it and that future generations might not even remember that the internet was once free and thus have no qualms about it.

    this is the scariest part of it.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    The market always adjusts itself

    Reification for the fail. The collective actions of people adjust markets. Stop treating economics as a natural science just because you looked at books with numbers while you were in college, kiddo.

    PC gaming might not be profitable, but thanks to some enterprising folks who don't give a fuck about the US' draconian intellectual property regulations, there is a wealth of classic games because people were kind enough to produce emulators for old systems. For free. And then there's homebrew.

    Do you think these guys received funding from some nefarious villain who wanted to destroy the industry, or do you think they wrote all that code for free because they wanted to create an alternative to a gaming industry that is quickly becoming as stale as Hollywood because of its blind pursuit of profits?

    Pirates and hackers have contributed more to my enjoyment of videogames than EA's legal department.

  • Simen Wangberg

    "The market always adjusts itself, if PC gamers do not like buying games and pirate and then complain with their whiney sense of elitism and privilege then they will simply get less games made for them and unfinished junk. And then they will whine "why is no one making games for the PC anymore", and the development studious will say : B/C you suck ass. "

    True. Kind of like how nobody made decent music until the music industry existed. Also, fuck indie game developers, they ARE NOT REAL AND DO NOT EXIST OH WAIT YES THEY DO.

    You're on point today, Pete. ON POINT.

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    单独子儿 (随便叫兽) you are the fucking man!

    I happily concur with your latest statement. have been playing games since 1986 and lots of it was actually pirated.

    the video game industry and music industry make enough money of the consumer i do not agree with the statement that we all should stand in line and follow the market blindly and listen to the justifications of big companies why their products cost suddenly more then they used because piracy destroyed the market...

    look at the revenue for companies such as ea games, compare it to the 80s when they were still called electronic arts offically. now a billion dollar company, their shit always got pirated back then as now and still they made so much profit in a span of 20+ years.

    being greedy doesnt justify the means.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Team Fortress started as a homebrew Half-Life mod. Now it's one of the more popular multiplayer games on Steam.

    I quit PC gaming a long time ago because I couldn't afford to maintain a proper PC for gaming, but when I was a PC gamer, it was the possibility of modding, hacking, and customizing my game experience that kept me interested. And that was only possible because game developers didn't impose so many restrictions on how their customers might use their product.

    ISPs should follow the same laissez faire approach that has benefited the virtual economy of the Internet in ways that the same approach has utterly failed to benefit the real economy.

    U MAD, crapitalists?

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    yep, i mean i give you an example of how devious software companies ahve become.

    the new rich racer on ps vita only comes with three courses, the rest most be bought seperately... this outrageous and anyone who buys this game should be beaten with a stick.

    fuck namco for that big time. i am gonna pass of street fighter vs tekken. sucks for me maybe but i dont support this business strategy at all.

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    yes video games became so eloborate over the last 20 years they cost alot in developemen but please look at the figures for major gaming companies. they are GAINING profits. not losing.

    they still make a killing regardless if they squeeze out every nickel or not.

    the differenece is being reasonable or flat out greedy.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    fact of the matter good games take huge teams of 100 + personnel, writers, artists, programmers, designers etc. etc.

    And not 1000+ in administrative and legal teams.

    I am also against SOPA and Mods are great but there is no way in hell Good games could be made by just one mans heart and sole.

    Open source geeks and homebrew developers only look and smell like they work alone. In reality, they produce as a collaborative community. Read the credits on even the simplest of homebrew games and you'll see that there are many people involved in the process.

    Games today would look better and play better if designers didn't have to reinvent the wheel every time they build a new graphics engine. We would have had games better than Gears of War if there weren't so many legal issues preventing game developers from pilfering good code from one another.

    PROTIP: All art is derivative.

    If I was given a choice of stop gaming or only playing Indy games, I would quit all together.

    And nothing of value would be lost. Fucking casuals jacking off on their fantasy football rosters have ruined gaming by patronizing giants like EA. Mobile game developers who think they deserve to get paid for porting Pong and Pac Man to your iPhone will drive the final nail in the coffin.

    Fuck you so much. Go to hell. Die alone, in a fire, etc.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Remember the Game Genie for original NES? Seemed like such groundbreaking technology at the time.

    I remember Nintendo suing Galoob because of it. Relevant!

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    yep.

    reinventing the wheel everytime has been hurting the industry for a while now. the only really good game commercial game i thoroughly enjoyed over the last few monts was the new batman game.

    they should stick to their guns and work on gameplay first. graphics should always be a bonus and not game defining, that is actually what costs so much and eats up valuable time for programmers and designers a like. building a new engine for every damn game thats coming out and not improving on gameplay. its like a chinese cake, looks nice but only taste likes sugar, totally bland.

    lets hope the new unreal engine changes that and actually becomes a feasible tool for developers from all wakes in the industry be it independent or big game companies. 100k for the engine is enough.

  • Simen Wangberg

    "yes video games became so eloborate over the last 20 years they cost alot in developemen but please look at the figures for major gaming companies. they are GAINING profits. not losing. they still make a killing regardless if they squeeze out every nickel or not. the differenece is being reasonable or flat out greedy."

    The amount of money that gaming companies charge for their games is somewhat excessive, but it isn't really that bad. Making significant profits isn't a reason to attack gaming companies, I don't think - because then you are ATTACKING SUCCESS.

    No, the bigger beef is that a lot of the stuff they turn out is crap, and the price for that crap is inflated by the "100+" people that Pete is going on about.

    I'm gonna drop another music industry comparison again - it does take a small army of people to produce an album by someone like Lady Gaga. Is it good? Maybe. Maybe not. But they use that small army of people to gouge others (artists and consumers alike) in terms of pricing.

    Sorry Pete, it doesn't take "100+" people to make a good game. It does take 100+ people to make a game that lots of people will spend money on. Good for them! Good for those people. I also think you're underestimating/misjudging the indie game demographic - I guess there really are millions of 30-year-old Atari enthusiasts, huh? No other way to explain their meteoric popularity in recent years.

    Nope, just lots of old dudes. You heard it from Pete, folks.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Remember the Game Genie for original NES? Seemed like such groundbreaking technology at the time.

    I remember Nintendo suing Galoob because of it. Relevant!

    If you can't identify sarcastic intended irrelevancy to make a point by now, well... shit, there's nothing relevant I can say about that.

    Then I shall proceed.

    Nintendo sued the company that created the Game Genie because they wanted to exert control over the way in which its customers used its hardware. That is, preventing third parties from developing add-ons without paying them a fee. This runs counter to the free/open software ethic that has benefited the computing and gaming industries in ways that profitability cannot.

    Likewise, now we've got recording and film companies who make a mockery of IP laws and deny consumers their Fair Use rights to reproduce purchased content. SOPA is just their latest effort to try and get the ISPs on their side.

    They will fail, because without porn and piracy, there would BE NO MODERN INTERNET and none of this other Shit We Like.

    Please continue demonstrating your pseudo-expertise at homebrews, gaming, programming and whatnot.

    And please keep being accidentally relevant. As is the case with psychopharmacology, this would have to be one of those disciplines where pedantry is seldom rewarded. I need folks like Bro to say retarded shit to give me an excuse to get on the soapbox.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Scooter, Eh, fuck it. I'll just suck off the fags who agree with me.

    I'm gonna drop another music industry comparison again - it does take a small army of people to produce an album by someone like Lady Gaga. Is it good? Maybe. Maybe not. But they use that small army of people to gouge others (artists and consumers alike) in terms of pricing.

    Wish you didn't say such a thing of Lady Gaga, because I lurve her even though she doesn't have a penis, but the music industry comparison is all too apt.

    Did fucking cassette tapes ruin the music industry? Did fucking VHS ruin the film industry? Will the Internet ruin the music/film/game industries? Will Re-Pete ruin lolicunt? Only time will tell, but in the meantime let's stop kidding ourselves that copying = theft.

    they should stick to their guns and work on gameplay first. graphics should always be a bonus and not game defining, that is actually what costs so much and eats up valuable time for programmers and designers a like. building a new engine for every damn game thats coming out and not improving on gameplay. its like a chinese cake, looks nice but only taste likes sugar, totally bland.

    QFT, emphasis added because the cake is always a lie.

    lets hope the new unreal engine changes that and actually becomes a feasible tool for developers from all wakes in the industry be it independent or big game companies. 100k for the engine is enough.

    UT was probably the last FPS I played seriously and much of the reason I was so nonplussed by the console FPS craze brought about by Goldeneye and later Halo. I hope the new engine is as open for modding as the old one.

    "You mean you have to pay for mappacks as DLC? Haha! CASUALS!"

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    there were more games then just mario clones. have you ever played speedball 1+2?arkanoid, loom, secret of moneky island 2? populous?

    besides shinobi still rocks so shut it!

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Dude do you remember old games? Their gameplay sucked!

    0/10

    and gameplay has been evolving, there is more changes this generation than there was in the past, gameplay is

    [citation needed]

    more fluid fun

    STOP. NOW. No one wants to hear about your bug-catching experiences.

    You are remembering games through rose tinted glasses, you are no different then an old chinese guy talking about how much better it was in the 1960's.

    Get off my lawn.

    Gameplay is way way way better than it used to be, my only gripe is the linear nature games have now.But besides that games continue to innovate more and more.

    Non-linearity is what's supposed to have improved during the last generation of games with the advent of the sandbox concept (i.e. Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, and various western RPGs that I never played because I am a weeaboo faggot).

    That your favorite game companies continue to shit this up even in 2012 is testament to how little you actually know about the artform. Fucking philistine.

    I am glad we are past the days of mario, and mega man clones those games were AWFUL.

    Say what you will about Mega Man clones (Capcom gets away with cloning because it's profitable and fanboys will pay for incremental adjustments to tournament fighting games), but if you think each installment of the Mario series was only an incremental evolutionary advance over the previous rather than a complete re-imagining of the action-platformer genre, then you know as much about gaming as you do about The Game.

    ...which we all just lost.

    tl;dr, go play Madden, FUCKING CASUALS!

    Can we get back to SOPA and how porn and piracy provided the impetus for modern broadband Internet?

  • Peter S 李贝勒

    @ Mr. J Aka Da True Nightstalka

    Thank for the discuss.

    Protect the intellectuel property sounds normal to me...

    U did it, u own it! then, the artists, the authors, decide to give for free or not their creations. If u use something without the consent of the artist it's like... Imagine, u walk quietly a sunday afternnoon with Ur girlfriend in a park. The sun shine and the weather is sweet. A guy appear suddenly from behind a tree and fuck ur girlfriend without asking u... And u cannot do something ( maybe masturbate if u sick enough). He should at least asked if he can or If he has to pay for it ( it's a bite misogynous example but... ;-)

    About the music area that i know.

    Since internet the records companies and the artists feel something hard in their asses. They sell less and less CD. The artists incomes decreased a lot... the big stars always find the way with tv etcetc to get money, but all the medium and humble artists needed this money to live and create. So for sure i'd like that the controls and law about "intellectuel property" more strict...

    now, if the SOPA is an excuse to limit the freedom of speech, or to control what people, i say "fuck off and die"

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    hitman absolution for example....looks absolutely badass(pun intended)

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Support for Web Bill Wanes as Protests Spread

    In Fight Over Piracy Bills, New Economy Rises Against Old

    When the powerful world of Old Media mobilized to win passage of an online antipiracy bill, it marshaled the reliable giants of K Street — the United States Chamber of Commerce, the Recording Industry Association of America, and of course, the motion picture lobby, with its new chairman, former Senator Christopher J. Dodd, the Connecticut Democrat and an insider’s insider.

    Yet on Wednesday this formidable Old Guard was forced to make way for the new as Web powerhouses backed by Internet activists rallied opposition to the legislation through Internet blackouts and cascading criticism, sending an unmistakable message to lawmakers grappling with new media issues: Don’t mess with the Internet.

    Source: New York Times

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    MPAA: SOPA, PIPA Blackouts Are 'Abuse of Power'

    Web sites from Wikipedia to Reddit are dark today in protest of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA), but bill supporters insist the effort is nothing but a publicity stunt and an abuse of power.

    In a Tuesday statement, Chris Dodd, chairman and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA)—and a former Connecticut senator—said Web sites participating in the blackout are "resorting to stunts that punish their users or turn them into their corporate pawns, rather than coming to the table to find solutions to a problem that all now seem to agree is very real and damaging."

    ...

    "It is an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on [these sites] for information and use their services," Dodd wrote. "It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today."

    Source: PC Magazine

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    i just laugh at the last line, especially when that guy would like to slap a price on anything online...

    what the motherfucker doesnt understand, all the websites ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Simen Wangberg

    "Protect the intellectuel property sounds normal to me... U did it, u own it! then, the artists, the authors, decide to give for free or not their creations. If u use something without the consent of the artist it's like... Imagine, u walk quietly a sunday afternnoon with Ur girlfriend in a park. The sun shine and the weather is sweet. A guy appear suddenly from behind a tree and fuck ur girlfriend without asking u... And u cannot do something ( maybe masturbate if u sick enough). He should at least asked if he can or If he has to pay for it ( it's a bite misogynous example but... ;-) About the music area that i know. Since internet the records companies and the artists feel something hard in their asses. They sell less and less CD. The artists incomes decreased a lot... the big stars always find the way with tv etcetc to get money, but all the medium and humble artists needed this money to live and create. So for sure i'd like that the controls and law about "intellectuel property" more strict..."

    You're right. Downloading music IS like raping someone's girlfriend! How didn't I see the error of my ways before?? It's like ELECTRONIC PIRATE RAPE.

    YOU WOULDNT DOWNLOAD A BEAR.

    Come on. Mid- and low-level musicians make a livable income from album sales? You really do like the 1970s, don't you? Cos that's the last time that ever happened.

    Bands make money from merch and touring, never will that change. Maybe it's different in France or whatever, but in the States, no one's ever made any real money off of record sales - except major record labels, and we've seen how well that business model has worked out for them over the last ten years or so.

  • Peter S 李贝勒

    Hi 袜子

    Find the "mazart study" i didn't look for an english version but if u can find it, it's clear and help to have a vision of the music market and his evolution from the 80's to now a day... Then the purpose of touring was to promote an album... Why? Because u did money with the records sells and the authors rights, and as u said the merch. Very often u didn't do so much $$$ with these gigs and sometimes u even have no salary... To earn real money u have to play in a stadium or at least in a big concert hall but it's not everybody who do it... About the money u do with albums it s really depend of the case and the kind of contract u sign. We do the difference between the authors,(lyrics) the composer (music) and the interpret ( who play the music on the record). The rest of the cake is shared between the production the edition and the distribution... The best way to fill ur purse is to be author, composer, interpret and producer...

    Give u a standard example for a cd if u are /author/composer/interprert/ and u have 50% of the production.

    For a cd sell 13 euros(16.70$) u do 3.40€ (4.38$) if u sell 10 000 of records who was not so hard to do before 2000/2001 it represents 43 800usd. I can tell u that with 34 000 euros more at the end of the year i even can stop to work one year. But most of the time u invest in the next album. So now without the record u lose a lot... And the market change gigs are less paid because a lot of people do gigs for nothings to just perform and having the hope to become famous and rich. ;-)

    Don't sell these CD is doing a big hole in ur pocket. And actually internet is not making up for this miss...

    Oh and about my rape example it's just a metaphor and a bullshitt to let people think about what they do. Intellectuel property have to be respect and people have to have an ethic about it. U don't have the right to use what is not urs it's not correct and it's stealing. In china about this there s no culture or respect we re in the country of bad copies. Even when u listen the chinese pop they are completly unscrupulous, u have many copies of western "hit" that they cook in a chinese way...

    Fuck them, fuck again the SOPA if it's against the freedom of speech.

  • Peter S 李贝勒

    @ Mr. J Aka Da True Nightstalka

    U wrote:

    "i just laugh at the last line, especially when that guy would like to slap a price on anything online...

    what the motherfucker doesnt understand, all the websites ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

    But it's not really free cause everymonth u have to pay an acces to internet to china mobile or whatever companies. Maybe The easiest way is to add 5 or 10% on this "internet acces fee" and to Redistribute it to authors/artists...

    Or in each produce sell on internet u can have a special tax?

    What do u think?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    阿姨恶啦:

    The Pirate Bay took on Microsoft, Software Suppliers, Games and Movies by given free software, Movies etc.

    You're fucking retarded. Shut up now. Shut the fuck up. Never touch a keyboard again. You're a goddamned drooling mouth-breathing dipshit and you should die alone in a fire.

    The Pirate Bay never gave software away. They provided a platform for people to connect to each other and share content; part of what makes BitTorrent traffic difficult to regulate is that except for tracker sites like Pirate Bay, all potentially infringing activity is peer-to-peer.

    I don't remember under which legal tort they finally prosecuted the Pirate Pay guys, but authorities have not been able to shut down any of the myriad other public and private torrent tracker sites. Hence the new (failed) legislation, which will publish even people who merely link to copyright-infringing sites.

    [Software I downloaded from The Pirate Bay is full of viruses]

    You're a total SB for downloading bogus executable files from a public torrent tracker. The RIAA and MPAA have been polluting public trackers with fake and often malicious content for years. It's no secret.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    For a cd sell 13 euros(16.70$) u do 3.40€ (4.38$) if u sell 10 000 of records who was not so hard to do before 2000/2001 it represents 43 800usd. I can tell u that with 34 000 euros more at the end of the year i even can stop to work one year.

    No recording artist ever sees more than a few cents for every album sold; the vast majority of revenues is kept by the record companies. Are you sure you're a musician?

    Oh and about my rape example it's just a metaphor and a bullshitt

    No kidding.

    to let people think about what they do.

    You need to think a little more about what you are writing before you claim to be helping people think about what they are doing.

    Intellectuel property have to be respect and people have to have an ethic about it.

    U don't have the right to use what is not urs it's not correct and it's stealing.

    If I make a second copy of a movie or song, that is and always has been considered Fair Use. What I do with that copy afterwards might be illegal, but distributing it isn't stealing unless I'm actually re-selling and thus profiting from it. Neither the pirate distributor nor the pirate consumer are actually stealing; 袜子's tacit point, for the non-fucktarded people in the audience, is that the anti-piracy lobby's "theft" analogy is every bit as illegitimate as your "rape" analogy.

    Even the worst of pirates never profit from distributing copyright materials themselves. TPB was supported by ad revenue.

    In china about this there s no culture or respect we re in the country of bad copies. Even when u listen the chinese pop they are completly unscrupulous, u have many copies of western "hit" that they cook in a chinese way...

    We've heard your cultural analysis of China before when you said that Chinese people were culturally retarded because they were too busy starving during the 60s and 70s to listen to your favorite music. STFU and GTFO, TMD洋鬼子.

    But it's not really free cause everymonth u have to pay an acces to internet to china mobile or whatever companies. Maybe The easiest way is to add 5 or 10% on this "internet acces fee" and to Redistribute it to authors/artists... Or in each produce sell on internet u can have a special tax? What do u think?

    I really think you need to stop posting. Do you really think China Unicom is going to disperse this new tax revenue to all the artists in developed countries? Do ya? Do ya really? Do you ride a unicorn to work?

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:

    i want a unicorn :(

  • Peter S 李贝勒

    @ emmerdeur

    In france we already have a tax on blank dvd/cd/mp3/usb key who's going on authors right. And we talk about the tax to the internet acces providers. It's a common idea. what could be really great is a kind of "world authors/creators rights".

    About the CD and author and money, i guess u didn't read well all what i said... "Give u a standard example for a cd if u are /author/composer/interprert/ and u have 50% of the production"

    i guess u re probably a gardener or an office guy who works for "fag mag" so u know well the music market and what is producing, editing, etc etc

    Stealing is stealing. U re a pirate, u re a thief and nothing that what u say will change that. Or u admit or u go back to write an article about the make up of the joker for "fag mag" ...

  • Saint - Spartacus

    no one can forbidden open source tendency

  • Peter S 李贝勒

    U re right girls. We can't. And the risk of too much control is dangerous for our private life. That's why the ideas of the tax on blank cd/dvd etcetc and the tax on internet provider acces are not a bad ideas. The hard thing to manage is how to share well the cake between big stars and "little jhon" the guitarist who plays his own compositions and songs every friday night in the bar of the corner of my street.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc