Discussion » Nonsense » What do you know about Vietnamese ?

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:
    <p>Beside spring roll and Pho what do you know about Vietnam - Vietnamese?</p>
  • Brenda Liu
    Brenda Liu wrote:

Vietnamese women has nice body shape that meets Asian's standard

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

hahaha Miss Saigon - the perfume ?

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

ahhaha Maggie Q speak English and Cantonese better than Vietnamese tho :< Yeah but she is hot.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

...[br] [br] Hahahahaha ... one of my friends used to be the manager of Marriott in HCM ... does it count? [br] [br] Other than that, the noodles (Pho) and also the "boat people" issue back in the 70's and 80's ...

• Simen Wangberg

I'm wearing my black pajamas.

• Father Of Boring

Here's what I've heard/learned over the years, as a white guy who grew up around an immigrant community full of them:

They really, really hate Western "me love you long time" jokes, they've got a sharp, vulgar sense of humor, they're proud and tend to the materialistic side, they're seriously into singing, they take too many showers, they all want to be white (as in skin color, not race), they're slightly crazy if you date them too young, their dads are scary, their moms all run nail salons, and at some point or another in their lives, they all get really into painting. They seem possessive & jealous, but that's just because Western guys don't know how to read their signals. They trust horoscopes, and get very, very angry if you call them Cambodian or Laotian. And even though all the Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Laotian guys hang out and be Asian together, the women tend to hang out with their own country's people or pick a clique/social identity in high school that accords with an American identity and stick to it until they're about 25-30, at which point they revert to being "Vietnamese" and try to marry a doctor or a lawyer.

All Vietnamese girls, during the summer, wear white tank tops and baggy army pants all the time, and in the winter, it's skintight flaring jeans and layered black tops under those poofy pillow jackets. They would rather die than be caught in lace. They have awesome hair and love eye shadow and piercings and rings.

I obviously have no clue about them outside the US or in China, but...that's what I know.

• Father Of Boring

Oh, and they all love yippy dogs and hate cats.

• Father Of Boring

Vietnam the country itself: It's full of short people and drugs, but incredibly beautiful, wild, and has some of the most hard-drinking, hard-partying people anywhere on earth. Everyone has a relative in every province, northerners don't hate the government but don't like it, southerners hate the government period, and everyone would rather live anywhere than Ho Chih Minh City if they got the chance, because it's ugly as sin.

It's really hot, really tropical, and bugs and snakes and scorpions will kill you if you look at them funny. Northern & southern dialects of the language are really, really different, and people sometimes have to communicate by writing, because they have no way to talk otherwise. It's cheap and everyone rides bikes.

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

Lol , where did you take that information ? The northern and southern ' languages are about the same . Just sheng diao is different .

• Father Of Boring

A guy who backpacked through Vietnam told me. I have no idea if he was bullshitting or not. I did this post completely without fact-checking, so what I said may be incredibly wrong. That's seriously a stream-of-consciousness recollection of everything I know about Vietnam.

• №❶ Passioη

they don't reply friendly PM? :P

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

@Father of Boring:

It's full of short people and drugs: Short people - lol maybe true...compare to Beijing. I'm tiny in Beijing but in my country im average . Drug- Not a lot, at least I dont see people selling them on the street at night like in Sanlitun .

Incredibly beautiful, wild: Yes

and has some of the most hard-drinking, hard-partying people anywhere on earth. : No comment , but Vietnamese men drink really A LOT. >< especially Southern people.

Everyone has a relative in every province, northerners don't hate the government but don't like it, southerners hate the government period: Hahaha Maybe .

and everyone would rather live anywhere than Ho Chih Minh City if they got the chance, because it's ugly as sin: This is wrong , everyone tries to get to live in big cities like Hanoi , Ho Chi Minh

It's really hot, really tropical, and bugs and snakes and scorpions will kill you if you look at them funny. LOL, It is true . But they dont know if you look at them funny or not , they still bite.

Northern & southern dialects of the language are really, really different, and people sometimes have to communicate by writing, because they have no way to talk otherwise. Wrong

It's cheap and everyone rides bikes: True

• Nicole Webber
    Nicole Webber wrote:

They are very nice hard working people.

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

haha Nicole thanks but why do think so?

• Nicole Webber
    Nicole Webber wrote:

I had a friend in Vietnam.

• Christian Jacques, Photography

Had quite lot of Vietnamese friends around me in France. Will be going soon to Hanoi to get my own feeling of the city and around !

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Vietnamese coffee is fucking awesome. I love those little drip pots on top of the mugs, and the sweetened condensed milk in lieu of cream and sugar.

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

@单独子儿 (随便叫兽) : oh yeah, do u know any vietnamese coffee shop in Beijing?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm afraid you'd know better than I, @Michelle.

As a side note, I found Le Petite Saigon to be rather disappointing.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Bump.

There's a little Vietnamese restaurant near Jianguomen subway. From exit B, turn left and keep walking until the second crossing, then make another left.

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

how was it ? gonna try it soon thanks !

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

The food was just so-so (I'm not altogether fond of Vietnamese food in general), and their coffee was nice, I guess.

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

Vietnamese cuisine is delicious, Ao Dai is fabulous.

However, I always sense the nation reeking of hidden brutality and cruelty, sorry to say, it is probably because of the rumors of Vietnamese War and their overseas mafia, no offense.

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

@ Pear Blossom: lol the girls you know were in the war or in the movie something? They fought with guns?

• N-Die 北京的法国人

They are annoying ;)

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

@ Ndie" tieschant or whatever it spells !!!

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Vietnam was the first country to beat the USA in War... Olé sus huevos!!!

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

woooohoooooooooo and France as well !!!

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

@Persephone Tsang : I never heard of oversea vietnamese mafia rumor ? what is it about?

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

@$W@G : ahhaha so how do Vietnamese look like which is not like me?

• N-Die 北京的法国人

In Sydney, the vietnamese aera near Broadway is not safe ;)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... which part of Broadway? ... or have you got it mixed up with Cabramatta? I like the Vietnamese restaurants there, but it is a bit far to drive :)

• WeLiveInBeijingRess

don't know much about them, but the girl in good morning, vietnam is really adorable, r u mixed or total vietnamese? u look good, a bit exotic

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

Good morning , Vietnam?? hehe which show is that? I wanna watch itttt!!!!!!! Thanks!!! Wonderful to read it when I just wake up :))) BUT, it is just about the make up...Im totaly having a Vietnamese country side look when it comes off :P

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

awwww thanks !!!! watching it now !

• WeLiveInBeijingRess

give some feedback afterwards, how is the girl and the movie, :P

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

didn't know Vietnam had such cool motorbikes long time ago.. didn't know that there were so much Vietnamese women flirted with a lot of American ..:)))) God, every one was so young...!!! The girl is kind of cute 。 Funny how they describe Vietnamese women : small but fast.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... and Miss Tsang is still MIA :)

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Michelle Pham wrote:

woooohoooooooooo and France as well !!!

Vietnam clearly was not the first country to beat France in a war!! Many others have done so before haha!

• Michelle Pham
    Michelle Pham wrote:

Lol ok ok !!!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.