Discussion » Nonsense » 2012 WISHINGS

• fuckcomunsm
    fuckcomunsm wrote:
    <p>up, it is best to excuse yourself and blow your nose in a rest room. Even so Some Chinese blow their noses into their fingers and on curtains. Yawning loudly and chewing gum in public are also considered rude. A guidebook for Chinese advised them: “Don’t clean your ears in public.”</p> <p>Although less common than it once was, public urination and public puking for men is no big deal. According to Theroux the Chinese have a "prayerful way" of puking, "softy and slowly vomiting, with their heads down and their hands folded."</p> <p>Pulled Up Shirts and Exposed Bellies in China</p> <p>On hot summer days in Beijing and other places, it is a common sight to see men running around without shirts or with their shirts rolled up under their armpits exposing their bellies. They hang around, play cards, drink tea, stroll on the sidewalks without their shirts, exposing their less than ideal bodies. Flabby tummies and spares tires are the norm, not rippling abs. They also like to pull up their trousers past their belly button, with the legs rolled up. One Chinese academic told the Los Angeles Times, “Foreigners who visit always ask why are there so many half-naked men in Beijing."</p> <p>Chinese men expose their bellies to the air as a means of cooling themselves. Some also hike up their pant’s legs. Even though men from a wide range of ages engage in the custom those that do it are smirkingly known as bang ye (‘exposing grandfathers’). One man spotted with his flabby tummy exposed told the Los Angeles Times, ‘I don’t know, it just feels cooler. Look, you just shake your shirt to create breeze.’ [Source:John Glionna, Los Angeles Times, August 2010]</p> <p>Many younger, more sophisticated Chinese don’t like th custom. A man who works at department store in told the Los Angeles Times, ‘It lower’s Beijing’s standing as an international city. If my dad reaches for his shirt when I’m out with him, I threaten to go home. It’s just so embarrassing.’</p>

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.