Discussion » Beauty & Fashion » What up with the Chinese obsession with being whit

  • Me In Beijing 2.0
    Me In Beijing 2.0 wrote:

    Why Asian (especially Chinese, Korean and Japanese) have obsession with being pale white (i added the pale part paler to avoid confusion). Do you think is due to "admiration" of the white race or other reasons?

  • WeLiveInBeijingRess

    what up with white ppl obsession with being tanned?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    Hahahahaha ,,, too much to read, had anyone mentioned "class" issue?

  • Silje Linnerud

    oh, Geezzz, not the same old shit again. Either obsession with super pale skin color or with so-called sexy tan, it's just being superficial in two opposite directions. Case closed. NEXT!!!!!

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... the idiot said:

    Do you think is due to "admiration" of the white race or other reasons?

    and then the idiot said some more:

    Who said anything about race? I said white skin, not in a racist kind of way.

    ... pal ... seriously, if you said "pale", you could have possibly got away with it ...

  • Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... pal ... you are one very strange puppy ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... if I dont know otherwise, I would say you smell snaky ...

    The one answer I have heard ... if you insist that this is not your "racial superiority" complex, is that this is due to a "class" (or classism) issue ...

    People who work outdoor, such as farmers and fishermen etc, often get darker skin, so people with paler skin is considered from a higher class in the society ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... pal ... I dont regret for calling you idiot ... farmers and fishermen were of course mainly in the old days ... for today's Beijing, they are mostly constructions workers, street vendors etc ...

    i-m-mature ... yeah ... I think the boys learn that now ... as you are a prime example, of the opposite ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    (continued) ... you mean someone like this guy in the photo? He might NOT be a construction worker, but he is definitely not white-collar either ...

    You have possibly lived indoor or behind a computer for too long, you should go squeeze yourself in Beijing buses or subways ...

    alt text

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... 西施?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    There's no way that OP could have been implying that Asians are obsessed with the white race for any self-serving purposes.

    Slavs aren't even part of the white race.

    This is an exceedingly lame old topic that has been answered countless times. Asking the search function would have spared us an awful lot of butthurt. Here's a better question: why the fuck do Moscow's skinhead gangs adopt Nazi iconography? I can understand it when the Mongolians and Japanese cosplay otaku do it; they don't know any better. But the russkis saved the world from the krauts. Why the fuck would they be prancing around with double-eagles and swastikas?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Israeli Jews are every bit as racist as Russians, but I'm pretty damned sure Jewish skinheads in Israel don't wear Nazi iconography, because that's very illegal in Israel. Really, everyone is racist. And racism is stupid. I just find it hilarious that hardcore Russian racists celebrate their ethnic identity by adopting the symbolism of a foreign political movement that regarded Russians as sub-human.

    But alas, I digress; I was just taking the piss. I'm at least an eighth slav m'self. If we're counting blood quanta, I'm also an insufficiently Aryan untermensch, despite my blonde hair and blue eyes.

    As for the "white people window dressing," I'm told that much of it has to do with Chinese people just not trusting each other as much as it is about the novelty of whiteness in China.

    Korean and Japanese nationalism is VERY different from Chinese nationalism. Those latter two groups are relatively homogenous in terms of language and ethnicity. Although almost everybody in China is Han, there is tremendous regional cultural variation even within that even group, and when you take into account the other major Chinese nationalities, the country is in fact even more fragmented than, say, Amurrika (but keep in mind I'm from the Rust Belt, and I've only visited the coasts a handful of times). Han chauvanism aside, Chinese nationalism is quite weak compared to Korean and Japanese. Chinese people can't get away with being overtly racist, or they'll lose the western half of the country, which is crucial in terms of military strategy and natural resources.

    It's like American nationalism right after the American Civil War: a bunch of different ethnic groups which all fucking hated each other and were only barely held together by a strong central government with a big fucking army.

    Those "face jobs" as you call them are all about making Chinese companies appear to be international, as Chinese business leaders acknowledge that corruption is less widespread in such enterprises.

  • Ola Sande
    Ola Sande wrote:

    im obsession with being black...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... pal, please give me a reason to regret calling you an idiot ... you said,

    No one will think that a guy who is wearing a suit or a girl wearing high heals and a skirt and have tanned skin are actually working in a construction site, right?

    As I said, I found this image by random chance (I skipped to mentioned that I googled 民工) ... I dont know whether this particular person (who happens to be wearing s suit) is a construction worker, but it is very unlikely that he is your kind of "white collar" either, that's all ... you really should go out from behind your computer ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... huh?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... I have wondered about the same thing ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... hahahaha ...

    now all we have to do is to respect the rules of the forum

    Never expect you to make a joke out of this :)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... yeah ... lucky for me ... isnt it?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    (continued) ... I have been thinking that I might already have ... but I am not sure ...

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Maturewhat's erratic posting behavior, seemingly infinite time for trolling, extended duration of posting, and variations in language ability can only be explained by her account being controlled by more than one user.

    Compare the post times, language ability, and temperament in the post upstairs and this thread.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    You're discussing racism as though it's an individual phenomenon, like a mental illness.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    You're discussing racism as though it's an individual phenomenon, like a mental illness.

    And you are arguing as someone who met all the Israelis and Russians in the world and thus can claim

    I'm saying that racism is a sociological phenomenon, not a psychological one. I don't base general observations on the people I meet, because it's quite impossible for me to meet all the Russians and the Israelis in the world. That's the same sort of sloppy thinking that causes racism.

    Policies and group actions are more useful. Israelis might be affable people individually, but collectively? Does anyone think that racism plays a part in Israel's security policies?

    How many white supremacist skinheads have you met, personally?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    As for the face jobs, as corrupt as Korea might've been or might still be, I still don't think that was enough to make them trust foreigners. They believed that corruption and other problems were caused by foreign meddling.

    China cut itself off from the outside world for decades. They have no foreign scapegoats to blame for corruption.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I asked you how many. And were they white supremacist skinheads, or just bald dudes? Not trying to be dismissive of your non-argumentativeness here, but in fact I think people you've personally met is the worst possible basis for making generalizations. Individual perception is very limited in scope and no matter how many skinheads you've met in your whole life, you'll never have personally met a statistically significant and random sample of that or any discrete population.

    Israeli settlement policies are racially discriminatory. Weren't they going to pass a UN resolution on this very topic before the US pitched a bitch-fit?

    Anyhoo, what's wrong with the BBC and NYT? I prefer the Guardian. I would trust international media institutions before I trust individual perceptions. Besides, racism is a sociological phenomenon. Prejudice, however, is a psychological phenomenon. The former varies from population to population. The latter does not.

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    The only ultra white faces that I have seen in Beijing were women who had recently discovered the makeup or they had never learnt how to use it....
    Their main care is have a smooth skin, no spots, Are they different from the others women around the world?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Again, when I talk about racism I am talking about a sociological phenomenon, defined as prejudice plus the power to control another group--Israelis have both in spades. You say that settlements are unpopular and supported only by a minority. Overt white supremacist racist ideology is only expressed by marginal fanatics in the US, but it is quietly perpetuated by the actions of the political majority.

    You're conflating racism it with mere prejudice, or the expression of supremacist ideology and racial hatred. That's a very small part of what racism really is.

    It is military/defensive strategy that was not related to racism.

    Putting a military/defensive strategy of one's ethnic group above the needs and rights of another ethnic group is institutionalized racism.

    The fact there are no Arabs lives in a settlements doesn't make it racist.

    Segregation, whether it is de jure or de facto, is institutionalized racism.

    An example from closer to my home: Detroit's buses rarely pass between both white and black neighborhoods, even when it would seem geographically convenient. If you want to travel from a black neighborhood to a nearby suburban shopping mall, you might need to transfer to a separate line. The reason for this is not because people consciously said "let's keep the niggers out of the mall," but because real estate developers, working with transit officials, wanted to protect property prices from poor people who just happen to be black.

    I am totally unconcerned with racist thoughts. They aren't measurable. Policies are. Get it yet?

    But those are equally rasict to Russian Jews, Ethiopian Jews, Moroccan Jews and Arabs.

    Are you suggesting that having their hatreds diffused across various groups weakens them? I very much doubt that.

  • Simen Stensvoll

    一白遮三丑

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    What point are you trying to make?

    I'm chilling out and letting you make most of my points for me.

    If Israel doesn't want to give Israeli passport to El quida members because of security risk - than would you still claim it is racism? Are you for real?

    That's a straw man fallacy.

    The rest of your argument is built upon a legal and historical fantasy. The West Bank and Gaza are Palestinian territories occupied by Israel.

  • Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

  • Saint - Spartacus

    i just heard that japanese like to make up as black , and they looks like the real black .

  • Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    There are plenty of Jewish anti-Zionists--far better informed than I--who have called Israel a racist country, so I don't see how you could take exception to an off-hand statement that Israeli Jews are as racist as Russians unless you simply hate Russians. As well-informed as your bigotries are, they do more to confirm my statement than anything else.

    Especially since you've already observed that many of the Israelis living in the settlements are racist, not only to Arabs, but toward other Jews. And yet the Israeli government defends their land rights at the exclusion of those of Arabs'. For "security" reasons.

    Of course most people would prefer to have Israeli citizenship--their rights are better protected than those of others. Many so-called Palestinians who could legally obtain Israeli citizenship choose not to do so out of protest. Maybe they just hate Jews, but I think it's safer to say that being Arab citizens of an explicitly Jewish state offends their Arab identity. As a product of nominally secular Western liberal democracy, I can relate somewhat, as I am equally offended by the overt Christianization of my own country, which is every bit as as recent as the establishment of the Israeli state.

    If you are so culturally sensitive

    Who would ever accuse me of such a thing? I think Israel should be wiped off the map, as should Palestine if it were an explicitly Arab state, and if any cartographer can be bothered to draw the border. Jerusalem should be an amusement park celebrating monotheism, and administered by UN-Disney. No, wait, that's full of Jews. Better make it Six Flags. As long as none of those flags carry six-pointed stars or crescent moons, everyone could be equally miserable together.

    Nice work derailing your own thread with politics. BTW, you're still not white.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc