Discussion » Film & TV » in love with titanic

• titanic
    titanic wrote:
    <p>i am a guy 29 since the release of titanic 1997 i became so inlove with the movie, the ship its history, i have drawn so many pictures of it, i have played the titanic music on piano, i even made a small ship toy back in school, now i am still obsessed with ships, i love ships , and i love the sea, all coz of the movie. does anyone share this with me?</p>
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I like ships and I like the sea.

I'm not trying to be mindlessly contrary here, but to this day I'm baffled by what people see in Titanic, why the fuck did it win so many Oscars?

The plot and the script are dull, and the acting is ball-achingly dreadful- the only thing I can see that it has got going for it is that it had quite pretty cinematography (and I suppose the sound track was ok, if you like that sort of thing).

Please OP, someone, anyone tell me.. why did this film do so well? Am I missing something?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Well Semiotic,

I'm not denying it hit all the plot beats of it genre and did everything a film was supposed to do. I'll agree with you there. But I think it stopped about there. How it is seen by many as one of the truly great movies still escapes me.

It lacked a strong degree of emotional complexity, the dialogue and acting were dreadful (I won't go and pull quotes here), and De Caprio does not remotely cut it as a working-class hero.

To enjoy a film I need at least one of these: wit, humour, things happening on the margins of human existence, weirdness, great acting, interesting characters, emotional ambiguity, or gonzo sex scenes. Titanic had none of these, not that I could see anyway.

Why the fuck am I writing about Titanic at 4am? I gotta lay of the crystal meth- it's just so moreish.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.