Discussion » Dating & Romance » Does Money Matter in Love?

  • Cheng
    Cheng wrote:
    <p>Hi,</p> <p>We all know the old saying that "Money can't buy happiness" but so regularly you see in the media that the most successful and rich people seem to find love, they get the partners that they want. This could be entirely down to social perception that the less wealthy partner is only choosing their spouse because of their material wealth.</p> <p>I disagree, I believe that the less fortunate person is merely seeking happiness by having security and material goods. We are all in the pursuit of happiness, everyone of us wants to be joyful for every moments of our loves. The lack of material wealth can describe the soaring rates of mental depression among populations in the modern world, as most of the world's wealth is possessed by a small minority. </p> <p>You see celebrities committing suicide and suffering from mental problems because they have already bought happiness and experienced all that is great to living. The next step would be to toss away their fleshy bodies that imprison them. </p> <p>What do you guys think?</p>
  • Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

    Holding the love is mean keep the balance between two ppl, if the balance lost ,,no matter money or others reason ,all will be the big matter in love .

  • Simen Wangberg

    "I care about the man's ability of making money..and he is willing to spend money for me. That's how I know he loves me."

    Further evidence that poor people are less than human, being unable to demonstrate love and all that. Throw 'em under the train! Those Party officials and businessmen buying apartments and cars for their mistresses must love the shit out of those women. TURE LOVE FOREVRE.

  • Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

    totally agree,, For me , kiss everyday ,and hug ,,,loud to say i love u ,,is really make good feeling ,,love should be like that .

  • Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

    hehe is mean dont need looking for a perfect person to set up the relationship ,but get a person to create a perfect relationship .

  • Simen Wangberg

    "Different people express love and feel loved in different ways. For some it's money."

    Well they are WRONG because I am RIGHT.

  • WeLiveInBeijingRess


    Well they are WRONG because I am RIGHT.

    a lot ppl think so but not too many r brave enough to say so

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:


    I care about the man's ability of making money..and he is willing to spend money for me. That's how I know he loves me.


    Grown ups are talking..go back yard to play, kiddo~

    Once you're fully grown and The Man whose ego you've been stroking over the years comes to realize that his ability to express his love in this way actually works just as well on younger girls with lower expectations, you're not going to think your financial transaction model of relationshittery was so fucking mature, young lady.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)


    Hahahahaha ... there are two Chinese sayings about this:

    1. 贫贱夫妻百事哀

    2. 钱不是万能,但没有钱,就万万不能

    To a large extent, this has been how we "managed" our own marriage over the years, and this is what I often suggested as well ... when making any plan, a couple should always try to look at the bigger picture ...

  • Brenda Liu
    Brenda Liu wrote:


    only if u can find a charming homeless person

  • WeLiveInBeijingRess

    but i think women don't usually spend a penny, chinese guys say you will have sex with me if you love me, and girls seriously enjoy it but lie to the guy i have sex with you because i love you, isn't this puzzling ???

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:


    But I know how difficult to make money, there is always one rule : Work your ass off.

    I see this rule getting broken very frequently by people in public and private enterprises. But my objection wasn't moral, sugartits. It was pragmatic.

    But, money never lies.

    Money is a lie. Far be it from me to put capitalism on trial in this thread, but you best be trollin'.

    If he is willing to spend them on you, either he is too rich or he really loves you.

    If you're as willing to settle for the former as you are hopeful of the latter, then more power to ya, but you'd better have the courage of your convictions to not come back all cunthurt and asking for an emotional bailout when you don't earn the return on investment you were expecting. No matter how niubi a chick might be, nobody's value keeps up with the rate of inflation, particularly when parts of said body start to look deflated.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @JulieZhu, Beggars can't be choosers, and I think you're certainly guilty of begging the question: how are you to know whether it's the former or the latter? How do you know that you're getting what you pay for?

    "Money never lies" only if you're the sole accountant.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)


    (continued) ...

    And as an accountant, It would be easy to detect a man's account, don't you think?

    ... heehee .. I have to second that ...

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:


    if you're the sole accountant

    And as an accountant

    By your own admission, you are not the definite article. Again, how can you be so sure that all transactions are over the table?

    I'm going to play these financial metaphors to the hilt until we get to death and taxes.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:


    are you in the field of audit work or commercial law?

    alt text

    Silly newfag! A Dando could only dream of making itself so useful! No, my role as a statist vampire is far less noble and valorous. I work in media. It's just that I've never met a four I didn't like.


    alt text

  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

    Seems like money matters in love only if it matters. It depends on the people in the relationship. Personally I like what Peter said above about two people in the relationship having the same ideas about money. I think that is a spot on insight into relationships and money's affect within the relationship. It would be a foolish thing to build a relationship with a greedy person if you are the sharing type and expect for it to be reciprocated. I feel that it would also be a mistake to try with a privileged person who's only goal in life is making money and does not care about anything else if you are the type that loves simple things. It all depends on how you compliment each other.

    Like it or not, for the most part, money has replaced the archaic hunter and gatherer idea that only the strong survive and if you can hunt well and are handy enough to construct tools in order to make life easier then you got it made. Money is the prize these days and it takes a bit more than good hunting skills to bring it in by the truck load. Security used to be ensured by the master hunter or craftsman, but now it is ensured by the merchant, master bureaucrats, business men, highly skillful strategist, or even the 21 yr old genius who can program a computer. Most women are looking for security. If they can fell secure with a guy without money then they will, but If they can't then they won't and we can not really change that personal preference. Smart women actually go out and make their own, so then they have true freedom to choose whats best for them without being having to be thought of as a commodity being bought or owned by a man.

    Personally, I had my own experience with this and I learned that I do not like the superficial, privileged, buy me this buy me that type. I am the type that does things because I want to and not because it is demanded of me. For example, my ex had to have a little red "Hermes" clutch, which I thought was absolutely ridiculous because it cost $20,000 USD. I decided I would buy it for her, but I guess I was not quick enough because she is a NOW NOW NOW type of Fuerdai spoiled brat, so she made the mistake of telling me, "You will never be able to give me the life i deserve." Needless to say I dropped her like a bad habit and left her to ask mom and dad for the stupid bag. That left a bad taste in my mouth.

    Money is not as important to me as it is to some people. I can be perfectly happy and content without truckloads of gold, but on the other hand I enjoy what money brings. Porche, Saab, Mercedes, Champagne, nice clothes, etc..... but those things will never define me no matter if I have them or not. I would not expect anyone to ever give me those things. Have dated the acclaimed Chinese Funu, tasted the lifestyle, had my own cars, motorcycles, surfing everyday, playing in the sun etc.... I'm not really impressed. Money has it's uses, but its definitely not used for me to buy a lover's company. It can buy some Charlie Sheen grade whores in New York or Shanghai, but not love, not for me at least.

    I respect people's choices to find whatever they want in a lover. It may not be suitable for me, but that's why its not me.

    Its pretty funny that Julie Zhu said, "I care about the man's ability of making money..and he is willing to spend money for me. That's how I know he loves me." That's cute! It actually gave me flashbacks to my little Hermes incident I mentioned above.

    Search for what you want in a person. People get what they deserve. If they try to buy love then they can have the hollow love they receive. Everyone is looking for something to fulfill they're needs whether it be financial, emotional security, or simply a companion to share life with because they have everything else. The most lasting relationships are when both people are whole and really need nothing from the other. This way they are together simply because they want to be and could not see themselves with anyone else because that other person is a part of them "soul mates."

    BTW: If you want money get it, if you don't care about money then live your life without worrying about it. Every sock has it's match, every pot has it's cover that fits.

    Ladies if you are the superficial type and think you can sustain a relationship with someone solely based on money then good luck. You do not want to hear about all the headcase Xiaosan and trophy wives I meet on a daily basis. Good fun they are..... emotionally distraught, needy, starved for affection, and as pretty as can be. Poor babies. Its a good thing they find friends to fill the gap. Just remember to always have a plan B and or C.

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    @Kodi, of all people I've been reading on this site, u r just exceptional. U said it all.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)


    (continued) ... based on the recent survey result that:

    a man needs to make at least 4000rmb per month to be worthy of having a relationship ...

    ... the answer to the thread would be a big fat "yes" ... not because of the pitiful 4000rmb per month, but because that (some) people actually think that this question is worth asking ...

  • Silje Linnerud

    Cheng, this thread is just lame. Money matters in life, alright? If anyone just wants to use money to prove anything, measure certain things, I'd say, he/she is overly retarded.

  • Peter S 李贝勒

    Money! more than happiness is bringing u freedom. Freedom of choices, freedom of doing what you want when u want. And this freedom could bring u to happiness or not... But money "can't buy me love"( beatles) If a part of u, love someone cause he or she's comfortable; this part of u is a bitch... Don't love a purse but a person... And the problem of this society is that we forgot to often people and human be for $$$...

  • Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

    money is not everything,but nothing of life can be done without money in real life...

  • Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

    Just don't get played like an Angry bird.

  • Kristian Svoren

    @ Kodi, brilliant!!! you spilled the beans, discussion END

  • nobody
    nobody wrote:

    in love , not important, in life, important

  • Rohit
    Rohit wrote:

    Money makes everything better.

  • Rohit
    Rohit wrote:

    Its all about "want","I want". its never about "give".

  • Dominik
    Dominik wrote:


    i wouldnt pay dime for you, with that attititude you are not coming far, how long are you gonna pull the i am cute, i am young, i am your wh""re for cash attitude? seriously, you are gonna get old, some parts of your body gonna be saggy and then there is nothing more to dig.

    while there are other people who might be poor, granted, who might live in a rather mundane state of existence. they still have each other. what do you have in 20 years when your rich husband settles for alot younger equally naive girl?

    you got nothing out of it. NOTHING.... \ the problem i have seen with many modern people is, they never, ever, ever think about tomorrow.

    yes, juli i believe you. you can get a guy with big bank account, buy iphone 10s by the dozens for now. great,more power to you! seriously thoughif material compensation is all your going for it would be far more economical and healthy to get a good job yourself and fuck male hookers for a few bucks a night....

    that will save you alot of hardship in the long run, at least you can count on yourself and dont rely on someone who is actually using you for the time being until you are used up

    god, never understand gold diggers...never will.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.


WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc