Discussion » Travel » Where to go on Chun Jie?

• Me In Beijing 2.0
    Me In Beijing 2.0 wrote:

I decided to stay in China this year for Chun Jie, but as most of my friends won't be here and i can't stand BJ when it gets so cold i need to go somewhere else (preferably with warmer climate).

Currently Yunan is the first place i thought about, really wanna see pandas, Lijiang and Chengdu and maybe to do some 4-5 grade rafting.

Second option is to go to Wuhan, a friend invited me to stay at her family place. So it could be cool experiece, can practice my bad Chinese with her parents. But i have no idea about Wuhan and if there is anything interesting in the area to see.

Third option is to go to Tibet, doesn't really fit my "warmer climate" wishes, but it will be less touristic then and still less cold than BJ, and i really really want to take the train there.

My questions are:1. Is it hard to find train ticket? Same/harder/easier than trying to get tickets during Natioal week holiday?2. Do you have any other places to offer?

Cheers :)

• Brenda Liu
    Brenda Liu wrote:

It is really hard to get train ticket, but if your date is decided, just buy in advance, u can get it. suggest you buy the sleeper one if u don't want to be squeezed by over 300 people for a long trip.

other offers : 1st, Xiamen, it's warm there during winter. 2nd, Ha er bin, it's extreamly cold there ~~

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Yunnan: foreign hippies getting high

Wuhan: Chinese people getting high

Tibet: everybody is basically high all the time because of the elevation (HAHA GET IT?) & oxygen deprivation

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Thanks, @Me, but I don't go places to get high. I get high to go places.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Me, Eh? English teaching? What the fuck does that have to do with the price of rice in China? What is the relevance? You must be high.

It looks like you're trying to start a fight with English teachers by suggesting that they are poor, probably because you incorrectly believe I am an English teacher, and I correctly diagnosed you with chronic butthurt long, long ago in a thread far, far away.

But the sad truth is that English teaching in Beijing is incredibly lucrative and easy for US Passport holders to exploit; I had a far higher earning potential as a freelance English teacher than I do now as an editor--there's just no room for advancement and demand far outpaces supply, so it's perceived as low and unskilled.

FYI. 'Cuz if you're going to be a classist dickwad, at least you could be an informed classist dickwad.

• Simen Wangberg

Just stay in Beijing.

Seriously, it's actually really awesome. Everyone clears the fuck out for a week or so - no traffic (automotive or otherwise), the streets are actually quiet and everything is just chill as fuck. The fireworks are just as good as they would be anywhere else and you won't have to face the prospect of riding a crowded, rickety-ass train halfway across the country.

It does get cold, but that's so you can stay in your house and do nothing but play video games while everyone's out blowing things up and eating dumplings and shit.

. wrote:

Yunnan is definitely a nice place to go during winter. Nice warm weather. But seriously when it comes to Public Holiday in China. Just so MANY people everywhere.

But if you decide to go to Yunnan. You can ask me for travel tips. ;)

• Silje Linnerud

OP, please scratch Yunnan off your list, cuz there's no either panda or a city called Chengdu waiting for you. (crap, I am not even sure if the pandas at Kunming zoo are still alive or not). And the reason why I strongly suggest you not going there, because I don't wanna see you come back then start a thread bitching about Yunnan, which is quite possible.

Dando, Yunnan is not the paradise for potheads. At least I haven't seen many.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You need to get a sense of humor, i was just kidding. That what ;) mean.

Adding a ;) to a humorless non sequitur does not result in lulz. It looks more like a spastic twitch than a knowing wink.

@Cipherie, You seem cool enough that I doubt people would hide their stash and hastily convert their water bongs into flower vases whenever you show up, but I gotta wonder: what were you looking for and where were you looking? Potheads in Kunming ought to be a dime a dozen. Or a $10 a 1/8 ounce. Er. Eh. Fuck. Whatever that is in the metric system.

• Silje Linnerud

Dando, I wasn't looking for anything, I'd lived there for over 20 years. hahaha

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I'd heartily recommend Yangshuo, just outside Guilin, for a week or so. Awesome mix of natural beauty, outdoor activities (dogging etc.) and boozy fun. Perfectly hits the spot, albeit in a rather obvious backpackery way, and easy to move on to Yunnan from there...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... actually, I would not mind spending CNY in Hong Kong, because it has far better CNY atmosphere than Beijing, and if you like the crowd, but not quite like like Tian-An-Men crowd, the "flower markets" is not a bad idea ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Me, I'm very sensitive to humor; I didn't find any such substance in your "joke" about English teachers. I did, however, detect a certain amount of anal aggravation that you are rather poor at disguising; why else would you bring up the issue? Maybe this is why you need the cheapest of puns explained to you. You seem to be lulz-impaired.

@Ciph, And that's exactly why Yunnan is such a great place for foreign potheads; there, they just seem to vanish into the ether. Hey. That gets me thinking. Ether. Where to buy?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.