Discussion » Nonsense » 'I was born intelligent, but education ruined

• Eric
    Eric wrote:
    <p><strong>'I was born intelligent, but education ruined me'; who said this?</strong></p> <p>I wanted to ask as to who made the famous abovementioned saying. Was it the saying of any of famous people like Winston Churchill, Einstein etc or its just said by someone anonymous, for the sake of amusement?</p>
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Yeah!, we need more Yasnaya Polyana and Summerhill, and cast a resurrection spell on Paulo Freire !!

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Ivan Illich's 'Deschooling Society,' is good on this.

Forty years on, nobody as really taken on his ideas, least of all China.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

No one, no one has never born intelligent. Who is that guy please let me know her or him? A baby's brain is empty as an empty hard disc, till it's filled up with what she is being taught with.

We acquire intelligence, through education. Having said that,it's depend on which education one is being taught that might ruin u or not ruin u.

Someone said, science without conscience is just a mere a ruin of the soul.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Hp, babies are not cds

@Secret Garden aka Eva, Yes u r right, but our brain stores memories like cds, computer is made seemingly from how human brain works.I didn't say we are born stupid, I did said we are born empty, with no memory. What we are taught, what we see, what experience, make us what we are are.

I might be less ignorant in education or psychology, but I can't abide to the idea that we are born intelligent, intelligence is not born with, but acquired. So as Eric said,which circumstance did the author said this statement...

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone!

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

If Leonhard Euler hadn´t gone to the school, He would have been an intelligent farmer

totally agree with Secret Garden,

through education, We can acquire knowledge, culture..

through experience in life, We can acquiere wisdom...

In any case, there two big problems here: what is intelligence? how to measure ir?

For example, if memory is one of the elements to measure intelligence, then is true that Intelligence can be improved (for example, learning mnemonic)

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Hp, babies don’t just store data like cds. We are not born as simple containers and certainly not empty ones. @Secret Garden, y do u fall short to tell us how the baby memory works? Yes u r right baby's memory is not like a CD.

Baby got the ability to identify people and objects seen before. The more something is being repeated to a baby often times, the more she gets to know what it is and steps to come. Researchers say the ability for babies to remember some details of specific experiences for a short amount time of time is when a baby is about six months a so..she can recall where to find her toy, to know that if mummy bring this bowl is for me to eat and so on.

Here it shows that the brain is empty, and over time our brain is filled with what surrounds us.

We are not born as simple containers and certainly not empty ones.

I would say we r empty, empty.

And so from baby-persons we become baby-girls and baby-boys and all the rest of the crap according to the society where we were born.

What do u mean by that? Does that mean when a baby is born she didn't have a gender or what? Or do u mean the baby gets a gender after she was born?

Please advice

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Here it shows that the brain is empty, and over time our brain is filled with what surrounds us.

Long long time ago, One dude, called Locke, wrote Nihil est in intellectu quod non antea fuerit in sensu (Nothing is in the intellect that was not earlier in the senses).

And other buddy, called Leibniz, added nisi intellectus ipse (except the intellect itself).

And still after more than three centuries, this old discussion never gets old.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

@A something, then tell correct secret garden to change her statement " We are not stupid or empty."

@Secret garden We are born creators, this is new to me. What do u mean by creation here?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... just off topic ... Secret ... you should set a quota for the number of questions you will answer ...

... me, the advocate of stupidity ...

• Mengmeng
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

The clean slate theory is extremely outdated and was mainly used by God fearing types to colour in the notions of black and white society.

Bravo bravo ... but there are many who control (or design) the education are NOT even religious :)

... and ... I dont agree that education is meant as a "battle for survival", it is just shaped that way ...

I have always believed in "freedom of choice" and so the purpose of "education" is to provide knowledge of the pros and cons of "decisions", to give examples of what others have done in the past, and then let give that freedom of final decision ... so should one make a mistake, one should learn from the consequence, and hopefully wont do the same thing again ... or something like that ...

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

"A baby's brain is empty as an empty hard disc"?

Empty? Take a look, HP

alt text

Hard disks are factory-installed, besides access to memory, memory space and other features are determinated by the different parts inside.

Nobody here believes that education is not necessary , but here you can find people critical to one kind of education. Which one? That kind of education called - Banking education- Let me repeat some mottos:

In the banking concept of education, knowledge is a gift bestowed by those who consider themselves knowledgeable upon those whom they consider to know nothing.

Education thus becomes an act of depositing, in which the students are depositories and the teacher depositor.

The teachers make deposits which students patiently recive, memorize and repeat. Is not surprising that the banking concept of education regards men as adaptable, manageable things.

Well, the only way to learn 汉字 is repeat and memorize, but what about history?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

(Nothing is in the intellect that was not earlier in the senses).

baby persons are born with the same potential to do anything, afterwards instead, these little persons are expected to act and behave according to the roles of their gender which are defined by the society around them. This gender is expressed physically, with the dress for example for the girl, but also with certain gestures, speech patterns etc.

@A豆腐, Eva, not only people got senses, but animals too.

@A豆腐, u r going down on which form of education is appropriate. But let us not go away from the topic itself, I was bron intelligent and education ruined me. I said, human don't come out intelligent as this is known as something we acquier, but both of us and animal are born with an instinct which might be what is referred in the statement u've mentioned above.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

intelligence is not born with, but acquired.

HP, If you say: Knowledge is acquired. No doubts. You are damn right.

But intelligence? If you take a look at some intelligence tests, you will see those tests don´t measure knowledge, they don´t ask you questions about history, ethics, or infinitesimal calculus... They try to measure mental capacities.

ok, about the topic: I was born intelligent and education ruined me

Some teachers instead of developing in the child the capacity to:

Think for himself

They are merely concerned to crom his head full of ready-made ideas of others. If these ideas are wrong, absurds... those students can say properly: I was born intelligent and education ruined me.

Why? Education has only given them a distorted point of view and made of them biased minds. The world, the people and things are judged from the wrong point of view, seen in the wrong light, and treated in the wrong way. what a fucking ruin!

what waste of their natural capacities!

Thats the feeling behind this topic, and thats the only way to find sense in the Pink Floyd´s lyrics: Teacher leave them kids alone!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... Snake ... so you are actually saying that education can affect intelligence? hmmm ... as much as I would like to say "no" because this is generally not true, I will make an exception if you were referring to yourself ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

@A豆腐, as I said previously, it's the form or type of education that can ruin a child. I don't have problem with that. But there are some authors who do think, and I abide with their point of view that baby's brain is blank as a slate and what u expose to her is what she will learn.

As for intelligence, there could be 2 types. Hereditary and acquiered intelligence. As Asser said: Intelligence is hereditary factor but if it does not be developed and cared for it will get faded gradually. There is intelligence acquired through assiduousness, work obtaining scientific degree and research as well as with the will.

The hereditary intelligence, however, remains stronger it has received attention and care. The inborn intelligence is an indication of extraordinary innovation and creativeness and if it finds encouragement it will reach further than the human brain and becomes supernatural. As for the acquired intelligence it comes through assiduousness, the will and determination and the person may attain his goal at a level equal to the inborn intelligence or more than that. We always identify intelligence from among children as there are very intelligent children but id they do not receive attention and care by the family and discover it and develop it this intelligence will fade away or may be invested in useless matters and not good for the society or it maybe discovered in a time that is late

@Wlib CEO Dildo, don't be idiot all the way, there's time to think even a lil bit. Cral back from where u were

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... Snake, at least I face the fact that I am an idiot and have fun with it ... resistance is futile ...

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

No matter what kinda of education, it always makes you more intelligent if you are an intelligent person.

Catholic Education has showed us how well this kind of education can ruin brilliant minds in each age. Just think about how St. Thomas Aquinas or Suárez spent their time argue about if angels have sex or not, or one of the best, How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Or even the great Newton, If he had focused more on science instead of writting on theology most of the time, what kind of achievements he would have got?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.