Discussion » Beijing Life » The 'Salary Expectation' question

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    <p>This question is directed to the expats here: is it usual to encounter job advertisements in your home country that ask potential employees to outline their salary expectations up front? </p> <p>This thing consistently pisses me off, not because I'm actually looking for a new job but because it immediately kills any interest I have in an advertisement.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... if I remember correctly, this kind of question appeared often, even if not everywhere, in vacancy ads among Hong Kong newspapers, not sure if it is still true now though ... as for Oz, I seriously dont remember ...

One "reply" I have learnt, if you could call it that ... is to say something like "I am sure your company will offer me the most appropriate package for my background" ...

Hope that helps :)

• Simen Wangberg

"is it usual to encounter job advertisements in your home country that ask potential employees to outline their salary expectations up front?"

I don't know if it's typical, but it's not unheard of. I don't think it's that odd. Depends on the field, maybe. Or the position. Most of the ads I see either specify the salary or say it is "negotiable" or something along those lines.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.