Discussion » Technology » Nano Car Has Molecular 4-Wheel Drive: Smallest Ele

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Reduced to the max: the emission-free, noiseless 4-wheel drive car, jointly developed by Empa researchers and their Dutch colleagues, represents lightweight construction at its most extreme. The nano car consists of just a single molecule and travels on four electrically-driven wheels in an almost straight line over a copper surface. The "prototype" can be admired on the cover of the latest edition of Nature.

The downside: the small car, which measures approximately 4x2 nanometres needs to be refuelled with electricity after every half revolution of the wheels -- via the tip of a scanning tunnelling microscope (STM). Furthermore, due to their molecular design, the wheels can only turn in one direction. "In other words: there's no reverse gear," says Ernst, who is also a professor at the University of Zurich, laconically.

Still the researchers have achieved their first objective, a "proof of concept," i.e. they have been able to demonstrate that individual molecules can absorb external electrical energy and transform it into targeted motion. The next step envisioned by Ernst and his colleagues is to develop molecules that can be driven by light, perhaps in the form of UV lasers.

• Mengmeng
  • Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Geeze, it kills to add pic here!, I can't put text and pic in the same box.

I think it can be use to detect pathological cells and eliminate dangerous virus.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.