Discussion » Music » Guitar Gods

• Rockstar Mooney
    Rockstar Mooney wrote:

If you're gonna talk Rock and Roll, and particularly guitar players, here is a group of guys that need to be included in the discussion. From the screaming guitar of Eddie Van Halen, to the heavy riffs and powerful playing of Angus Young's Gibson SG, to the roots of the blues with B.B. King & lucille. It is likely that anyone playing guitar today has been influenced in one way or another by someone on this page.

Would love to see more names added.

Jimmy Hendrix

alt text

Blues Rock / Psychedelic rock

Fender Stratocaster, Gibson "Flying V"

The Jimmy Hendrix Experience, Gypsy Sun and the Rainbows.

Probably one of the most influential guitarists of all time. Hendrix usually played a Fender Stratocaster upside down and re-strung. He was an early pioneer, paving the way to Hard Rock, and eventually heavy Metal. Jimmy Hendrix was found dead in a London Hotel on September 18, 1970. Hendrix will always be number 1.

Jimmy Page

alt text

Rock

Famous for the Gibson EDS1275 used in Stairway to heaven, but more often played Gibson standards, named No.1 and No.2, and a host of Fenders and other guitars.

The Yardbirds, Led Zepellin, Page and Plant.

Eric Clapton

alt text

Rock, R&B, Blues.

Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster. (brownie and blackie) Gibson Les Paul, Gibson SG, Gibson ES-335

The Yardbirds, John Mayhall and the bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos

Nicknamed "Slowhand", has been inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame 3 times !

Angus Young

alt text

Rock, Blues.

Gibson SG

Formed AC/DC at age 18 with brother malcolm who plays rhythm guitar. AC/DC would later become one of the most influential Rock bands of all time.

Randy Rhoads

alt text

Hard Rock, Heavy Metal.

Jackson Flying V. Jackson Randy Rhoads signature model. Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Quiet Riot, Ozzy Ozbourne

"Mr. Crowley" and "Crazy Train" are two of the more well known songs he worked on. Randy Rhoads died in a small plane crash in 1982 while the pilot of the plane was buzzing Ozzy's tour bus. RIP Randy.

Eddie Van Halen

alt text

Rock

"Frankenstien" a modified stratocaster type guitar, usually a Kramer.

Probably most famous for "Eruption", the guitar solo intro to "you really got me."

Stevie Ray Vaughan

alt text

Blues

Fender Stratocaster

Double Trouble.

One of the most influential blues guitarists in america during his life and since his death. Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed in a helicopter crash in the early morning of August 27, 1990. His is sorely missed.

Joe Satriani

alt text

Instrumental Rock, Jazz Fusion, Hard Rock

Ibanez Joe Satriani Signature model

Joe Satriani, G3

Joe Satriani is a former guitar instructor who taught the likes of Kirk Hammet (Metallica) and Steve Vai. He started playing guitar at the age of 14 after learning of Jimmy Hendrix' death. Satch as his fans call him has been totally shredding ever since.

B.B KIng

alt text

R&B, Blues.

Lucille, a black Gibson ES-335

The most widely respected blues guitarist in the world. "Lucille" is his trademark guitar. B.B. King is the fictional mayor of XM Satellite's "Bluesville" radio channel.

Steve Vai

alt text

Rock, Hard Rock.

Ibanez JEM

David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Alcatrazz, Frank Zappa, G3.

Taught by Joe Satriani, Steve Vai is a virtuoso of guitar, and considered to be one of the more technically perfect rock guitarists.

Honorable Mention

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I'd put Richie Sambora ahead of all these guys...

• Simen Wangberg

I don't care enough to find pics or write short biographies or whatever, but that list is missing a pile of important/influential guitarists. IMO. Ummmn.

Frank Black/Joey Santiago (The Pixies), Greg Ginn (Black Flag), Ron Asheton (The Stooges), Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine), Robert Smith (The Cure), Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth). A shitload of others, I guess.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

My all time faves are the guys from Kidrash and the guy from Off Minor. Actually the whole band Off Minor kind of epitomise how I want to play drums, bass and guitar.

• Saint - Spartacus

i prefer the first two and steve vai .. there's a japanese guy good as god play guitar as a drum hit , but i forgot the name

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Django Reinhardt.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

Kirk Hemmet isnt really a good guitar player compared to the others. I would like to add Marty Friedman.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

What about Kaiser?

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

@BlueWellSky: Word! mate! :)

• Nicole Webber
    Nicole Webber wrote:

His real name is Brian and was famous for using the Fender Strat serial number 34346, finished in Fiesta Red, with gold hardware.. In 2009, to mark the The ** 50th anniversary and "34346", the original Stratocaster is being reproduced in detail by Fender's Custom Shop in California. Built by Fender Master Luthier Greg Fessler, the run is limited to 50 pieces and has been produced within Fender's Dealer Select program. Many artist name above wanted Fednder Strat after hearing him play. He started his career in 1956. He made Guest appearances 1972 to 2010

2008 Jason Donovan Let It Be Me on Dreamboats and Petticoats album 2008 Le QuecumBar Patrons Stars of Gypsy Swing ("Coquette", "Noto Swing") 2010 Jean-Pierre Danel M Appeal

Any guesses who this person is?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Jack White.

• Nicole Webber
    Nicole Webber wrote:

You are correct it was Hank Marvinlink text who began playing in 1956

Please don't forget Brian Jones from the Rolling Stones. He sadly died of a drugs overdose, he used to play a Vox Phantom Guitar.

• Deep忖
    Deep忖 wrote:

Mark Knopfler!David Gilmour!

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Jimmy Page for me. Saw him and Zep live at the O2 arena 4 years ago. Best night of my life - bar none.

No Quarter was outrageously awesome, but everything was epic.
    Hearing Stairway, live, by the real Led Zeppelin (my favorite band and I had previously resigned to the hard fact that I would NEVER see them live....but somehow it happened....bonham was stood in for by bonham jr.) was, frankly, a religeous experience for me, excuse the pun.

Front center row seats - could not get those tickets for love nor money. (Goldie, that was the most awesome thing a friend has ever done for me - and it wont ever be topped, I can never repay you dude.)

As eveileye said, the list should include Yngwie Malmsteen. Other than this omission I basically agree with it.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

"No Quarter" has always intrigued me. They have no other song like it. Riffsmith Jimmy Page had many great ideas, but most had a clear blues precedent. "No Quarter" always seemed somewhat unprecedented, actually original.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

JUst stop by ........................i want to say PAGE god....but why no one is woman...........

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

hahahaahahhaaha Octavianus. funny...........That mean's Guitar god don;t need to seeking love....? Or Seeking love is enemy of female who want to be a guitar god? really interesting......

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

hahaha happen to know it ...happen to answer ...Octavianus.....ponder and feel ...wo shi lai dao luan de........(.I have come to make little trouble) forgive me....haha

& thanks Rockstar ....................

• Nicole Webber
    Nicole Webber wrote:

It is important to trace history back to Ragtime and the Rev Gary Davis who was blind, one of his greatest fans was Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones. I feel we have had some amazing guitar players in the last 60 years each one has developed in different ways. In each generation music as technology in sound and instruments have improved

However, going back to the roots, one can understand how our greatest guitarist have developed in each of the generation. A good example is John Williams and a band called Sky in the 80's that came with a very different sound. (John Williams played the theme song of the Deer Hunter) John Williams was said to be the leading classical guitarist in the 20th century.

It come down to taste in music of the individual and I am sure somewhere some young person is twanging away on a guitar trying to get that sound in his mind to reality. To make the greatest guitarist of the 2020.

Sky

• Ecce Marce
    Ecce Marce wrote:

I actually love Robert Fripp the most.

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

Bass player?

Number one would be Paul McCartney. Not so much for the technical skill but for the importance of music history. Think of the bass line in "come together"... there have neven been anythink like that before...

Tony Levin. He play bass with those weird finger nails called sticks...

I personally also like sting for his early work for his work with unusual time measures. But now he got a bit older and less experimental.

Quite cool basslines can also be found int some songs of porcupine tree, but its again more about the composing than the actual playing techniqc

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

Geeedy Lee is from Rush, right? I think that band is outstanding for their drummer rather than for the bass. Though its amazing that he can sing, and play bass and keyboard at the same time...

Chris Squire? Hm, i forgot that guy... I love the bass line in Close to the Edge.

John Myung... They are all amazing at Dream Theater, thats where he plays, right? Just listened Scene from a Memory some days ago. Its my favorite album.

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

I actually prefer it when Lee sings in a bit a lower register as for eample in the begining of "the trees"...

Images and Words is definetly the first mile stone with Dream Theater. "Octavarium" does have some good tracks, but I found the lyrics a bit too shallow... esp. that track about terrorism...

I personally think that Page and Led Zeppelin in generall are a bit overrated.

• Alex ^∞
    Alex ^∞ wrote:

Anyone that says Zep is overrated...is....basically...ignorant. And hasnt listened to all (or any) of their albums.

If anything, I would say that Zep dont get ENOUGH credit. What they did in music was extremely innovative, wide impacting and changed the face of modern music forever.

Basically Moody layed it on the line when he said that they incorporated numerous musical genres into their compositions and blended them to make unique masterpieces - which then went on to inspire generations of countless bands and artists. The sheer variety of the sound Zep produced and the talent, quality and artistry of the band members can not be understated. They were, simply, master craftsmen in the art of music, and by my reckoning, the best band ever to have played together.

• Simen Wangberg

Old people are old. This...blues riff...is DIFFERENT! FROM THE OTHER ONES...before it. Yes?

No. No, it is pretty much the same. It will ALWAYS. be the same.

Sorry I've really tried hard to restrain myself since this thread started but holy shit. All of these classic rock bands blow. Like really they are not even remotely relevant anymore unless you're the lead singer of BLUESHAMMER, THE HEAVIEST BLUES BAND EVER TO oh god.

I mean alright, people like retro stuff. There's whole stores where you can buy retro clothing, you can buy old-ass furniture and stuff, and listen to old music and eat old food and just revel in everything that was once popular and meaningful but has been relegated to the cultural attic. But why would you want to?

And it's like people have this super-reverent attitude because all of these jerkoffs are either dead or super-old and...why? I mean most of these artists were just so uber-pretentious, petulant, self-indulgent...

"The Lizard King"? Is that the best that drunk asshole could do? "The Lemon Song", a song about being jerked off? I bow in the presence of the ROCK GODS AND THEIR LEMON SONGS. Fuck this noise.

And then someone will be like "well nyahnyah all those poofy little indie-noise bands you kids like so much wouldn't even be AROUND if it wasn't for classic rock!" except they would because you can trace all that shit back to the MC5 and the Stooges.

I will give the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Black Sabbath a pass. "Immigrant Song" gets a pass. Gilmour's guitar playing in Pink Floyd gets a pass. Robert Fripp and all those other weirdo guitar-looping dudes get a pass.

But all those other chumps can taste on my nuts. KISS? AC/DC? The Doors? Fuck fucking no. Horrible awful bands, rip-off derivative cock-rock supreme. You can thank all of those chodes for bullshit like Motley Crue and Limp Bizkit and that is the straight truth.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.