Discussion » Beijing Life » getting a motobike, any advice?

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

Hey guys, i've always wanted a cool motobike. Now this year, i've decided to put it on my list. FINALLY, AFTER ALL THESE YEARS! ideally, it'd look like this or something similar. http://frr11.wanye68.com/company/newmb/1/cpdetail.asp?tc=huang&id=9578713&userid=frr11

few questions:1. is buying a second hand one a good idea? why or why not?

1. where can i get the license for motobike? i know a lot of ppl are driving on the road without one, but i want to do it in a proper way.

2. where can i get a plate? how much does it cost? i heard there are two types, A, B plates. what are the differences?

3. is this kind of motobike allowed on the ring roads? i've heard its not.

4. what do i need to buy to secure my motobike? i dont want it to get stolen?

5. any motobike group in beijing that i can join for weekend motoride activities or so?

Thanks guys.any info would be great. if you can refer me to someone who rides a motobike, that'd be even better:) Happy New Year, Winnie

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:

Miss C, for now, i think i'll get a second hand one before i buy a new one for test rides for half a year. Will PM you when i need. thanks

Rodrigo, thats really bad!i have a little bike that i brought into my room every day. but recently i started to just lock it right outside my door...hmmmm....

Nasser, does it have a plate? what year? any pictures?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Set off the whole look with a rebelliously cut leather jacket...

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Welcome to freedom from traffic and a cage while travelling. Also, welcome to NDEs, heart in mouth moments and staring death right in the face (sometimes ;) ).
    Totally and utterly worth it though.

Get a dirtbike to learn on, or a 125-150cc bike (seriously....). Put at least 5000k on the clock before moving up a notch, to a 400cc or so.

My understanding is that - the only brands of bike that can be ridden on the roads here are the chinese brands, hyosung, ducatti, bmw and harley davidson plus SOME japanese bikes of 250cc and under. Everything else is illegal. For example, the honda cb400 - lots around, but illegal. Any racing bike not made by ducatti or bmw is illegal (on the road, but can be used at tracks). Yamaha R1, R6 etc, illegal. Kawasaki ninja - illegal. (I seen lots around though - just fk!n ride them and dont stop for hell or high water!!!)

Please do the following:

Wear a helmet.

Wear leathers.

Wear armoured gloves.

Wear thick boots.

Please.

As for parking, a motobike takes up hardly any space so can be parked in tight spots. Use this to your advantage. Put them places that are either very visible or very invisible. Always keep it inside an underground car park at night. (I even kept one at a compound that I didnt even live in and no one ever asked me any questions!) As far as paperwork and all that jazz goes....well.... thats all upto you. Bikes are hot here and an investment can disappear quick if you dont take simple precautions. I used to have my scooters stolen all the time, but after I started paying a little closer attention to where I left them, that problem went away.

Other than that, enjoy, but try to resist the urge to really screw it on all the time!!!!!!!!!

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

lame troll! the chinese brands COMMA NOT COLON hyosung COMMA etc etc.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

This is not "my understanding", it's verifiable.

Whatever...it is MY UNDERSTANDING. Your post is just another baseless attempt to derail a perfectly legitimate thread. Harley is a legally bonafied dealer in china, as is ducatti, BMW etc. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph etc are not licensed to deal in larger bikes here. (This is lay understanding of the "laws" regarding bikes in China. That is all.)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Your understanding is limited.

Shanghai bans motorcycles from elevated highways, the historic Bund and the financial district. Beijing hasn’t allowed new registrations since 1985. Guangzhou banned motorcycles in 2007 after a surge in drive-by purse snatchings.

Bloomberg isn't the most reliable source, but it's a damn sight more reliable than a troll wannabe.

The Imp of the Perverse was sitting on my shoulder the other night and told me I should get one of those three-wheeled electric bikes with the smartcar-like frame (pseudo-intellectual car?), paint it black if it ain't already, tint the windows, and put a fake Audi logo on it, so I can pretend I'm a hutongster cadre.

Except I'd be polite to pedestrians.

These three-wheeled bikes don't require any kind of license, do they? Every one I've seen had a handicapped sticker on it, though.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Should I just ask the geriatrics in my community?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Beijing hasn’t allowed new registrations since 1985.

this is complete and utter bullshit....but damn predictable behavoir from a real troll.

@Beardy Weirdy - Why dont you write about your RL experiences rather than your web derived non-wisdom? The day I see an imp like you on a man machine like a motorcycle is the day that maos portrait is removed from tiananmen, hell freezes over, it snows three feet in death valley etc..

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

didn't read lol

Why dont you write about your RL experiences

I don't need to drop hints that I possess a commercial driver's license or conjecture that I've got more mileage than you just by accident of growing up in a rural area where cars are an actual necessity besides just a recreation. I don't need to bother, not when I can just humbly quote the article Scott posted.

And it really doesn't strain credulity that every person I've seen riding a motorcycle in Beijing is doing so on a semi-legal basis. The way I obtained my current visa is not in according to the written laws, but I haven't been deported yet.

It is an Oriental mystery.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

You growing up in nowheresville rural hillbilly buttrape country and conjecture of your accidental birth bares fuck all relation to the subject at hand: motorcycles in beijing; something you obviously know less than fuck all about. Again, button your blustering beltching buttcheeks. I reiterate, the day a pecker like you gets on a motorcycle and rides it without the trepidation one would expect from a rodent approaching a hungry kitty, is the day the seas boil dry, mountains become trenches, pigs fly etc.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

alt text

I have a commercial driver's license [so I've driven a lot] and I grew up in the sticks

You growing up in nowheresville rural hillbilly buttrape country and conjecture of your accidental birth bares fuck all relation to the subject at hand: motorcycles in beijing; something you obviously know less than fuck all about.

And that's why I didn't bring it up. As a redneck, I've had the privilege and the duty of humping a lot of heavy equipment for recreational and practical purposes. Having driven professionally in the motor state, I can affect expertise in all things related to internal combustion vehicles be they on wheels, water, or tracks.

Or I can just quote a newspaper article contradicting you.

The point is, I know motorcyles are of extremely dubious legality in Beijing, and I know that you're very desperate to prove that you have some inkling that you know what you're talking about. Your inability to respond with anything other than insults when contradicted by two other people and a news article proves that you're not as well-informed as you want people to believe, and furthermore, that you can't possibly have any experience of riding a motorcycle in Beijing whatsoever, as straddling any sort of seat would aggravate your raging hemorrhoids.

implying my three-wheeler idea isn't more badass than a two-wheeled dildo by several orders of magnitude

alt text

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

tl;dr

This shit right here. You can't see from the perspective of my balcony, but underneath that frame it's an electric tri-cycle.

alt text

Where do I get it? And can I get it in black?

纯爷们儿车, where to buy?!

More pics coming when I can be arsed to leave the house.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

wtf

alt text

?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Having driven professionally in the motor state, I can affect expertise in all things related to internal combustion vehicles be they on wheels, water, or tracks.

The fact that you drove a truck allows you to comment on nothing more than being a drop out, roadside diners, fast food, doughnut shops and cheap amphetamines.

The point is, I know motorcycles are of extremely dubious legality in Beijing,

No, the point is, a word like "dubious" to describe a state of legality is a canard. It merely displays you "have doubts", meaning that you are not certain, meaning that you know fuck all and have nothing of any value to add to this post. Im now going to drop some free wisdom on you (again), you can thank me later (again): Motorcycles are not of "extremely dubious legality" in Beijing, on the contrary, laws about motorcycles are very clearly defined. Go talk to any motorcycle dealer in this city, they know a lot more about the legalities than you and they would be more than happy to tell you very clearly what they are. No new registrations since 1985? Utter tosh. My bike was registered in 2009 and is completely legal. It once got towed, cops got mad and butthurt because I was able to produce my registration which meant they had to give it back AND pay the tow fee themselves (they illegally towed it asserting that the bike was illegal, when it wasnt). Turns out the cops dont even know the law, lol, in China - who would have thought? rofl.

I know that you're very desperate to prove that you have some inkling that you know what you're talking about.

Nope. Just helping the OP.

Your inability to respond with anything other than insults

annoys you...doesnt it, beardy weirdy?

when contradicted by two other people

when the two "people" (you and scott..lol) know less than diddly squat about the subject but STILL feel you need to post here I think it illustrates quite clearly who is the one desperate to prove they know something (in your case nothing). This is one of the unfortunate symptoms of being a troll, you feel compelled to post under everything and thus make an arse of yourself all the time.

and a news article proves that you're not as well-informed as you want people to believe

a news article proves nothing except for the ineptitude of the writer ( the news article is WRONG)

and furthermore

stopped here didnt read lol

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Alex.

a word like "dubious" to describe a state of legality is a canard.

Water is wet.

I'd like to point out that just because something can be purchased and observed does not eliminate all rational doubts concerning the legality of its use. Nonetheless, I would love to see you test that reasoning in the parking lot of a gun show.

in Beijing, on the contrary, laws about motorcycles are very clearly defined ... Turns out the cops dont even know the law, lol, in China - who would have thought? rofl.

Hmm. Yes. Quite.

No new registrations since 1985? Utter tosh. My bike was registered in 2009 and is completely legal.

Why don't you tell us precisely where you went in order to obtain proper registration? Such information would doubtless be relevant to the OP's interest, not to mention mine. Oh. Right. You don't like being helpful.

Even more dubious is the notion that you've been in Beijing this long and still think any laws in this country are "clearly defined," particularly in light of your anecdote that even the police aren't sureof the legality of your purely imaginary crotch rocket.

Holy fucking shit.

It's like you were trying to prove to Tara an alternative explanation for why you wear a helmet all the time by convincing her that you're a badass motorcycle jock, but you ended up colliding into a wall of your own non-logic at full throttle. I don't even have to add insult to injury.

I do have more pictures of this grandpa cart, however. And after closer examination I'm less sure that it's just a box built around an electric bike.

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

This morning, an identical vehicle passed the bus I was riding. I did not get a photo, but I saw that it did not have the same type of handicapped license plate as the one in my neighborhood, so I don't think they're exclusively reserved for people with impaired mobility. However, it was near my workplace where there are a lot of old folks living.

Anyway, what the fuck are these things? Do I have to be disabled or a senior citizen to purchase/register one?

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

I'd like to point out that just because something can be purchased and observed does not eliminate all rational doubts concerning the legality of its use.

perhaps not in your tiny brain. purchased and observed? I said it was REGISTERED. My bike is a Beijing registered road vehicle, the registration documents were issued by the 北京市公安局公安交通管理局. Vehicle type is 普通二轮摩托车 . register and issue date are 2009-05-31.

in Beijing, on the contrary, laws about motorcycles are very clearly defined .Turns out the cops dont even know the law.

Though the above sentence may seem self contradictory, if you knew anything about law enforcement in almost any country you would be aware that police are typically familiar with the types of laws they operate within the parameters of on a daily basis. Those laws outside of the standard daily police encounters typically have a very low level of understanding among regular beat cops. This is especially true in China, and the simple fact was proved by my experience noted above, and it is simply because legally registered motorcycles are not as common as cars and scooters.

Even more dubious is the notion that you've been in Beijing this long and still think any laws in this country are "clearly defined,"

All the laws ARE clearly defined. The scope and application of their ENFORCEMENT, however, is not. You should know this. You should also know that this is where the (your) confusion arises from (in conjunction with your ignorance).

but you ended up colliding into a wall of your own non-logic at full throttle

errr.....where?

Pictures of a three wheel "cike" do nothing to further your non-points and only serve to derail the thread and turn it into a discussion about handicapped license plates. Which is predictably what you want (having been rendered handicapped by extreme and repeated butthurt on this forum).

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

i has a bike

Cool story, bro. The energy you devote toward trolling would be better put to use by providing specific information about the registration process instead of just copy-pasting the name of a government department.

in Beijing, on the contrary, laws about motorcycles are very clearly defined .Turns out the cops dont even know the law.

Though the above sentence may seem self contradictory if you knew anything about law enforcement in almost any country

I have a degree in social and criminal justice, and it seems to me it's more of an issue of discretionary enforcement. Practically everything in China is illegal, but most of it is okay as long as you don't piss off the wrong people.

As I'd alluded previously, it's supposedly impossibru for a person to obtain a work visa without going back to their home country. Yet many people get away with it. The legality of doing so is questionable, even dubious, one might say.

Pictures of a three wheel "cike" do nothing to further your non-points and only serve to keep the the thread on topic about "getting a motobike, any advice?"

Look at me, being relevant, even while Alex and his pal throw temper tantrums.

Which is predictably what you want (having been rendered handicapped by extreme and repeated butthurt on this forum).

You have quite a talent for "predicting" things after they happen. Have you yet predicted that flaming me might help me find the information I am seeking?

Proceed.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

As Alex has already intimated, your opinions on such manly, testosterone-infused pursuits as motorcycling, which are the sole preserve of alpha males and not effeminate, spindly and creepy English teacher beta types like you, are about as welcome as those of a eunuch professing authority when it comes to women.

Good thing I wasn't sharing an opinion, but merely requesting relevant information in a lighthearted manner.

This site is really starting to go to shit with all the sockpuppets and failtrolls.

inb4 /b/ was never good

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

copy pasting

I can speak, read, write and type Chinese. Now you can go cry in the knowledge that you're not that special.

providing specific information about the registration process

yaaawwn....for a nominal service fee, the dealer does this for you (the process), just like everywhere else in the world.

I have a degree in social and criminal justice, and it seems to me it's more of an issue of discretionary enforcement.

Lol. Look where that got you, a life of copy editing and trolling. It did not take a degree in social and criminal justice for me to realize that the discrepancy in your reasoning was related to ENFORCEMENT as I wrote clearly in block capitals..now you assert that you knew this all along. bwahaha... which is it, beardy weirdy? Don't try to pass it off as your own insightful observation when I made it very clearly in the post above.

As I'd alluded previously, it's supposedly impossibru for a person to obtain a work visa without going back to their home country.

Irrelevant waffle. Utterly different sections of law overseen by totally different governmental departments. Straw man, red herring, derail topic attempt and fail.

Look at me, being relevant

Look at you thinking you're so relevant. rofl. Since when did the OP ask about three wheeled cikes and disabled license plates? Your logic gets more and more convoluted each time your butthurt ass puts greasy mits to keyboard. Best you quit while you're behind.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Me:

I have doubts based on this Bloomberg article and my experiences with obtaining visas

BTW, where can I get one of these three-wheeled thingies?

Alex:

"in Beijing, on the contrary, laws about motorcycles are very clearly defined ... Turns out the cops dont even know the law, lol, in China - who would have thought? rofl"

insults and butthurt

Me:

You're right, that is funny, you idiot. But I still wanna know whether I can get one of these three-wheeled thingies.

Alex:

bawwwwwwwwwwww I made a stupid and so I need to call my imaginary friends to insult Dando as that is the only way to hide my butthurt without a bowel resectioning

BTW that would be "trike," not "cike." And it's spelled "bona fide."

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

lol...and with that,

Me: Right.

Dando: Wrong.

Now, Beardy Weirdy - go cry, cultivate your gnomish appearance, nurse your butthurt etc

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

mfw instigating Alex et al.'s utter buttdestruction facilitates my search for a grandpamobile

alt text

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

wins

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

mfw Alex attributes win to me with greytext

alt text

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

wins again

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Really, Alex, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Instead of exploding with buttrage over being contradicted by two trolls and a newspaper article, you could have made yourself useful and provided more useful information for the OP. But instead you demonstrated once again that you can't write a coherent paragraph to save your life, so you contradicted yourself, saying:

in Beijing, on the contrary, laws about motorcycles are very clearly defined ... Turns out the cops dont even know the law, lol, in China - who would have thought? rofl.

And completely missed the point I'd been trying to make from the very beginning (hello, visas) that discretionary enforcement complicates the law in China, among other factors including frequent changes to the legal code and limits on the number of new vehicle registrations awarded each year. I see no mention of that in your lame layman's analysis upstairs. Christ. Do you even live in this city?

You can't parse enforcement discretion from legal codes. You're from a country with a common law system, wherein a law that is never enforced might as well not exist.

When challenged to provide

specific information about the registration process

You:

yaaawwn....for a nominal service fee, the dealer does this for you (the process), just like everywhere else in the world.

Terrible advice, by the way, as the dealer has every incentive to assure a customer that vehicle registration laws are "very clear"--he wants to sell you shit, after all. And this might explain why the police towed your bike, if you left it up to an agent or third party.

Perhaps your papers were 差不多OK, but they decided to let the matter slide when they realized they were dealing with an obnoxious and vindictive foreigner. I honestly don't know, because you annoyingly vague and obscurant, and whenever you are contradicted or pressed for specific information, you respond with insults.

And before you throw another tantrum, do remember to try and make yourself useful to the OP. Other than responding to you, I've at least made an attempt to stay relevant (give or take one wheel). You, on the other hand, haven't offered anything than the flimsy guarantee of your dubious understanding.

And BTW, if anyone wins this thread it's Scooter, as in spite of his gaffe, at least he provided another source of information. Other than HURR DURR BLOOMBERG IS WRONG AND YOU ARE ALL STUPID AND UNMANLY, you don't seem to bring a whole lot to the table.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.